The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes perfect sense. When I try too much lean...smother hooks and chunks abound.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Blocks for me, but mainly just overall inconsistency of contact.
By taking the lean off I was peppering the flag at Morgan's range 205 yards away.

Yes please!

I realized today, that the downfall of my game is consistency. I can drive, I can hit long irons, I can hit short irons, and I have decent short game & putting.

What I lack is the ability for my game to consistently transfer from range/practice to play on course. How do you develop that? Is it a thing where you just have it or you don't? I feel like today my round blew up due to 3 bad shots. 3 bad shots ended up putting me in enough trouble where my scores just went haywire.

I realized today, that the downfall of my game is consistency. I can drive, I can hit long irons, I can hit short irons, and I have decent short game & putting.

What I lack is the ability for my game to consistently transfer from range/practice to play on course. How do you develop that? Is it a thing where you just have it or you don't? I feel like today my round blew up due to 3 bad shots. 3 bad shots ended up putting me in enough trouble where my scores just went haywire.
Welcome to the problem we all have haha. I still haven't fully figured this one out...

Welcome to the problem we all have haha. I still haven't fully figured this one out...

When you two figure it out, let me in on the secret. This is me for sure. Just seems about 3 to 4 holes per round I forget how to play golf.

Welcome to golf.
If we were all consistent, then we would all be on tour, or at least trying to get on tour.

I was on my way to the best round in years today, but then started trying to guard against the high score. 3rd shot from 80 yards out on a 500 yd par 5, and I blade my wedge (which I hadn't done yet in the round), I miss long, into the brush, and then it takes 4 shots to get back onto the green.

Is it the wedge that put me in trouble? Short answer yes. Long answer, it was the reaction to the wedge that caused the screw up.

Consistency would hopefully eliminate the bladed wedge, thus eliminating the rest of the problems.

I seem to be struggling right now. When at the range I seem to hit the ball fine. But when I get to the course it's like I forget how to swing an iron. When on the range I don't have an issue. I know it's all in my head and I'm doing something different. It's starting to get on my nerves. Golf is frustrating.

I really was struggling today on the range, I hit a few good shots but nothing consistent or even where I was weeks ago. Not toughing a club is weeks really hurt my game,my short game shined the whole time which I am pleased about. Just trying to figure out why I was hitting much horriable shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up and down drill tonight before the storms rolled in. Simple idea, 10 balls, randomly tossed around green for 15-35 yards. Hole out and its a birdie. Up and down is a par, and so on. Its a heck of a drill. You focus on the pitches, because you dont want to be putting from 12 feet. The putts have pressure on them to.

I was doing well. 2 rounds of 10 balls in. Then the storm got too close for comfort and had to get out of there.

~Rock

I hit the range over lunch. It was a productive session. Seeing some improvement with solid contact, and that's what I wanted to see. So now that we are 16 days away from the KC Invitational, it's a good feeling to have again. I need to just put in extra swings. My goal is to get at LEAST 10 full days of swings/work in before the event at minimum.
My boss has an indoor set up at his shop. It's just a net and some really good artificial turf, but it's a great set up and it's inside out of the sun, plus it's free for me to use. I'm getting the extra key tonight, so this is going to work out well I think.

Got to the range over lunch too. Trying to figure out these duck/snap hooks which are killing me lately. Started off well, was hitting some nice irons from the 52 to the 8 iron, after that the duck hooks returned with the longer clubs and a genuine feeling of being uncomfortable when standing over the ball. I need to figure this out, it's getting extremely frustrating.

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

Went to the range today and hit 7i-driver great. 8i-pw was very iffy for me today. I then went and practiced chipping for a while. When all was done I went inside and scheduled my next short game lesson for Thursday. I'm not worried about the 8i-pw as much as I am the chipping. I will get things sorted out though.

Don't you hate watching a parent, with no business instructing golf, completely ruin what could be a lifelong passion? This dude is just tough to listen to. At least his daughter seems to know he's full of it.

Other than that, a beautiful range day. Feel like things are coming together!

Hit the range tonight before getting out for 9. It has been over a week and a half since I touched the clubs so I expected some rust - and I was right. Tempo was off the whole time on the range.

Got on the course and it changed dramatically.

One thing I was happy about - I think I finally got over my mental roadblock with spikeless shoes. Was really transferring my weight on to my front foot and no slipping.

Hit a 50 ball bucket tonight before heading to the short game area for an hour. All 50 balls were well struck with no big misses off any club while I was mentally playing my way around True Blue. Driver, 5 wood, and 4 hybo continue to be the stars for me right now.

Short game practice continues to be a mystery to me. Put me on a practice green hitting wedges from 25/50/75 and I do really really well but I just don't see that success transfer to the course. I think I need to change my practice habits so that I never hit 2 wedges in a row because there's no way hitting 10 wedges in a row at a flag is actually helpful practice, even if 10/10 are inside 10-20 feet. Even mixing up the yardages can't really be a true gauge of one's wedge game, can it?

