Keeping Clubs Versus Selling or Trading In

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
Is there a point where a club becomes worth more to you than you'll get for selling it or trading it in?

Also, have you ever had "I got rid of club" remorse?

I'm thinking about my Callaway Xhot 3 wood. I've moved on to a Ping G 3 wood which I haven't used much. Well, I've played on course once since wrist surgery in January, so it's yet to be seen if I will like as much as the Xhot. I'd like to trade in some stuff or sell and put the money toward a new hybrid. But, if trade in for the Xhot is $20, I might as well keep it as a trusty backup. If it's $40, letting it go begins to make a more significant impact on the buy a new hybrid funds.

I know different people have different financial circumstance, but what are your thoughts on trading in or selling old clubs and do you ever miss one that you got rid of?

I think the only clubs I really miss are some Bridgestone West Coast wedges in liquid copper. I loved those things.

I tend to hold onto stuff too long past it's value.

I have had those feeling a couple times, actually in one case I bought the same club again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remorse/miss clubs - absolutely. Actually just got a putter back that was one of the biggest regrets I've had, so that helps haha.

But yea, clubs can definitely get to a point where they mean more as clubs than the dollar value they could fetch.

Sometimes the club(s) mean more sentimentally than the value they are worth. I still have every one of my Grandaddy clubs and actually have all but the driver in play currently. I've thought about about trading in the driver, but is that $90 worth it? I think someday I will look back and be glad I still have them all.

If I can't get at least trade-in value on a sale I'll keep it or give it away. Sometimes the trade-in amount is a joke too.

Sometimes the club(s) mean more sentimentally than the value they are worth. I still have every one of my Grandaddy clubs and actually have all but the driver in play currently. I've thought about about trading in the driver, but is that $90 worth it? I think someday I will look back and be glad I still have them all.

That's how I am with my event equipment. Some of it I've given to family members to play, and it's still in their bags, because I want those clubs to be played by someone. But I couldn't just trade it in.

i wish i still had my callaway v series heaven wood. That club was a do everything club and the one I miss not having to throw in the bag every so often. but normally i sell to offset some of the cost of my club purchases.

Only clubs I hang onto are my safety net clubs like my Stage 2 3W and my Mashie F5, which both make it back into the bag when I'm in the mood or have an extra spot open. Putters are a different story! :D

I usually move stuff pretty quick when it's something that just doesn't work for me or I've found a better option that I'm confident in. Helps me offset my club ho-ing ways. Only real sellers remorse I have thats lasted is my i20 irons.

Is there a point where a club becomes worth more to you than you'll get for selling it or trading it in?

Also, have you ever had "I got rid of club" remorse?

I'm thinking about my Callaway Xhot 3 wood. I've moved on to a Ping G 3 wood which I haven't used much. Well, I've played on course once since wrist surgery in January, so it's yet to be seen if I will like as much as the Xhot. I'd like to trade in some stuff or sell and put the money toward a new hybrid. But, if trade in for the Xhot is $20, I might as well keep it as a trusty backup. If it's $40, letting it go begins to make a more significant impact on the buy a new hybrid funds.

I know different people have different financial circumstance, but what are your thoughts on trading in or selling old clubs and do you ever miss one that you got rid of?

Yes, I just played my old Xhots the other day. The shop was going to give me like 7-8 bucks each or something like that. Sheez, I've got more in the grips than that. Anyway, yeah....right now I just keep em. Downside, I've got like 25 - 30 clubs sitting in my garage.

Upside - I built a cool little storage rack that tucks out of the way nicely.

I've had a few I've traded in and regretted, like the 910 D2. What a great driver that was. I wish I had held I to that one.

I've also had clubs make multiple appearances like the K15 and the Speedblades. The K15 I definitely don't need anymore, but boy would I like to have the height of those Speedblades again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to have the opposite effect. I hold onto clubs until they have virtually no trade in value, and then regret not selling them earlier. I mean, there's cash, and there's clubs with 4 years of dust on them in my basement. Which was more value?

~Rock

My #TheGrandaddy set will never be moved, everything else is subject to being sold if I see something I like. I'll only trade in if there is a trade in bonus offered.

The only clubs I keep are the ones I play. I don't like having extras around!

I also tend to keep clubs really because of the poor trade-in-value, unless there is a bonus. I recently cleaned out my golf locker and got a little over $550 so you can tell how many clubs that I've saved.

The only club I ever had remorse over selling was my old original 910D2 12 degree with the Speeder 7.1.

Otherwise when I get rid of a club it's because I'm just done with it, if there's no real value left I've donated to a local program or just brought them to a second hand store.

I typically sell everything once I stop using it. Have regretted selling a few things but don't dwell on it. Do have a few extra clubs sitting around that really have little to no resell value. Have given a few clubs that had little value to THPers that were typically looking for clubs for kids / beginners.

I typically trade most of my stuff for
Newer stuff. I keep some things I like.

I just traded in or sold my old bag of clubs plus a few others I had sitting around. Finished that about six weeks ago, Since then, I've had inquiries about my Mashie hybrids, my Tour Edge Bazooka irons, and a request for "an extra set of clubs" for someone in the company coming to town on business. For someone who is trying to shake the habit of keeping a lot of crud "just in case" this was not helpful.

I hold onto stuff way to long as well.

Hicksta would be the man to ask. :clap:

I keep all my clubs. I need to stop doing that. Jacqui gets so mad at me.

I usually keep an extra 3 wood, hybrid around. I also have a couple of extra wedges and putter. Other than that, I usually trade or sell my extras. I have built a complete backup bag multiple times and I always go into the basement and wonder why I did that.

I just bought 3 Wilson D300 hybrids for $149 each on eBay (retail $199 each). Really do not care for them but trade in is $48 each. None sold on eBay since early May. So I will just keep them and hope for the best.

Back