Wilson Staff FG Tour TC Wedges Review

I'm going 52/56/60 for certain.

Not sure on color yet, but leaning towards black.
Also debating if I want to go with the tour grind on the 60.

I'm going 52/56/60 for certain.

Not sure on color yet, but leaning towards black.
Also debating if I want to go with the tour grind on the 60.
IIRC you said you pretty much open the face on every shot around the green with your 60, so I think tour grind would make some sense.

IIRC you said you pretty much open the face on every shot around the green with your 60, so I think tour grind would make some sense.
Yeah I do.
I also use the 60 for a lot of full, 3/4, and 1/2 swings so versatility is my number one concern. I'd hate to turn my 60 into a one trick pony so I'm leaning towards a traditional grind.

Yeah I do.
I also use the 60 for a lot of full, 3/4, and 1/2 swings so versatility is my number one concern. I'd hate to turn my 60 into a one trick pony so I'm leaning towards a traditional grind.
same thoughts over here... you can still play any shot around the green with a 60* no matter what grind it has. I don't want to make it harder to hit from the fairway if needed

Yeah I do.

I guess it depends on whether the tour grind is blended or if it's a straight up heel grind (I don't know). The forged coppers I have offer some heel relief but it's more gradual, so they don't dig like crazy on full swings.

Had a very good day with my 56* yesterday. I got up & down 5 times from around the green yesterday & would have had a couple of more if I could have made the putts. I attribute these results partly to the wedge itself & partly to changing my set up to mimic Jim Furyk's style around the green & sticking with it. I used to have a lot of variation in my wedge set up & so I couldn't get comfortable over the ball. Repetition with the same club & set up has really helped.

I did have one bad chip where I buried the leading edge into the rain soaked mud on an uphill lie, but I'm writing that one off to poor club selection. I shouldn't have used the 56*. I should have used my set GW.

I'm exited to get the Tour Grind soles in hand on the course. They're supposed to be designed for a shallow AoA & that fits my chipping game to a T.

I'm excited to get these in the bag and see what they can do. I love everything I'm reading about them.

I modified my original thoughts and ordered them in black, 52*, 56* and 60*. Got a tour grind on the 60 and traditional on everything else. I was going to get the tour frosted, which look fantastic, but this weekend I had some issues with my current Nike wedges being hard to aim due to glare and though maybe black would help in that area.

Sounds awesome. I have the 54 C grind coming with the iron purchase. I can't wait to try it out.

In the past my 54 has been my go to club for all shots around the green.

SaA

I modified my original thoughts and ordered them in black, 52*, 56* and 60*. Got a tour grind on the 60 and traditional on everything else. I was going to get the tour frosted, which look fantastic, but this weekend I had some issues with my current Nike wedges being hard to aim due to glare and though maybe black would help in that area.

nice. you will enjoy these wedges, they perform well in different lies and feel good on contact.

I told you bro, stealth clubs are going to be fantastic

I will own a 54 and 58 of these in Satin by year's end (estimated further lifespan of my Copper wedges).

I'm excited to get these wedges in my legacy bag. The 58 came in tour grind. It will be absolutely fascinating to see what shots I can pull off with this wedge. Nothing gets me going more than hitting a difficult short game shot with precision and finesse.

~Rock

I have the 52, 56 & 60 on their way. Can't wait!

My 60* TC just got handed down to my son. I'm gaming the Mack Daddy PM Grind now and although not a big difference I think it's a little better off of tight lies around the green.

My 50* arrived yesterday. It looks great and it arrived with a nice letter from the Wilson custom works department.

de92a773f93c00f3df280ebfbbdf5afa.jpg

My 50* arrived yesterday. It looks great and it arrived with a nice letter from the Wilson custom works department.

Great looking wedge! Really like the color

Just got my 50* with the traditional sole yesterday. Went with the traditional with a lower bounce on the 50* to have something easier to hit off the fairway inside my PW range. Should have it out on the course this weekend.

Just got my 50* with the traditional sole yesterday. Went with the traditional with a lower bounce on the 50* to have something easier to hit off the fairway inside my PW range. Should have it out on the course this weekend.

I still haven't had a chance to hit mine yet. I'm hoping to get out to the range or course at some point over the next few weeks. I'm thinking it will fit nicely between my PW and a 54*.

Keep us posted on your thoughts.

I still haven't had a chance to hit mine yet. I'm hoping to get out to the range or course at some point over the next few weeks. I'm thinking it will fit nicely between my PW and a 54*.

Keep us posted on your thoughts.
Gee I wonder why you haven't been out to hit it yet

I really like the 56 that I have.

Wilson Staff FG Tour TC Wedges Review

First time out with my new wedges. I got a 50 and a 56 (bent to 55) with the tour grind. First thing I noticed was they are heavier than my old Taylormade ATVs. They are also longer in shaft length by 3/4 of an inch (I got then 1/2 long). After a few warm up swings I started by hitting some 25 yard chips with the 55. Nice, smooth feel, again, very different than my ATVs. I had no problem getting dialed in at the range. I moved to a 60 yard target and found a 3/4 ish swing got me on the pin. No problem flighting the ball up or down by moving it up and back in my stance. I then took the 50 and hit shots to 100 yards. Immediately it was clear that this wedge is longer than my ATVs by about 10 yards. Easily dialed in on the 100 yrd flag by choking down a bit. I'm interested to see the spin these will produce with real balls.
I'm really impressed by these wedges and the tour grind will open up lots of options around the green. I'm already pondering adding a 58 or a 60 for the sand.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434718964.211869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gee I wonder why you haven't been out to hit it yet

I really like the 56 that I have.

One day I will play golf again. I'm just not sure when that will be:act-up:

First time out with my new wedges. I got a 50 and a 56 (bent to 55) with the tour grind. First thing I noticed was they are heavier than my old Taylormade ATVs. They are also longer in shaft length by 3/4 of an inch (I got then 1/2 long). After a few warm up swings I started by hitting some 25 yard chips with the 55. Nice, smooth feel, again, very different than my ATVs. I had no problem getting dialed in at the range. I moved to a 60 yard target and found a 3/4 ish swing got me on the pin. No problem flighting the ball up or down by moving it up and back in my stance. I then took the 50 and hit shots to 100 yards. Immediately it was clear that this wedge is longer than my ATVs by about 10 yards. Easily dialed in on the 100 yrd flag by choking down a bit. I'm interested to see the spin these will produce with real balls.
I'm really impressed by these wedges and the tour grind will open up lots of options around the green. I'm already pondering adding a 58 or a 60 for the sand.

View attachment 20468

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The custom work looks great on those. Glad you like them. Did you go with the stock shaft? I ended up going with the C-Taper and plus half an inch as well because it was a minimal upcharge when I ordered it from TGW.

Haha I hear ya man wife and I had twins this past December.

I won't get the thread too far off-topic, but I couldn't imagine the work of having twins. lol

Last edited:
The custom work looks great on those. Glad you like them. Did you go with the stock shaft? I ended up going with the C-Taper and plus half an inch as well because it was a minimal upcharge when I ordered it from TGW

Stock shafts yes, it is interesting that different companies have different "stock" lengths. My Ping irons are 1/2 long and the Wilsons are longer than my Ping PW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back