2015 US Open Contest & Official Thread - Amazing Cobra PUMA Prizes

What's the O/U on Bubba doing something stupid today?

Dammit JB, I wanted to come in with a clean slate today and give CB another chance then I see this to start my morning :alien:

I can guarantee you they are rolling them better for today. Not sure if we see anything as bad as we saw yesterday.

As much as I hate the crowd yelling utter nonsense just for some TV time the guy who yelled "What are you doing!??!?!" at Tiger/Rickie/Oosty had me in stitches haha.

I can guarantee you they are rolling them better for today. Not sure if we see anything as bad as we saw yesterday.
I think rolling them is gonna make them better for the morning guys putting but your still gonna run into the problem in the afternoon when the poa starts growing in again. I'm afraid the afternoon guys are gonna see the same thing the guys yesterday afternoon saw, and kinda rightfully so.

As much as I hate the crowd yelling utter nonsense just for some TV time the guy who yelled "What are you doing!??!?!" at Tiger/Rickie/Oosty had me in stitches haha.

Golf kinda needs these crowds at times. Why I love when they had the open in New York. The more vocal the more I enjoy it at times

heck when I play charity scrambles/tourneys I'm a loud mouth. And usually my groups and partners all the same. That is golf to me

Here's the deal with the course. I can play the course for $85 a round. I don't have the game to play that course.

1) March and April are usually a little warmer than they were this year. They were too cool to allow the fescue to grow well. Thus the fairways and greens don't have the texture they should. The greens are supposed to be fine fescue. We had rain and cool weather. Soil temperatures were too cool.

2) Then May hit. We had only two weeks where the fescue had ideal temperatures.

3) Then it got hot.... and dry.... except for one day a week when it rained. Then it would get hot and dry again. It was mid to upper 80s the last two weeks of May and dry. Record temperatures. Fescue does not do well when soil temperatures get over 75 F, but when it's nearly 90 F outside and baking you have problems. The fescue on the greens dies and poa annua starts to infest.

4) Then it got cool again. Temps in the low 60s for about a week.

5) Then it got very warm again with temps in the low 80s.

We're supposed to have temperatures in the upper 60s to low 70s this time of year. 80s are supposed to hit for a couple of weeks in August. Washington is in the middle of a drought. This is why that golf course looks like it does. They were unofficially worried about it since April.

You can see the poa annua in the greens because of the blotchy patches. Fescue doesn't grow like that. This is also why the greens are so unpredictable in the afternoon. Poa annua has no grain. It grows in clumps. The morning groups always will have an advantage on the greens right after they're mowed.

Plus with the heat we had, the ground is hard pan. We also use low bounce sand wedges. I carry an 8 and 10 bounce because our sand is heavy cement-like and not fluffy like in California.

This is a very tough course.

Solid insight from a local. One wonders why this wasn't talked about more leading up to the tournament?

Solid insight from a local. One wonders why this wasn't talked about more leading up to the tournament?

No easy or gentle way to say to viewers the weather didn't let the course grow and shape like we want, and we can't do anything about it so players are gonna get some pretty rough breaks.

Fowler putting it into the bunker pretty much summed it up.

Or wonder why the USGA doesn't have some kind of backup plan when the conditions are garbage for whatever reason.

I just checked on my home course's website for more info and I read that our greens and fairways are Poa annua. dont get me wrong, the course is far from being PGA event calibre, there are some rough taches in teh fairways, but it has the best greens of all the public golf courses in the area. it rolls very true and relatively fast.

I keep reeding that the Poa annua is the problem, is it because its poa, or because it doen't mix well with the fine fescue?

Golf kinda needs these crowds at times. Why I love when they had the open in New York. The more vocal the more I enjoy it at times

heck when I play charity scrambles/tourneys I'm a loud mouth. And usually my groups and partners all the same. That is golf to me
Just no

Gotta be Spieth's.

The featured group coverage starts at 8:15 PT. Spieth's group goes off at 8:17 and Tiger goes at 8:28. You may be right on this. I certainly hope so.

Or wonder why the USGA doesn't have some kind of backup plan when the conditions are garbage for whatever reason.

Ah, but they did. It was the old "Suck it up, Buttercup" plan. With a Plan C of "Build a bridge and get over it". The players never had a chance.

I just checked on my home course's website for more info and I read that our greens and fairways are Poa annua. dont get me wrong, the course is far from being PGA event calibre, there are some rough taches in teh fairways, but it has the best greens of all the public golf courses in the area. it rolls very true and relatively fast.

I keep reeding that the Poa annua is the problem, is it because its poa, or because it doen't mix well with the fine fescue?

It's the mix of the Poa and and Fescue, and I think some Bent as well, that is causing the problem.

So...let me get this straight. The greens are nice in the morning and crap in the afternoon. Good thing the leaders tee off last Sunday?

ugh

Just caught up on the thread from yesterday...pure gold.

Just a note I heard on golf channel, Lowest scoring first round since 03 OFCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, but they did. It was the old "Suck it up, Buttercup" plan.

But what else is there to do in what sounds like a 2 month window? Can't move to another course. Can't replant the greens. Me thinks the USGA had better agromonist than us three look at the situation. The seeding of Bent was their best chance to help fll in gaps, but the bent didn't take well from what I've read.

It's the mix of the Poa and and Fescue, and I think some Bent as well, that is causing the problem.

maybe this is not the right thread to ask, but with all the talk about the types of grass, it had me wondering about the poa that my course has, is it commonly used? is t any good? how is it different from bermuda or bent.

we keep earing about Bermuda vs Bent comparisons, but never anything about fine fescue, or boa.

Poa Annua always gets bumpy in the afternoon, this is nothing new.

Poa is considered a weed where I live but it is commonly used on the west coast for greens. Pebble Beach, Torrey Pines, Balboa Park.

No way around it, poa is bad on a green (at least local to me). It's about the worst things that can happen to greens around here because as it was eluded to earlier there is no grain and it's just clumpy.

Weekend afternoon will be very interesting.

Anyone else think Speith is going to be the man to beat today? At -2 in afternoon yesterday and playing this morning, I think he may have an advantage.

Anyone else think Speith is going to be the man to beat today? At -2 in afternoon yesterday and playing this morning, I think he may have an advantage.

I'm still going with DJ. He looked in control for the entire round yesterday. If Speith is there after round two, I'm taking him going into the weekend.

The way he's been playing this year...always has a shot to go stupid low.

Back