Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

Hopefully I'll get some good news today about these irons

You with these irons may be unfair.
Something has been pulling me toward these over the last month. Excited to get some reps before Savannah

Something has been pulling me toward these over the last month. Excited to get some reps before Savannah

I saw you were mentioning comboing these - are you going that route, or the 545 across the board? I don't think you can go wrong either way, really, but the 545 gets you 99% of the looks of a club that's usually a lot harder to hit, with forgiveness close to a lot of larger clubs.

nice TOAD...i knew you would like that setup. the results are scary with those shafts.
Went in and took a few swings on the monitor last night after work (Checking trajectory for lie issues).
Man, the stuff he can show you, and explain in easy terms, is amazing. I was hitting my 7 mostly straight, sometimes with a slight straight pull.
He showed me on a freeze frame of the video that my hands were either coming through on impact right where they're supposed to be, or just slightly above the swing plane.
He also said I'm about one hair from being OTT, that from what he can see, I'm neither inside, or over, but right down the line, but if i get even 1° OTT, then that 'straight left' comes into play.
I was hitting good balls though. 9 shots within 6 yards off center either way, with one outlier pulling to 10 yards left. He said my smash factor was low to mid 1.30s, apparently optimal for a 7i. :shrug:

On the one I pulled, he showed me my swing path, angle of attack, hand position, and all kinds of red and yellow lines. My club head came through a tad closed, 4.1°. My spin was, of course, 4.0° left. He said that indicates a good lie angle, because you subtract one from the other and get .1 degree too upright. (or something like that) He said I turn my hands over really quick after contact, which can get dangerous. I talked him into bending two clubs 1° flat so I can just see how they work out, and if it does, he'll bend the rest to match.

Side notes. He asked if I was fitted into the 545/680 shaft combo because it seemed to be a near-perfect setup for me. :woot:
He was watching the shaft load/unload on video freezes and liked how they worked with me. "Just don't get fast with it."
Also, I "have a really decent swing for a big fella". LOL "Your timing is almost perfect and your lag is great. Just watch out for going over the top."

falling out of love with the j15 df?

I got a call that The Golf Station in Hurst, TX, received my clubs and they were doing the reshaft. They double-checked to make sure about what I wanted, and said they'd call me today when they're done. Modus3 Tour 120X... If I see on-course what I saw in the fitting, this is going to be fun!

Went in and took a few swings on the monitor last night after work (Checking trajectory for lie issues).
Man, the stuff he can show you, and explain in easy terms, is amazing. I was hitting my 7 mostly straight, sometimes with a slight straight pull.
He showed me on a freeze frame of the video that my hands were either coming through on impact right where they're supposed to be, or just slightly above the swing plane.
He also said I'm about one hair from being OTT, that from what he can see, I'm neither inside, or over, but right down the line, but if i get even 1° OTT, then that 'straight left' comes into play.
I was hitting good balls though. 9 shots within 6 yards off center either way, with one outlier pulling to 10 yards left. He said my smash factor was low to mid 1.30s, apparently optimal for a 7i. :shrug:

On the one I pulled, he showed me my swing path, angle of attack, hand position, and all kinds of red and yellow lines. My club head came through a tad closed, 4.1°. My spin was, of course, 4.0° left. He said that indicates a good lie angle, because you subtract one from the other and get .1 degree too upright. (or something like that) He said I turn my hands over really quick after contact, which can get dangerous. I talked him into bending two clubs 1° flat so I can just see how they work out, and if it does, he'll bend the rest to match.

Side notes. He asked if I was fitted into the 545/680 shaft combo because it seemed to be a near-perfect setup for me. :woot:
He was watching the shaft load/unload on video freezes and liked how they worked with me. "Just don't get fast with it."
Also, I "have a really decent swing for a big fella". LOL "Your timing is almost perfect and your lag is great. Just watch out for going over the top."

awesome. that is some good stuff there. the 680 is a solid shaft even at a lightweight for a faster SS. glad they are working out for you

Not at all, actually found some distance in my long irons the other day. Just have kind of lusted after these since last summer
Not at all, actually found some distance in my long irons the other day. Just have kind of lusted after these since last summer

The FedEx guy left me a present for me when I got home! 5-pw, 1 long, 3 up with tour velvet midsize. They look awesome!

The FedEx guy left me a present for me when I got home! 5-pw, 1 long, 3 up with tour velvet midsize. They look awesome!

Fedex gets around ... got my 5-PW, Std Length, 2d Up, 670 Recoils Reg (F3), red UTX's .. shwingg ..:golf: .. I've been scuffing up my carpet while working from home

After reading all the great reviews and drooling over the photos of these clubs, I couldn't stand it any longer and picked up a set. After 11 rounds over the last 3 weeks with the z545's, I can easily say, these are the best irons I've ever played with.

A little info about my previous equipment and game. I normally score around 80. 75-85 range. I've always driven and putted the ball fairly well, but my iron play has always been the weakest part of my game. I've mostly played Titlest irons over the last 10 years or so. Last 2 seasons were with the AP1 714 with TT XP 95 regular shaft. My swing has always produced a low ball flight, something I've tried to remedy over the years but with little success......until now.

