using balls with scuffs or imperfections yet you fine tune your clubs

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
This is not about how often or when you change balls....we've had threads about just when do we change balls based on wear. I actually started such a thread not all too long ago. And there is one thing I found strange in those threads.

Many people will not let minor scuffs and imperfections bother them. What doesn't make sense to me is when those same people are into proper fitted clubs and balls and etc. being fitted is about perfecting our trade so as we are (or have) the best suited everything for our swing. The results of this are not normally of huge significance nor do they truly fix big swing problems but are much more about fine tuning what works best for us. I think we all sort of understand that its always much more the Indian than the arrows.

But we do it because we feel its important to fine tune and suit our swings with that of which helps us the most. And it all makes good sense to do so.

But why then do all that and yet play a ball that is scuffed or imperfections? The flight of the ball will be affected by this. Imo its a very technical thing as for the dimple patterns, and the overall smoothness (or roundness). When that surface area is affected even the slightest bit it will throw the balls flying characteristics out of sync. It changes the aerodynamics of the ball. It may not be a lot for something minor but on such a small surface that is spinning so fast it doesn't take a lot to change it. So with that, if you fine tune your clubs to fit your swing to make it as optimal as possible then why would you use a ball who's fine tuned cover has been even a little scuffed therefore affecting its fine tuned aerodynamics?

This game and tuning our set up is about small tolerances. why then does a scuffed ball not weigh in on that same logic? Its something that is working against the whole principle of fine tuning your equipment imo. Sort if implying why bother fine tuning everything you can yet than play a ball with an imperfection that will affect its flight.

Just curious. I am a bit nuts and wont play a ball unless its in pretty darn good looking cover. And my reasoning is what I ask about above. Plus it makes me feel better. lol

Why don't you ask them directly?

Unless I hit a cart path or tree or rock or some other agent, I rarely see a damaged ball anymore. Cover technology has come a long way in the past 3 years.

Great point and to add, here are a few things I've read on the effects of scuffs, dirt, mud, etc on golf balls.
Obviously, this varies on the degree of scuff or dirt

* affects the spin (lopsidedness) of the ball especially for the higher spin rates.
* 3-10 yards off line for about a 200 yard shot
* can decrease distance 3-7 yards for a 200 yard shot.

Unless I hit a cart path or tree or rock or some other agent, I rarely see a damaged ball anymore. Cover technology has come a long way in the past 3 years.

Same here. Plus a single ball round isn't really in my game right now, so they're usually gone before I would (if I could) notice any difference. I am a little anal about cleaning my ball though. Want it to be clean for whoever finds it.

I agree - I typically change out a scuffed ball; I need all the help I can get. That said, I played a round last weekend where I scuffed it and finished out the round with it. Single ball round and it was flying well, so I didn't mess with the mojo. Maybe the only time I haven't kicked one to the shag bag.

Great point and to add, here are a few things I've read on the effects of scuffs, dirt, mud, etc on golf balls.
Obviously, this varies on the degree of scuff or dirt

* affects the spin (lopsidedness) of the ball especially for the higher spin rates.
* 3-10 yards off line for about a 200 yard shot
* can decrease distance 3-7 yards for a 200 yard shot.

I see this (and worse) on many shots, even with a brand new ball!

This is a good topic. I will take a ball out of play if there is the slightest imperfection. Not because I'm worried about ball fight so much, I'm sure I'm not good enough to notice the slight variation in flight. I do it because I know it will get in my head.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

I really don't care either way. 95% of the balls I play are scavenged so most have scuffs or imperfections already. Although I'm sure the science is correct, I haven't noticed a discernable difference one way or the other. A good shot tends to go where I want it to, whether the ball is scuffed or not.

Now, I will only play new balls in major tournament rounds, just to be sure, but for the most part, zero f^@#$ shall be given.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I see what you're saying but there is a tolerance of "scuffs" that can occur before performance in normal conditions drop off. In 10+ MPH winds I'll not play scuff balls since I do tend to get a bit more ballooning. Having properly fitted clubs also has a tolerance as well, so I think if the ball and club is "close enough" you'll see gains in performance. Pretty sure that's all that needs to be achieved to shoot a good round "close enough".

