THP Official Keto Thread

UCChris

Hack of the worst kind...
Reaction score
Handicap
This is a place for all those interested in or currently living a keto lifestyle!

Can you explain what that is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Lots of stuff I didn't know about. I've got some of that Himalayan salt on the way, so that's good. 1.2064 doesn't sound much different than 1.004. I guess my question would be, how much salt is that per unit of water to reach that salinity? Sorry to be ambiguous, just not sure what units are used? Grams of salt per L of water?

1.0264 is 35 parts per thousand. My 1.004 should read 1.001...typing error there.

The difference between them is very large for our purposes

Eating very low carb intake, relying on the body to use fat as the primary energy source.

1.0264 is 35 parts per thousand. My 1.004 should read 1.001...typing error there.

The difference between them is very large for our purposes

Interesting. What is your go to keto snack? I do a dang good job with meals, but need to pack snacks better.

High fat, moderate protein and low carb.

In a nutshell your body will run on ketones or glucose. Ketones are produced when your body shuttles fat into the liver and breaks it down for energy. There are a myriad of benefits from fat loss to brain performance to anti inflammatory properties.

Pretty cool stuff when you get into it all

Interesting. What is your go to keto snack? I do a dang good job with meals, but need to pack snacks better.

I avoid snacking best I can but if I must snack then I go with almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts or hard boiled eggs. I even pre-cook bacon at times and have it around when needed. Hard boiled eggs and bacon can be a life saver when you really need a quick snack or mentally give into eating something. Some protein bars are okay if you aren't eating a ton of protein elsewhere in the day. I haven't had any yet but Quest makes a keto line of bars if I remember correctly. I know they were being tested not too long ago.

I avoid snacking best I can but if I must snack then I go with almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts or hard boiled eggs. I even pre-cook bacon at times and have it around when needed. Hard boiled eggs and bacon can be a life saver when you really need a quick snack or mentally give into eating something. Some protein bars are okay if you aren't eating a ton of protein elsewhere in the day. I haven't had any yet but Quest makes a keto line of bars if I remember correctly. I know they were being tested not too long ago.

Interesting. I do IF (6/18) and I eat slow and steady during my 6 hour window. Would doing meals be better?

Interesting. I do IF (6/18) and I eat slow and steady during my 6 hour window. Would doing meals be better?

I also intermittent fast most of the week. I used to eat within an 8 hour period and take 16 hours off. Listening to Craig Kent and reading a link he posted, looks like I may switch to a 10 on 14 off. All about experimenting and finding what works for you

One of our Managers is doing this diet. When he told me what he was eating I told him he was full of crap. But the results are showing, he's lost a ton of weight and is looking good.

One of our Managers is doing this diet. When he told me what he was eating I told him he was full of crap. But the results are showing, he's lost a ton of weight and is looking good.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but it works like crazy.

What is the difference between Keto and Atkins?

Sugar stores fat. Make your body burn fat for energy and most of us have a lot of stored energy we need to use.

From my high of 205 I dropped 40 pounds to 165. I'm back to 175 now after starting to work out and put on muscle. I've gone from a 36 waist to a 31

What is the difference between Keto and Atkins?
Atkins is high protein. Keto is high fat with moderate protein.

Most people I've come across that did Atkins did great for a while but eventually they start putting weight back on. From what I can find, this has to do with the way the body handles excess protein. It essentially turns it into glucose and thus starts the fat storage program all over.

Dr Gundry talks about why Atkins fails so many in his book "Diet Evolution".

Atkins is high protein. Keto is high fat with moderate protein.

Most people I've come across that did Atkins did great for a while but eventually they start putting weight back on. From what I can find, this has to do with the way the body handles excess protein. It essentially turns it into glucose and thus starts the fat storage program all over.

Dr Gundry talks about why Atkins fails so many in his book "Diet Evolution".

Is there a book like what Atkins had?

Is there a book like what Atkins had?
Not officially. Diet Evolution is pretty close. I think there is one called The Primal Blueprint that is supposed to be good as well

Most Paleo books will get you close as well. Paleo still consumes too much sugar in spots and not enough fat

Is there a good online reference to this diet?

Is there a good online reference to this diet?

I'm not sure what you mean by reference but reddit.com/r/keto is where I started.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

KInda sounds a little like Paleo to me... Sounds interesting.

Been reading up on this. Sounds intriguing...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Be careful with this if you are someone that is chronically stressed and or deals with high cortisol levels. Both intermittent fasting and restricting carbohydrates too low have been clinically proven to elevate serum cortisol levels.

The issue with high protein is only really a problem for someone who isn't regularly exercising. That's not a knock on keto, just a knock on those people who blame excess protein for the diet failures.

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html

Keto is probably perfect for the average person who isn't going to do resistance training or metabolic conditioning on a regular basis. Also, dietary cholesterol and healthy fats are essential for healthy hormone levels. So the keto diet can actually raise testosterone in healthy males, while there are studies showing high protein/low carb diets that limited healthy fats actually lowered testosterone levels in otherwise healthy men.

For those that want to do resistance training and conditioning on a regular basis and not feel like crap doing it, some carbs are a necessity and not bad.

So did a search for this to see if any other THP members had talked about this and came upon this thread.

Looking into starting this. From what I have read, and this is personally me looking into it, I would not really call this a diet, and more of a way to change your eating habits. Would this be accurate? I mean obviously people lose crazy weight with this, but I am getting closer to the half century mark and I know I need to start thinking differently about how and what I should eat.

Would love to hear any members thoughts on Keto, positive and negatives. What works and what doesn't work.

It starts as a diet and then becomes a life choice essentially. My wife started it in October of last year, lost around 30 lbs within the first 2 months and really has been able to maintain that weight for a prolonged period of time.

Outside of weight loss she has more energy, sleeps better, wakes up without that “fog” and generally feels much better than before. I did it for a month or so and lost about 18lbs, I weight 170. You can combine it with exercise as well as there are keto protein supplements.

Plenty of recipes out there, we certainly have our favorites. Also if coffee is a go to for you there are multiple “bulletproof” keto coffee options.

Any other questions let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife started this 2 weeks ago and shes thrilled with the results and how she is feeling so far... might have to jump in to it as well

Tried it and discovered it wasn't for me. I'm what you'd consider a picky eater, so the available side dishes to compliment the meats were the downfall for me.

Tried it and discovered it wasn't for me. I'm what you'd consider a picky eater, so the available side dishes to compliment the meats were the downfall for me.

did you ever consider a side dish of meat to compliment the meat?

Back