Home security cameras

PiratePenguin

2024 Goat Cup Team Brennan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking at installing some security cameras at home but there are so many options and opinions. Need at least one non-wired camera for the back where I have no electrical or cat5/6 wire, so I'm leaning towards a wifi system like Blink. What does THP recommend/use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ring brand works pretty good.

Setup for my bro one doorbell one, an outdoor led security light one and a normal camera on his back door. It can notify his phone instantly when there is motion. Works pretty good. Also put in a remote chime for the doorbell one.

I would look into them. So simple to setup and configure settings.

Quality is really good too.

Foscam has lots of camera options as well. I have a couple of Foscam at my place that are pretty old but work just fine. And they were cheap. Just needed to plug them in and connect to my wifi... phone app is kinda weak but it works.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Wifi security cameras can have up to a 2 second delay. Hard wire will not have a delay. I use the wireless Arlo and like it. Easy setup. Good resolution. Phone app provide notifications.

Wifi security cameras can have up to a 2 second delay. Hard wire will not have a delay. I use the wireless Arlo and like it. Easy setup. Good resolution. Phone app provide notifications.

I have a pre-wire for the front patio, but nothing out back or sides, hence looking at the wireless. I have considered the Arlo and may go that route. Nothing is perfect in the end.

I have a pre-wire for the front patio, but nothing out back or sides, hence looking at the wireless. I have considered the Arlo and may go that route. Nothing is perfect in the end.

Most will be just fine. I would focus more on ease of use and features that will work for you...

For my purpose the Foscam cameras I got were super cheap and do what I need them to do.

For my bro the ring stuff works for his needs.

I think you really can't go wrong with any choice as long as it fits your requirements.

Nexia has been incredible for me. They have so many nice HD Options, wireless and all of that jazz.

I just ordered a Piper NV with 7 door/window switches. They now support IFTTT and ZWave so I can link other cameras, locks, switches, thermostats, garage door openers to it and control it with something like Alexa if I want. I will link the Piper to a Skybell HD camera for the front of the house and I plan on adding a second Piper and/or another outdoor camera to fully cover the entire house. If things work as expected I will also add some additional window sensors and things like dimmer switches and smart plugs to the system. I figure I could do an entire home automation system this way for about $2,500. I'm diving into this to determine if it's what we want for the retirement home we have under construction in Minnesota. When I met with the home security sub-contractor for our new house he was estimating $10-$15k for home automation that does everything I want.

Buddy of mine showed me the Costco one they sell for $200 a camera. Wireless and real time feed with recording to the cloud for up to a week with alerts when activated. We got ours hard wired about 5 years ago and these $200 cameras blow ours out of the water. Technology is amazing.

Looking at installing some security cameras at home but there are so many options and opinions. Need at least one non-wired camera for the back where I have no electrical or cat5/6 wire, so I'm leaning towards a wifi system like Blink. What does THP recommend/use?

If you're installing the cameras for security reasons than from what I know its best to have cameras that are hidden or that are disguised as other objects. Nanny cams as they're called. If you have visible cameras that can actually draw burglars to your house since they figure that if you've got cameras that you've got valuables. As for being caught on the cameras they don't care, they will just put on a mask or cover their faces somehow. So if you're going to have security cameras its best to have them hidden or otherwise out of sight. And obviously you don't want any of those fifteen dollar fake security cameras, they will do more harm than good.

If you're installing the cameras for security reasons than from what I know its best to have cameras that are hidden or that are disguised as other objects. Nanny cams as they're called. If you have visible cameras that can actually draw burglars to your house since they figure that if you've got cameras that you've got valuables. As for being caught on the cameras they don't care, they will just put on a mask or cover their faces somehow. So if you're going to have security cameras its best to have them hidden or otherwise out of sight. And obviously you don't want any of those fifteen dollar fake security cameras, they will do more harm than good.

Boy, I don't know about all that and I could be dead wrong but if I was a thief and camera's were visible all around a house that would be my sign to stay away from that house. Make a house look like they don't, get stuff stolen and get to watch it get stolen later anyways. The hope is those visible cameras deter a criminal away. Sort of like the house that has the dog barking out back or at the door. Criminal deterrent. But that's just the way I would think.

The ring security light cameras are pretty cool, because they look like a security light with motion sensor, only the motion sensor is a camera...

Anyone have feedback on the Blink XT cameras?

Anyone have feedback on the Blink XT cameras?