Short game practice continues to be a mystery to me. Put me on a practice green hitting wedges from 25/50/75 and I do really really well but I just don't see that success transfer to the course. I think I need to change my practice habits so that I never hit 2 wedges in a row because there's no way hitting 10 wedges in a row at a flag is actually helpful practice, even if 10/10 are inside 10-20 feet. Even mixing up the yardages can't really be a true gauge of one's wedge game, can it?
I think it helps. My favorite range has 5 targets at different distances. I often work my way around them all, left to right and right to left...40, 52, 77, 57, 47....it may not be perfect but it is solid work. My recipe for transferring it from range to course is the "see it, feel it, hit it" approach. The practice swings in the "feel it" phase provide just enough short term memory muscle to make it work.

Choked down on my club a bit (I always hold it right at the very top) and was a lot more strict/consistent with taking my grip properly.

Choking down 1-1.5" feels really odd. Feels as though I will have no power, but it doesn't seem to affect distance at all, and accuracy appears more consistent.

My grip...sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker....so when the ball flight isn't what I'd expect I'm not sure if its my swing or grip. Seems like a little thing, but it's big enough to have a significant affect on where my shot ends up.

Is it possible to have a range session and have good contact all the way through the bag? Because I haven't yet :banghead:

Started with wedges going to different targets and trying to get the ball there different ways, low and rolling and high and soft. I was really happy with how things were going, I feel like I'm finally getting to a point where I can almost visualize a shot and know how to set up, how far back to take the backswing, etc. But I couldn't take it to my irons at first. Everything was weak and wipey. After about 15 balls I finally started hitting decent shots, it's frustrating to not be able to go from one aspect of my game to another on the range, because the same thing happens on the course.

Driver was decent to end up. Just want some consistency through the bag.

Is it possible to have a range session and have good contact all the way through the bag? Because I haven't yet :banghead:

Started with wedges going to different targets and trying to get the ball there different ways, low and rolling and high and soft. I was really happy with how things were going, I feel like I'm finally getting to a point where I can almost visualize a shot and know how to set up, how far back to take the backswing, etc. But I couldn't take it to my irons at first. Everything was weak and wipey. After about 15 balls I finally started hitting decent shots, it's frustrating to not be able to go from one aspect of my game to another on the range, because the same thing happens on the course.

If you're not skulling it you ain't trying. Just kidding, I don't know. I look at it like I must really be pushing myself to improve and doing the hard things I'm not comfortable with when I struggle at the range. That is what I tell myself anyway.

I was inspired by that ultimate practice thread, so i went to the practice green today and was rolling putts like a madman. I set up a clock drill at 3 feet and made my way around until I dropped 25 in a row. Then I went around from 7 paces and tried to get 25 inside of the 3 foot circle. I ended up 22/25 as my best before I had to leave. I liked this practoce, and was feeling some of the pressure as I was getting close to 25 three footers in a row.

Lesson with my instructor tonight. First one in a couple months. Went in for a swing tune up after swing felt ok but results were not where I expected them over the last month or so. Takeaway was off by a lot a do way to inside and long backswing. Got some drills to work on both of those and squeezed in a short session in the bunker.

After my round I had the pleasure of watching our city champion practice. I never noticed how far he loops the club to the inside on the downswing. He showed me how he does it (it isn't easy at all) and I started hitting some low hard draws. Told me to practice in the back yard with no ball and place an alignment stick at a 45 degree angle 4 feet to the right of you on the target line. Really felt a forced inside path or you hit the stick feel. Something I can try without a ball to get a feel for it. Kinda like the a swing stuff everyone is talking about now, but something he has been doing for years

Go sign up for a lesson package somewhere. Some good golf pros out there that can help you

Go sign up for a lesson package somewhere. Some good golf pros out there that can help you

I do get lessons, but thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a great time today with Maddog practicing. It was the most fun I've had with the game in a few weeks because of how badly I was struggling. I'm finally getting back to being comfortable over the ball and striking the ball well again. We started at the range for a good hour and a half and ended at the home courses putting green for another hour. He still owes me $6 cuz I whooped him in a little putting match play.

ea85480e508f4a812d4fd39d518bfa65.jpg

Working the gate drill on the putting green.

c8f2e92e9956574b3f7308ff51bfeedf.jpg

I'm back to striking the ball well again and it's such a relief. It's getting fun again to practice on the range.

This was the 5 iron which was probably 15 to 20 balls. I was carrying it 205 consistently.

5c3a09da4c265c57249a0ab0020067d5.jpg

And then I grabbed the Wilson Staff FG17 Tour Blade, took one swing and hit the flag at 150.

447b5be852225488ee12fb73822a6602.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back