Bought the 4 thru PW basically brand new (all but the 5 and 6 iron were still in the plastic) for $550 shipped. Came with the Nippon NSPRO 950 in regular flex. I'm not a big simulator/numbers guy, and I don't exactly know what my swing speed is, but this head/shaft combination seems to really match my swing very well. I'm hitting the ball much higher than I ever have in the past.

The Srixons are lofted 1 degree stronger than the AP1s, so I expected them to be a bit longer, but they are actually about a full club longer from top to bottom. Couple this with the higher ball flight and I'm discovering shots that I've never hit before. With my low ball flight, I've ALWAYS had trouble holding the green with the long irons. Even a 7 iron would sometimes skip to the back or off the green. In the past 2 days I have 3 times hit a 175 yard 6 iron, looked like a wedge and stuck the green just a few feet from the ball mark. Honestly, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've done that in the last 10 years.

The Nippon shafts are lighter than most shafts, and the club overall has a lighter feel to me, but these irons have the most solid feel of any club I've ever hit. I am by no means a great ball striker so I hit it out, in, high, low on the club face a lot of the time. But every hit has a solid feel, and the ball still flies fairly straight with 85-90% of expected distance. I can tell you the Srixons are more forgiving than the AP1.

I love the look of these club as everyone seems to agree that they are a pretty club. The size of the head and the top line are nearly identical to the AP1. I believe the V grind sole is a huge help to me as well. I'm a digger, and my swing is pretty shallow with a lot of turf contact, hence the afore mentioned low ball flight. I've really noticed that these irons seem to glide thru the grass and into the ball with a lot less interaction with the turf.

The only little thing I didn't care for was the stock grips. Not a fan of the UTX grips, but that's just personal preference. Immediately replaced them with a set of GP tour wraps and all was well. Sorry for being so long winded, but I just can't say enough good things about the performance of these clubs.

I'm really interested in these, the problem is that I can't find anywhere that has them to try out. :at-wits-end:

There's no way this 6 iron should have only lost 10 yards of carry and stayed right on line, but it did

8fe7be254f75850935fb736b0ca5c648.jpg

Shoulda hit your 5 iron then :D

Joking aside, I do like that kind of forgiveness as I have hit a few shots myself whilst adjusting to these that I thought were never going to get anywhere near where I wanted them to be

Used my AW this week. Had big plans for it on one hole in particular (130 yard major down hill hole). This hole has given me trouble in the past for some reason, and my miss would be a chunky shot usually. Never even an issue with the sole design, it played awesome. Had several other nice shots as well, and only had to watch I didn't get too quick as its a light shaft. These are in the running as my next set for sure.

The 545 get the ball up there, though in my experience not to the same extent as some of the more GI irons (Ping G series, Cleveland MT, Big Bertha). I have limited demo experience with the CB3 - demoed them a few times and always liked them, but I'd say the profile is similar. 545 will likely be longer, as it's one of the longest clubs I've hit. The DG shaft is relatively low launching, so you might want to try the KBS, which is a no upcharge shaft in the 545 (that's what I have in mine), or if you want to go lighter, the Nippon 950. I know a few people are playing that shaft here as well and like it.

Just what I was looking for, thanks! Definitely going to give these a hit in Tokyo.

The par 3 17th was playing at 172 yards to the pin yesterday. Front of the green was 160 yards. I pulled the 6 iron and caught it beautifully, arrow straight over the flag, landed 182 yards, hopped 12 inches right and stopped. (Then 2 putted). I like to get my moneys worth from my clubs and use all the face, toe hits are nowhere near as penalising as my Apex were. They still go roughly where I am aiming just a little shorter.

I'm really interested in these, the problem is that I can't find anywhere that has them to try out. :at-wits-end:

If it tells you anything, the factory is at a 2-3 week backlog... They're cutting new heads but can't keep up with the orders coming in. Your best bet is getting fitted somewhere and ordering from a website that can get them drop-shipped from the manufacturer. At least that's what I did.

If it tells you anything, the factory is at a 2-3 week backlog... They're cutting new heads but can't keep up with the orders coming in. Your best bet is getting fitted somewhere and ordering from a website that can get them drop-shipped from the manufacturer. At least that's what I did.
Took 5-1/2 weeks for my custom order to be delivered (ordered via TGW)

Last edited:
Woo-hoo! They're here!!! Maiden voyage is tomorrow! If I see on-course, anything CLOSE to what I saw in my fitting, this could be a LOT of fun! Thanks to Tim and Neal at the Golf Station in Hurst, TX, for the fitting and build! I'm so stoked!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434639331.684174.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434639340.362471.jpg

Woo-hoo! They're here!!! Maiden voyage is tomorrow! If I see on-course, anything CLOSE to what I saw in my fitting, this could be a LOT of fun! Thanks to Tim and Neal at the Golf Station in Hurst, TX, for the fitting and build! I'm so stoked!
View attachment 20461
View attachment 20462

I am going to guess that you will be having fun on the course tomorrow, can't wait to hear how they work for you

Stop tinkering and just play some golf already ;)

Ha! "Gotta get fit," is what you say, right??? All everyone ever says... This was my first fitting for these clubs. No need to "tinker" now!!!

Back