Making a switch from 3W to 2H?

jkewatt88

Reaction score
Handicap
30ish
Hey THPers,

I just got back from a range session and oh boy was I frustrated. I cannot for whatever reason hit my 3 Wood. Never really could since I bought it and today was just icing on the cake. Anyone ever swapped out their 3 wood for a 2 Hybrid with the same degree loft? I am thinking about looking into making this switch. I love my 3 hybrid and it is probably my 2nd favorite club in my bag (next to my 8 iron). Any suggestions about this? Thanks guys!

Keyz

Hey THPers,

I just got back from a range session and oh boy was I frustrated. I cannot for whatever reason hit my 3 Wood. Never really could since I bought it and today was just icing on the cake. Anyone ever swapped out their 3 wood for a 2 Hybrid with the same degree loft? I am thinking about looking into making this switch. I love my 3 hybrid and it is probably my 2nd favorite club in my bag (next to my 8 iron). Any suggestions about this? Thanks guys!

Keyz
I thought about this for awhile too, never hit a 2hy and I wonder how it would be. Im like you and love my 3hy

I did it once. Worst equipment related decision I've ever made.

I did it once. Worst equipment related decision I've ever made.

Really?? I mean I would go hit a few before I made the decision I just didn't know if it would go as far as my 3 wood "should" or not. Well that is good to know.... for the sake of my golf game I need to at least entertain the idea......

Evok,
I've never hit a 2H either but I would really like to just to see if it is easy to hit like a 3H. I still have a 4 & 5 iron in my bag that I REALLY wanna swap out for Hybrids but the 3 wood is my biggest concern right now.

Really?? I mean I would go hit a few before I made the decision I just didn't know if it would go as far as my 3 wood "should" or not. Well that is good to know.... for the sake of my golf game I need to at least entertain the idea......

Evok,
I've never hit a 2H either but I would really like to just to see if it is easy to hit like a 3H. I still have a 4 & 5 iron in my bag that I REALLY wanna swap out for Hybrids but the 3 wood is my biggest concern right now.
Yup. In general, hybrids have smaller heads with less forgiveness. from my experience, when things aren't working well, going to a smaller and harder to hit head is rarely the answer.

I don't know if it's ideal but I'm doing it. I got fed up with my inability to hit fairway woods, either off the deck or off the tee, and dropped mine for a 2h that is close, but slightly higher loft. I'm just more comfortable hitting hybrids. I can get my 2h to about 215 off the tee, and that works for me on short par 4s.

I'm also more comfortable with long approach shots now, plus I don't remember the last time I hit a green with a fairway wood. If I'm that far out I lay up anyway.

I dropped my 3 wood for a hybrid and have never looked back. I play the Callaway Razr X 2h at 18 degrees which is more like a 5 - wood. I absolutely love it!!!

Both my hybrids can have the loft changed up/down by 1 1/2 degrees. I pulled my 3 wood out last year and haven't looked back, I don't miss it. I hit my driver very well and rarely ever need to use a 3 wood off the tee. If I do need to, I use my hybrid at 14 1/2 degrees. I lose a few yards but nothing to be concerned about. Besides, the hybrid is so much more versatile and easy to hit.

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah my issue is actually knowing the 3 wood has a bigger head then a hybrid and I always chunk my shots. So with my hybrid knowing it is smaller, I have less stress worrying about chunking it and it is probably the club I hit best in my bag. I need to find some 2H and test them out. Problem is finding these bad boys to hit..... I may end up keeping the 3 wood in the bag but as of right now it is easily my worst club!

Both my hybrids can have the loft changed up/down by 1 1/2 degrees. I pulled my 3 wood out last year and haven't looked back, I don't miss it. I hit my driver very well and rarely ever need to use a 3 wood off the tee. If I do need to, I use my hybrid at 14 1/2 degrees. I lose a few yards but nothing to be concerned about. Besides, the hybrid is so much more versatile and easy to hit.

Getting a hybrid with a change up loft may be the way I need to go. My 3H is 18* and my 3 wood I am trying to replace is 15* so I am trying to stick in the 15* range..... I have never used my 3 wood off the Tee honestly. So I am not too worried about that.

I hit 3w well off the tee but don't often try it off the deck as I'm more comfortable with 3hy, that's really the only reason i haven't dropped 3w. It's a great tee club for me but I still wanna smack a 2 and just see how it is.

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah my issue is actually knowing the 3 wood has a bigger head then a hybrid and I always chunk my shots. So with my hybrid knowing it is smaller, I have less stress worrying about chunking it and it is probably the club I hit best in my bag. I need to find some 2H and test them

The thing with a hybrid is you can hit down on the ball like an iron. It's not a cure all for everybody but I sure love all three of mine! :in-love:

Yup. In general, hybrids have smaller heads with less forgiveness. from my experience, when things aren't working well, going to a smaller and harder to hit head is rarely the answer.