I have the Normal blink camera and have nothing but good things to say. I’ve had it for about a year now and haven’t had to change a battery.

The image quality is pretty good and the app interface is pretty easy to use.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I went the cheap route with ZOSI brand from Amazon, but I have been very happy with them. Quality seems to be good and the features are up there with the name brands. Here are a few screenshots from the app.
37e172a9276dd5039bdc060f9bc562a9.jpg
7394ee30b0ebe617e64341627686af6c.jpg

Been looking at Arlo 2 for a while. I'm just waiting on a price drop. I am going wireless all the way.

I bought Amcrest on Amazon and did the install myself. They are hardwired and the wire carries the electricity to run it and the video cable in one wire wrap. ran through the attic and down inside a wall interior of the house. hooked it up and bam, i have 8 cam system... took about 6 hours total.

Boy, I don't know about all that and I could be dead wrong but if I was a thief and camera's were visible all around a house that would be my sign to stay away from that house. Make a house look like they don't, get stuff stolen and get to watch it get stolen later anyways. The hope is those visible cameras deter a criminal away. Sort of like the house that has the dog barking out back or at the door. Criminal deterrent. But that's just the way I would think.

I agree. At our new build, we are putting up visible cameras and motion activated flood lights that are also tied to interior and external alarms. Burglars don't like to be lit up and have all the neighbors coming outside to see what the alarm is about. We had an attempted break-in 10 years ago where the burglar tripped the external alarm when he lifted the rear sliding glass door out of its track. If I would have had a motion activated light back there or along the sides of the home, I doubt he would have bothered with attempting the break-in.

Amazon buying Ring is gonna make them huge in this space, coupled with their acquisition of Blink. Tie it all in to Alexa and boom, all done.

I love my cameras. I have caught all sorts of interesting things. Human and non human. Here is one where the contractor at the house told me that they didn’t move my camera. I guess they didn’t realize that they really work!!! Here are a few screen shots from the video. Although I know they did it On purpose, I think the guy from the crew did it as a joke because we have always gotten along and they have been great to work with. So I didn’t really say anything other than asking if they moved my camera. Just one of the many reasons I love having them.
ca25dcabaa7fd832e26c372b238c97af.jpg
d051a2ec2642340132213af254283701.jpg
9bc1fe088d52d48464d23c65eae8ab3b.jpg

Home security cameras

Amazon buying Ring is gonna make them huge in this space, coupled with their acquisition of Blink. Tie it all in to Alexa and boom, all done.

I put in a Ring at our Minneapolis house last week and the entire process took 5 minutes. Very easy to use and great for keeping an eye on the driveway for deliveries. It was only $159 at Costco and it came with the remote chime that I put about 50 feet away in the hallway.I'll be adding their floodlight camera or two when I go back next month. Here’s a live view. I have a new package.:act-up:

617812fe8653fd596c306ad4b522385b.jpg

Been really pondering adding a Ring to our home. I have a buddy who bought one and loves it. We don't have a doorbell at our home, so it would come in handy for that as well.

My wife and I want to do this but know zero about the options. We want cameras for front yard, back yard and basement and for the front door too.
I'd like wireless. I see ZOSI a lot when searched. Have not heard of RING.

Been really pondering adding a Ring to our home. I have a buddy who bought one and loves it. We don't have a doorbell at our home, so it would come in handy for that as well.

Ring is intriguing now since Amazon just bought them. We have Arlo all over the house. Front, garage, pool area, kitchen, living room and family room. I hate to repurchase to get Ring, but know that with Alexa support, the future is going to be pretty awesome with their delivery options.

I have a RING pro doorbell and plan on getting at least one more RING camera for the backyard. Inside I've got two Canary cameras, as I bought into them rather early. They work well enough, but outside of having a different provider in case one goes down, having just one is probably a better plan. If I could do it again, I would have gone with Nest for indoors, but the RING stuff is super simple to set up and outside of the cameras cost is pretty affordable.

I want something for quite a few windows, and cameras that activate (notify me immediately via my smartphone) of movement.

I set the monthly-fee Floyd security system off I have on the home I am about to buy, and the police department didn't even come by the house until a half hour later, and they just drove by - didn't even get out of their squad car or shine a light on the house.

It was at that point I realized the monthly-fee Floyd system is worthless and a waste. The hell with that. I want to know immediately if/when someone is in the yard, or tampering with a window.

It's a sketchy neighborhood and the house has been robbed twice.

Back