New clubs for my daughter

dizzyg12

Reaction score
Handicap
My daughter outgrew her little starter set, so I need to get her a new set. She seven years old, and about 48 inches tall.

I looked at a few sets and had a question on what would be best.

There is A top Flite set 48-52" and then the next set goes from 53 inches and up.

The us kids sets are up to 51" and then up to 53"

I want to get something she doesn't out grow in a year but something that isn't too big for many obvious reasons.

She's a skinny kid, small for her age (8 in August. At 48" she's still under 50lbs. So in addition to a club maybe being too long I don't want it to be too heavy for her to control as well.

What would you guys suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked out the Cobra junior stuff? It's really well done.

I would second JB's suggestion. My daughter (now 12, and a little bit of a runt) moved into a junior Cobra set after a couple of US Kids sets. I purposely bought sets that were a touch too big, so that she had room to grow into them over a couple of seasons... She just grips down on the club, which shortens the length, and also reduces the "effective" swing weight.

One other unexpected positive of the junior Cobra set, is that my daughter immediately became a fan of Lexi Thompson, and has even more interest in playing and occasionally even watching some LPGA coverage.

Those Cobra sets look nice, but are still a lot pricier than the USKids offerings, IMO. I recently bought my son a new "full" set of clubs from USKids (via Morton Golf Sales). I got him a driver, hybrid, 6-PW, and SW for $229, incl. tax and free shipping. His bag and putter are still in good so I didn't upgrade those.

I really like the USKids system and I feel they are a good value. I like that you can buy individual clubs, so if you don't think your kid really needs a 5-SW set, with a driver, FW, and hybrid + putter and a bag, you don't have to get all of those things.

I like the Cobra stuff, Callaway also makes good kids clubs as well.

Those Cobra sets look nice, but are still a lot pricier than the USKids offerings, IMO. I recently bought my son a new "full" set of clubs from USKids (via Morton Golf Sales). I got him a driver, hybrid, 6-PW, and SW for $229, incl. tax and free shipping. His bag and putter are still in good so I didn't upgrade those.

I really like the USKids system and I feel they are a good value. I like that you can buy individual clubs, so if you don't think your kid really needs a 5-SW set, with a driver, FW, and hybrid + putter and a bag, you don't have to get all of those things.

I'm 21 and have no kids, but I would second this. Seems prudent to me to grab the kid a 5, 7, 9, PW and driver. No reason to buy a bunch of clubs when they're going to outgrow them in a year or two.

Thanks guys! I haven't looked at the cobra set closely - I did see them online at a few sets at the store. They said I could bring her in and they'd open them up and let us try them. Also they give a free 30 minute lesson if you buy a set

I ended up getting her the cobra set for 5-8 (up to 52"). 6 clubs and a bag. $111 after my coupons and discounts. Normally $180. The top Flite set was less money but ultimately shorter length and she would out grow them too quickly. She hit both of them into the monitor. Definitely felt the cobra was more suited for her. She did well, hitting the driver she gets about 60-75 total yards consistently. And probably 40-50 with the 7 iron. Considering I'm teaching her myself that's not bad lol. We will go for the free lesson and I want to look at summer camps for her. I'm not pushing it but she's showing some interest and wants to go out on the course. I'm hopefully going to get her out there a couple times this season for 9 holes her and their and take it from there.

From an equipment standpoint the set looks good quality and great color scheme/marketing with Lexi on the box.

Back