2015 US Open Contest & Official Thread - Amazing Cobra PUMA Prizes

No way around it, poa is bad on a green (at least local to me). It's about the worst things that can happen to greens around here because as it was eluded to earlier there is no grain and it's just clumpy.

Weekend afternoon will be very interesting.
I don't think no grain is a problem (bent doesn't exhibit a grain at typical lengths), but yeah it's bumpy.

I'm really hoping these green issues don't screw the Pacific Northwest's pooch as far as having the US Open up here again. I'm fine if they don't come back to Chambers (and if they don't fix the Plinko then I might say is deserved), but it would be a shame if the whole area got the snub going forward. Plenty of great courses in the area with glass-smooth greens.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Poa is considered a weed where I live but it is commonly used on the west coast for greens. Pebble Beach, Torrey Pines, Balboa Park.

Also doesn't something have to do with the regional climate and or sea salt coming off the ocean where these courses are located that makes it easier on poa and would destroy other greens?

Poa is on the old greens, but the new greens like 7 and 13 are total fescue and are superior. Green speeds are definitely not consistent from putting green to 18 and I'm in the camp they don't necessarily need to be. As has been said, these guys are pros and are capable of figuring it out. Round 1 was the lowest scoring since Olympia so it's clearly not affecting scoring. Just like many set ups, players will complain. Whether it's Phil whining about Atlanta Athletic being too long and hard or Poults complaining of windy conditions, just go out and fn play. To me, the set up has been pretty cool, especially on that driveable par 4, and the Fourth has yielded some terrific plays ala Dusty.

I'm still going with DJ. He looked in control for the entire round yesterday. If Speith is there after round two, I'm taking him going into the weekend.

I agree with the DJ comment, just seeing how bad greens seemed to be in the afternoon compared to the morning, I think those guys may struggle today. We'll see. Can't wait to watch today.

They were saying the cut could go to +5 or +6 depending on the conditions. Its crazy to think guys at +10 could potentially still make the cut haha.

I just want Fox to tell me or display on the screen what the players current position is, what hole they are playing and what shot they're playing. If they can do that then they win me over with the broadcast, otherwise I was a little lost trying to figure out position, hole and what shot they were hitting
I agree. From the little bit I got to watch I actually enjoyed the broadcast a good amount, except for what you mention... Which doesn't makes sense considering it seems like the most obvious little bit of info the viewers would want to see.

Kinda sucks that the US open talk is all about the grass at this place...and not the newly legal in WA state kind :alien: It's like bad officiating in other sports. Just takes away from what really should be the focus.

I think we see Spieth with a 1 stroke lead after today.....DJ can't go 5 under this afternoon I don't think.

So did anyone actually buy an R15 or Aeroburner from PGA SS for the chance to get it free if DJ wins?

I cannot wait to watch Tiger and Fowler today. Really interested to see what comes out of their rounds.

I cannot wait to watch Tiger and Fowler today. Really interested to see what comes out of their rounds.
Their group was +27 yesterday with 2 birdies between the 3. That's just crazy! Very curious as well to see how it goes

Their group was +27 yesterday with 2 birdies between the 3. That's just crazy! Very curious as well to see how it goes

it was so bad I couldn't look away.

Me too actually. I think Tiger can still shoot low (he is usually good for 1-2 rounds a weekend) and hang around this weekend.

Also doesn't something have to do with the regional climate and or sea salt coming off the ocean where these courses are located that makes it easier on poa and would destroy other greens?

Maybe for some. Though Olympic Club changed their Poa greens to Bent greens prior to the 2012 US Open that Webb Simpson won. That course is not directly on the ocean like Pebble and Torrey though.

I honestly would love to see that whole group go low today and have a shot at making the cut. I just hope its not as painful as yesterday, I don't think it will be.

Kinda sucks that the US open talk is all about the grass at this place...and not the newly legal in WA state kind :alien: It's like bad officiating in other sports. Just takes away from what really should be the focus.

Maybe we've found the problem. The grounds crew at Chambers might have been partaking of the new grass during the spring! :alien:

The US Open got exactly what they wanted....people talking about the course instead of the players. They do this every year. Don't know why people are so surprised about this. It happens almost every Open week. The rough is too high, the greens aren't holding, the fringe is too short, the holes are too long, the course conditions are too dry, etc, etc, etc. I know I'm in the minority here but I love this and have come to expect it each year from the USGA. Right or wrong it happens every year.

I find it really interesting that after round 1, 128 guys are within 10 of the lead...very tight spread of scores for most of the field.

Judging by the time of the featured group starts, it looks like it will be speith, rose, and day. I didn't want to spend my morning watching Tiger, so this works well for me.

I find it really interesting that after round 1, 128 guys are within 10 of the lead...very tight spread of scores for most of the field.

And 25 guys are under par after round 1! Interested to see if the USGA makes changes to nip that in the bud or will they wait till the weekend?

Our National Championship.

The US Open got exactly what they wanted....people talking about the course instead of the players. They do this every year. Don't know why people are so surprised about this. It happens almost every Open week. The rough is too high, the greens aren't holding, the fringe is too short, the holes are too long, the course conditions are too dry, etc, etc, etc. I know I'm in the minority here but I love this and have come to expect it each year from the USGA. Right or wrong it happens every year.

I love it too. To me, it's much better than, oh look, they're at Winged Foot, Pebble, Congressional, etc. with the same set up they played 5 years ago when it was here the last time. The USGA no doubt makes some bold moves, but I've enjoyed the heck out of what they've been doing. I can't wait for Erin Hills in a few years.

Yeah Ernie says something like that every time he sucks. Remember when he yelled at the greenskeepers at Wentworth to, "water the fn greens"?

Ball striking aside, they had good looks to save par and not make a bogey, but the greens took over. Like you I want to see them on better greens and see what shakes out

Those things are all part of a US Open though. Nobody critcizes the course for being in horrible condition. There are dozens of guys saying that these are the worst greens they have ever putt on behind the scenes and quite a few are making it public. See the post below this quote.

My take is they will fix them for the rest of the week, because yesterday was an embarassment to a great golf course.

Back