Microsoft & Taylormade Team up - Microsoft Band/GPS/Scorecard

Looks great in theory. I hate wearing things on my wrist when I golf, so it would likely be a no go for me.

Quick question: the video mentioned it can calculate strokes gained. How would it calculate that? Would it compare the individual's round against each other?

That's my only concern too as I normally don't wear a watch. But I checked the specs and its lighter than the lightest apple watch and the same as the lightest garmin GPS watch I saw. I have worn it yet so interest in the feel yet, but I'm actually going to go check them out tonight and possibly pick one up

It's worth trying on. Maybe it's not heavy. I tried it on last Fall when it came out. But the tech of the watch is literally embedded in the entire band, so its just kind of rigid. It's a great device with a heck of a lot of cool features. The fact that MS was smart enough to make it compatible with iOS, and android i believe, it just icing on the cake. Smart on their part. Assuming it sells well enough, I'm expecting them to figure out how to pack that tech in a more flexible band. And when that happens, I may just pick one up.

However, for the time being, I have a TomTom watch, and I don't even notice its on while golfing.

~Rock

This looks awesome. The perfect blend of gps, gamegolf/arcos, fitness bands, etc. It's just missing a laser for range finding. Is it too much to ask for a watch with a freakin' laser beam?

Show me iOS support and I'm intrigued. I don't think there are enough wristbands, watches, etc. to make me want a Microsoft phone.
It says it's operable with iPhone and Android.

And if you haven't had a Windows phone, I wouldn't knock it ... they're pretty darn good.

pretty cool device. Seems to capture a lot of data both for golf and health.

pretty cool device. Seems to capture a lot of data both for golf and health.
If they could capture body temperature and sweat amount, I could buy one for field work ... would be a good device to monitor the body and warn the wearer if they're reaching heat exhaustion levels.

ETA: Looks like those sensors are in the watch already. Not sure I saw anything that said an app will provide that information to you readily though.

If they could capture body temperature and sweat amount, I could buy one for field work ... would be a good device to monitor the body and warn the wearer if they're reaching heat exhaustion levels.

ETA: Looks like those sensors are in the watch already. Not sure I saw anything that said an app will provide that information to you readily though.

not a bad idea at all. Tell a player or remind them to hydrate and things like that.

at $199 it isn't a bad price IMO and I am a cheapskate. You can get it around $150 used on the bay right now too.

I wonder if can upload/sync your game stats to the handicap orgs

This is the first non GPS golf watch that has interested me, maybe when my garmin dies!

Decent price and the exercise component will make it an easier sell to the CFO than a golf GPS watch. I will be interested in seeing the reviews.

Decent price and the exercise component will make it an easier sell to the CFO than a golf GPS watch. I will be interested in seeing the reviews.

oh yea, I'm not even telling the wife it has golf functionality..."this is for my health to make sure I can do more work around the house..."

This is actually something I'd consider. Not big on these health bands or what not, but this one intrigues me

Anyone here know when TaylorMade's MyRoundPro is going to be available? I know it says coming soon on the site, curious if that means weeks or months..... I bought one of these - mostly because it does everything my Garmin Vivofit did and more, but I would love to be able to use the golf gps with it yet this year.

This is a pretty cool selling feature for the Microsoft Band - cool that it has the GPS built in, though that has something to do with the size of the device - a coworker has one, and I find it significantly less comfortable than a fitbit, or even the apple watch. Definitely something I'd buy and use for golf, but probably not wear daily.

Anyone here know when TaylorMade's MyRoundPro is going to be available? I know it says coming soon on the site, curious if that means weeks or months..... I bought one of these - mostly because it does everything my Garmin Vivofit did and more, but I would love to be able to use the golf gps with it yet this year.

I don't think anyone knows but I think you can sign up and be notified when it is available. whatever it is, make sure you keep us posted on how it works for you. I am very interested

Definitely interested in the comfortability aspect of this band. Heard it's a bit sucky ... may wait to the next iteration to see if they can make it more wrist-friendly.

My wife was thinking about getting this fitness band, but decided on the FitBit HR instead. Now, I'm wishing she had, so I could snag her band when I play, just to use this app when it comes out. Bummer, guess I might have to get one from myself.

Definitely interested in the comfortability aspect of this band. Heard it's a bit sucky ... may wait to the next iteration to see if they can make it more wrist-friendly.

I tried one out at the MS store - it was something I didn't see myself wearing daily because it felt uncomfortable. Which sort of defeats the point of a fitness tracker. But I am hoping they get some traction, as I think there are a ton of good ideas there. Of course, I said the same about Windows Phone, which I love the idea of, but it just never took off.

It's a shame this is only on Windows Phone.

In regards to the comfort of the Microsoft Band - I noticed it the first day, but now it just feels like any other watch. It's bigger and less flexible than my Garmin Vivofit, but obviously you sacrifice some of that for having a large display and more functionality. This said - I work in an office and that isn't ideal. I wear the watch face down and it's constantly hitting the keyboard or the desk. I'm afraid of scratching it so I keep taking it off when I'm sitting down.

I like the fact the I can push the on button and instantly see the time and the number of steps I've taken. It wasn't hard on the Vivofit, but you had to swipe over a few screens to see it. This is more of a quick-at a glance thing that probably just means I'm lazy. I also like the tiles and the way text messages and calendar events show up. I am having trouble getting my emails to sync up. I'm not sure if this is because I have an iPhone or because I have multiple accounts, but I'm betting it has more to do with user error and me not taking enough time to read instructions and set everything up properly. If that doesn't improve after I have a chance to dig into it more, I could be disappointed.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase so far. I don't think it's for everyone. Just depends what you want from one of these "smart" watches. I'm excited to see how this works as far as golf is concerned. I'm hoping the TaylorMade App comes out soon. I think that will make a huge impact on whether I keep this for the long haul or move on to something new.

I had the band for a few weeks, you do get used to it for wear, but ultimately I just didn't use the features enough and did not like charging it each day or two. I also wanted the running features of the Garmin 620 for cadence and run stats so I sold my band and got the Gamin run watch and Garmin golf S4. Daily normal watch-- I prefer the lighter Timex watch to a fitness tracker. Microsoft is pushing hard to tie in with the industry leaders Iphone and Apple so this is a great way to add value to the band. I see this as a great add on for the watch, with the warning that GPS use drains any watch pretty fast on power.

Back