Less forgiveness is not necessarily true. I find the shorter shaft on my hyb's make it much easier for me to control off the fairway.

Less forgiveness is not necessarily true. I find the shorter shaft on my hyb's make it much easier for me to control off the fairway.
Shorter shaft is one thing. But most hybrid heads are smaller than woods. I'm not sure how a smaller hybrid head is more forgiving than a larger 3wood.

I haven't had a fw for at least 10 years. I have hybrids with 16 and 19 degrees of loft and for what ever reason I just hit them better and more consistently. You will lose some distance in all probability so I would try a few out and see if it's for you before just jumping in.

You know up until this week I never hit my 3 wood of the turf. I mainly used it as a mini driver when I didn't want to hit driver. However with my swing getting a little better I actually hit a solid three wood off the turf pretty good. That being said I did have a 2 hybrid (19 degree) in the bag but was more of a 5 wood replacement for me. I would say depending what you plan on doing with it, it may be the best option.

Hey THPers,

Keyz
Getting a hyb to match the loft and distance of your 3w will be hard, I've seen down to 16* but that's more 4w territory and the shorter shaft will mean less distance. That being said, I dropped fairways for 2-4 hybrids and love it. There is a gap between my driver and 2hy but I feel I have a ton more control and consistency primarily due to the shorter shaft. Worth at least a try imo.

Shorter shaft is one thing. But most hybrid heads are smaller than woods. I'm not sure how a smaller hybrid head is more forgiving than a larger 3wood.

To each his own, I think the op should head out and hit some different clubs and find just the right one. :)

as as far as larger being more forgiving, you may be right, I'm not sure. But I can say my hyb face definitely is "taller" than the callaway fw I gave up. So you may have a point.

Yeah I have just been doing some online searching and really... 2H's are hard to find. Even when I do find them they are only 16* loft.... when my 3H is already 18*, I don't think 2* is worth the price. My problem is I want to eventually get Hybrids for my 4, 5 and MAYBE even 6 iron someday but all these hybrids online seem to over lap with only a degree or 2 difference. I don't know if it is because my Burner 2.0s have "weird" lofts or if it is just the fact I will always face this issue with trying to replace clubs. The way it is looking I might only be having 13 clubs in the bag.......

Getting a hyb to match the loft and distance of your 3w will be hard, I've seen down to 16* but that's more 4w territory and the shorter shaft will mean less distance. That being said, I dropped fairways for 2-4 hybrids and love it. There is a gap between my driver and 2hy but I feel I have a ton more control and consistency primarily due to the shorter shaft. Worth at least a try imo.

This! 100%

Also the reason I found a hyb with adjustable lie to 14 1/2.

I'm a bit confused why would you need to take the 3w out (typically around 15*) for a 2H (typically around 18*).

I have that setup in my bag and love the gaps.

I had the 2 hybrid and a 3 wood 18/13 degrees. Now I have a 16 degree 1 hybrid that I absolutely crush and straight. The bomber club has been relegated to a 12.5 degrees 2 wood.

I'd say definitely try it. The distance won't be an issue as you will get better center strike than 3 wood. That's if you are comfortable hitting hybrids.

I'm a bit confused why would you need to take the 3w out (typically around 15*) for a 2H (typically around 18*).

I have that setup in my bag and love the gaps.

I want the 3 wood out because I just don't hit it good. Even off the tee.... if I can't hit Driver then I automatically go to my 3H off the tee because I hit it so much better than a 3W. My 3H is actually 18* so I am good there. Everything past that is set up good degrees wise. It is just this hiccup right now of trying to cover 14*-15* without using a wood. I like the adjustable degree hybrid as mentioned by Plinyyounger. Like you all mentioned... I might just have to go hit and see what happens....

I want the 3 wood out because I just don't hit it good. Even off the tee.... if I can't hit Driver then I automatically go to my 3H off the tee because I hit it so much better than a 3W. My 3H is actually 18* so I am good there. Everything past that is set up good degrees wise. It is just this hiccup right now of trying to cover 14*-15* without using a wood. I like the adjustable degree hybrid as mentioned by Plinyyounger. Like you all mentioned... I might just have to go hit and see what happens....

Maybe demo some 3 woods or mini drivers? What about a 16* and a 19* hybrid?

I say go with whatever works.... as long as it actually works!

Maybe demo some 3 woods or mini drivers? What about a 16* and a 19* hybrid?

I say go with whatever works.... as long as it actually works!

Exactly!! I will be testing out many clubs before I purchase. This set I am working with I have had for about 4 years now and I honestly just bought them without even hardly testing them. I just wanted nicer clubs instead of my complete box set I bought when I was first starting out. So from here on out I know the importance of getting clubs that suit YOU. Again this is why I love THP... the input is great! Thanks again!

Back