How to create lag.

Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
I did a search and found 4 of this same thread but they all only had at most 9 responses. So, I decided I would like to ask again for those who wonder as well.

How does someone create lag in the golf swing. It seems that I have lost some of my distance from last summer to this summer. I know its the Indian and not the bow. Is there a drill I can do that will help me create more lag. Is lag something you can actually teach? I have really been struggling this year with distance and accuracy.

I did a search and found 4 of this same thread but they all only had at most 9 responses. So, I decided I would like to ask again for those who wonder as well.

How does someone create lag in the golf swing. It seems that I have lost some of my distance from last summer to this summer. I know its the Indian and not the bow. Is there a drill I can do that will help me create more lag. Is lag something you can actually teach? I have really been struggling this year with distance and accuracy.

So what did the other threads say?

They mentioned a wall drill and a drill using a chair. I just did another search and found one that Fupe did. Let me read through that one.

Just my two cents.... Be very careful when trying to "add" lag in a golf swing. It often does more harm than good.

Honestly, the easiest thing to do and focus on is keeping the trail arm bent as long as possible with some trail shoulder rotation. When thinking about trail shoulder rotation, think about the feeling of skipping a rock on a pond and how your arm goes backwards. If you can work some of that feeling into your golf swing you will be flattening the shaft which is also very beneficial and keep the club lagging without having to manipulate anything.

Forcing lag is a good way to eventually get stuck. Best thing I did was stop focusing on lag and just start on properly initiating my swing with my lower body.

In my opinion, lag is byproduct of proper swing sequencing, not something you consciously do. If all the parts aren't working together correctly, you'll lose lag as your brain attempts to rescue the shot and get the club face square at the last moment. But if things are working well together, you can stay behind the ball, use the lower body and your brain will allow lag to happen because it knows the proper sequencing is there to get the club face square.

A myriad of things can throw your sequencing off, so help may be required to figure out if it's a specific thing or a combination of things causing it.

Forcing lag is a good way to eventually get stuck. Best thing I did was stop focusing on lag and just start on properly initiating my swing with my lower body.

Very good post. "Lag" will happen naturally by using a good takeaway and letting the wrist set naturally and then using lower body to initiate swing. Let the weight of the club do the work

What happened to the post I made?

The club head is behind him but his arms are in front of his chest as his hips clear.

Creating lag only works against you if you allow the arms to get behind you. If the arms remain in front of the chest, you won't get stuck. So holding the angle isn't a bad thing when trying to create lag. And contrary to other quotes, it doesn't happen naturally in all golfers.

okay, after reading. And the pic of Rory you posted. I know without a video of my swing it's hard to tell. Could it be that I'm not starting my downswing with my hips. I'm starting to think that is what my issue is.

I don't recall seeing you casting the club at all. You seemed to get a lot of wrist set at the top of your backswing.

Back