Coming over the top

Brucem609

Rum Afficianado
Reaction score
Handicap
HELP
I am still coming over the top. I have 2 swing plane trainers, a full circle, and one you place on the ground.
I still f ok time to tiny, start the downswing with m arms by casting the club,
what can I do to stop this!

The golf swing should start with the lower body (the down swing). The hips begin to clear and the club naturally drops into the 'slot'. Once this happens it just a matter of swinging through to your finish. The key word being swing. If you're ott then you are try to hit the ball. If you swing the club you'll be more inclined not to be ott.

The golf swing should start with the lower body (the down swing). The hips begin to clear and the club naturally drops into the 'slot'. Once this happens it just a matter of swinging through to your finish. The key word being swing. If you're ott then you are try to hit the ball. If you swing the club you'll be more inclined not to be ott.

Why do I smother it sometimes (pull hook- shows up with the driver big) when I feel like I'm trying to correct this? Is my weight transfer to early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do I smother it sometimes (pull hook- shows up with the driver big) when I feel like I'm trying to correct this? Is my weight transfer to early?

It's late. Pull hook come from the rotation of the hips stopping.

If you are a hitter and not a swinger do you still want to start with the hip clear?

If you are a hitter and not a swinger do you still want to start with the hip clear?

There is no hard fast rule that says you have to use the lower half. It's highly recommended but not the law.

I would ask why you feel the need to hit at the ball instead of swinging thru?

There is no hard fast rule that says you have to use the lower half. It's highly recommended but not the law.

I would ask why you feel the need to hit at the ball instead of swinging thru?

I experiment with different swing styles at the range.

I experiment with different swing styles at the range.

How many swings are you trying to take to the course?

Just one.

Try this.

Put and object like an alignment stick to your right hand side. Set up left, and swing towards the alignment stick. Now you're swinging inside-out. That's your fix.

Try this.

Put and object like an alignment stick to your right hand side. Set up left, and swing towards the alignment stick. Now you're swinging inside-out. That's your fix.
Call me silly, but I don't understand this. Where do you put the stick?

This is of course correct, but doesn't always result in the intended result. I've seen plenty of players who say they are focusing on this, but still end up coming over the top. Maybe not as much, but they still do it. Of course, they aren't making the lower body moves properly, but they think they are or are trying, so then what?

Here are some swing thoughts that have helped others fighting the over the top move.

o Focus on skipping the stone motion with the trail arm. This often helps get the proper weight transfer and hip turn started while promoting the trail shoulder to move down and under, instead of out and over.

o Squash the bug with your lead leg and rotate the trail shoulder under. Again another simple swing thought that some find helpful in getting the right sequence and motion.

This is of course correct, but doesn't always result in the intended result. I've seen plenty of players who say they are focusing on this, but still end up coming over the top. Maybe not as much, but they still do it. Of course, they aren't making the lower body moves properly, but they think they are or are trying, so then what?

Here are some swing thoughts that have helped others fighting the over the top move.

o Focus on skipping the stone motion with the trail arm. This often helps get the proper weight transfer and hip turn started while promoting the trail shoulder to move down and under, instead of out and over.

o Squash the bug with your lead leg and rotate the trail shoulder under. Again another simple swing thought that some find helpful in getting the right sequence and motion.

I find that folks that come OTT have a hard time getting the lower body to work properly. And if they could just engage the lower body they'd find the golf swing to be a lot easier. I like the skipping the stone thought but they still need a proper understanding of the lower body and how it relates to the upper body.

One thing I was doing in lessons was the pause at the top drill. This was to help break me of the hit impulse as well as to get me to start the swing from the ground up instead of going at the ball with my hands.

It took a while to engrain, but this season I've been hitting draws consistently with so much more distance through the bag.

One thing I was doing in lessons was the pause at the top drill. This was to help break me of the hit impulse as well as to get me to start the swing from the ground up instead of going at the ball with my hands.

It took a while to engrain, but this season I've been hitting draws consistently with so much more distance through the bag.

This and just starting the downswing slowly and not snatching it from the top, both have really helped if I remember to do them. I need lots of reps til there is no "remembering".

I find that folks that come OTT have a hard time getting the lower body to work properly. And if they could just engage the lower body they'd find the golf swing to be a lot easier. I like the skipping the stone thought but they still need a proper understanding of the lower body and how it relates to the upper body.

The right knee as the trigger that is in another one of your threads can help some with the OTT issue?

If I don't keep my downswing in check it becomes very easy for me to come OTT. The way I fix that is to tuck my right elbow into my right side as close as I can.

Go buy a $400 Driver, set one of those plastic or foam practice balls about an inch from one the outside walls of your house. Swing away and I'll guarantee you won't come over the top. Especially if the exterior wall is brick.

I in no way was taking issue with your description of what needs to happen or its importance. Just offering some swing thoughts others have found helpful to get them moving in the way you described.

I in no way was taking issue with your description of what needs to happen or its importance. Just offering some swing thoughts others have found helpful to get them moving in the way you described.

I didn't say you did, I was continuing the conversation.

OTT from the inside = "Good"

OTT from the outside = "Bad"

Proper Way To Swing A Golf Club With Mike Malaska:

http://youtu.be/3jF6W5xfPi4

Back