Why don't you ask them directly?

I hit lots of trees

This is actually something I have wondered about as well. I am not good enough to think that a small scuff would affect my game (given my level of play). But if I see a big gouge in the ball off a cart path or tree, I will switch the ball. I definitely continue playing the ball though it if is just got a minor scratch/scrape off either a tree or the cart path.

I hit lots of trees
There are only 3 trees in play at my home course. And that's only barely. I have never seen somebody hit a tree there. It's wonderful, if you like wind.

I use the ball until its scuffed up pretty badly. Unless it is a match or tournament I will always use a fresh ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are only 3 trees in play at my home course. And that's only barely. I have never seen somebody hit a tree there. It's wonderful, if you like wind.

Are there lots of bunkers in play though? My home course has tons of trees in play. But then again, the way I play the houses on both sides of the hole(s) are always in play too .. :D

Off-topic but one of my family friends holds the record of bouncing his ball off the roof on 3 different houses .. and then somehow still managing to bounce back in play.

Are there lots of bunkers in play though? My home course has tons of trees in play. But then again, the way I play the houses on both sides of the hole(s) are always in play too .. :D

Off-topic but one of my family friends holds the record of bouncing his ball off the roof on 3 different houses .. and then somehow still managing to bounce back in play.

No. Not too many bunkers. Just a lot of tall fescue and OB.

Probably 160 in play at mine and another 250 not in play haven't actually counted though.

When premium urethane golf balls cost as much as they do it is hard to pull a ball out of play because it has some minor scuffing. Yes I pay more for good quality balls but in my opinion even a slightly scuffed ball will perform much better than a cheap pinnacle or top flite would. Like someone said earlier in the thread, though, the covers on these balls have gotten pretty darn good. The only time I really see any scuffing is if I'm playing a lot of wedges from fairways. Fortunately or unfortunately for me I'm not in the fairway too often so it isn't too big of a problem... SMH

When premium urethane golf balls cost as much as they do it is hard to pull a ball out of play because it has some minor scuffing. Yes I pay more for good quality balls but in my opinion even a slightly scuffed ball will perform much better than a cheap pinnacle or top flite would. Like someone said earlier in the thread, though, the covers on these balls have gotten pretty darn good. The only time I really see any scuffing is if I'm playing a lot of wedges from fairways. Fortunately or unfortunately for me I'm not in the fairway too often so it isn't too big of a problem... SMH

Pretty much nailed it. Heck, I play Vice Pro Softs which are not as expensive as the Pro V's/Chrome Softs but if I am having a bad day and end up losing 3-4 in the first 9 holes I end up switching to the cheaper backups I have (Wilson 50/50). At my level of play, I would just cut my losses if I feel if it is going to be that kind of day. And that is when I start turning the game around .. because I actually stop over-thinking the game, simplify it and just step up to the ball and hit it.

lost golf balls mint for most rounds and new balls for tournaments/money games

lost golf balls mint for most rounds and new balls for tournaments/money games
I do not understand this philosophy. Regardless of what the situation is I am always trying to go as low as I can go. Plus, different balls have different feel, distances, playability etc... I have to use the same type of ball always; I need the consistency.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Sorry same brand and in theory 99% same as new. Just take the slight chance of a bad one out of play when $ is on the line. I think in the 200 balls I have gotten from the site 1 or 2 did something weird.
In case I wasn't clear lost golf balls is a website selling mint used balls, I don't just play the random ones I find.

It's is really hard for me to take a ball out of play. I have started to take them out from time to time but it scuffed ball that has not been lost for me sort of feels like a badge of honor. When I play one ball for the round is normally the lowest rounds I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't notice that much of a drop off in performance unless the ball is really scuffed or has dirt/mud on it. Of course I used to play balata balls back in the day and sometimes it would be warped and I wouldn't notice until I putted and it rolled all weird. Modern ball tech is very very good.

Back