Callaway Irons that play like Ping G20s?

CanaryKid

Reaction score
Handicap
A strange request for suggestions please.

I have a full set of Pings (which I really like) and a second set comprising Callaway driver, wood and hybrids (which I also really like) and Taylormade irons. I play well enough with the Taylormade irons (Burner 2009), but the stupid OCD in me is wanting to get Callaway irons to make it an "all Callaway" set.

The problem is that I can't find any Callaway irons that I like. I bought (and quickly resold) a second hand set of Edge irons and a set of Big Bertha irons (I can't recall which year's model) ... both looked too "chunky" behind the ball and I simply couldn't get the distance I do with my Ping or Taylormade irons.

Does anyone have any suggestions for past or present Callaway irons that might look and behave something like Ping G20s? A tall order perhaps ... and I know that I really should get over my OCD on this subject.

Thanks.

Would the XR OS be equivalent? I am sure someone else would chime in but that's my thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the G20 irons look pretty chunky. If they don't look too chunky to you.....I'd recommend the Xhot irons, which appear less chunky than the G20's and get great distance, and of course the very popular Apex CF16's which are not chunky at all and are really long.

I think the G20 irons look pretty chunky. If they don't look too chunky to you.....I'd recommend the Xhot irons, which appear less chunky than the G20's and get great distance, and of course the very popular Apex CF16's which are not chunky at all and are really long.

This. The X Hot would play close, performance wise to the G20. Others to consider RAZR, Diablo Edge, Steelhead XR and Steelhead XR Pro.

The Steelhead/XR/XHot/X2Hot would be the irons most similar to the G series.

Another vote for XR OS.

This. The X Hot would play close, performance wise to the G20. Others to consider RAZR, Diablo Edge, Steelhead XR and Steelhead XR Pro.

The Diablo Edge, while being one of my favorite iron sets, is definitely on the chunky side and may not fit his eye like the Berthas & Edges did. I do agree on the Steelhead XRs though, along with the regular XR line for a good deal.

Thanks to all who replied ... I think I will have a look at the X2 Hot, as this has reminded me that I know a guy who has a set, and the XR range. I will post again once I have (hopefully) found a suitable set. Cheers!

I've tried the Xhot, X2 Hot, XR OS and Steelheads. In my opinion you'd have to go back a few years to the RAZR or RAZR XL ( I think they were called) to get the easyness factor of the G20's

A quick update ... I have had a look at a few sets and have come to the conclusion that I just don't like the look of Callaway irons at set-up ... so I have told my "one manufacturer" OCD to get lost. I played with my Burner irons yesterday and I really like them, so they are staying.

As can be seen from my latest signature, my OCD won out and I bought a half set of Callaway XR irons. Ho-hum.

Back