THP Official Keto Thread

I have been doing Keto for 2 months and feel great. Plenty of good resources especially on Facebook. I am down from 224 to 200 since June 18 with minimal workouts. I just started doing HiiT and some weight training again. PM for some good FB pages.

Also one of the things you always hear about is "Keto Flu". That is mainly caused by low electroytes from eating fresh whole foods so I supplement with Himalayan Salt, potassium and Magnesium.

The negatives I have heard regarding keto are that it will
More then likely raise your cholesterol, which will lead to more serious health problems.

Can’t argue with the results people see but long term might not be the best diet/lifestyle choice.

The doctor my wife works with recommends a more plant based whole food diet and limiting meat and dairy intake. Basically trying to get away from the traditional western diet. I have been doing that for the last 3 or 4 weeks and am down 15lbs. Will get a blood draw next month to check cholesterol levels, expecting those to be down too.

The negatives I have heard regarding keto are that it will
More then likely raise your cholesterol, which will lead to more serious health problems.

Can’t argue with the results people see but long term might not be the best diet/lifestyle choice.

The doctor my wife works with recommends a more plant based whole food diet and limiting meat and dairy intake. Basically trying to get away from the traditional western diet. I have been doing that for the last 3 or 4 weeks and am down 15lbs. Will get a blood draw next month to check cholesterol levels, expecting those to be down too.

Sounds like Whole 30. That is insane strict. We did that for a bit as well, its much more difficult.

For those that want to do resistance training and conditioning on a regular basis and not feel like crap doing it, some carbs are a necessity and not bad.

What exactly is it that you are implying can't be done without eating "some" carbs or feeling "like crap" (both of which are very vague)?

It starts as a diet and then becomes a life choice essentially.

...has more energy, sleeps better, wakes up without that “fog” and generally feels much better than before.

This x1000. Energy levels are more level throughout the day, too. No more energy rush and subsequent crash from eating too many carbs and too much sugar.

I've been "diagnosed/labeled" as "keto" by some (maybe one) here, but I think I fall more toward the Paleo side than keto. All I know is, since I cut the vast majority of the carbs and sugar I was eating, I feel great, my energy levels are more level and more sustainable, and I can run like the wind blows without worrying about getting hungry.

I'm not sure I'd call what I do IF, but I've been training myself not to eat until ~noon and I usually eat a 2nd time around 1900, then again before bed around 2330 albeit a smaller meal/large snack. Is 12/12 considered IF?

One of the misconceptions is that you don't get any carbs but this is not true. You count net carbs so carbs minus fiber so you can get plenty of energy from vegetables and also good fats such as MCT oil and Ghee. I keep my net carbs below 25-30 but have plenty of vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, spinach etc. I don't lack for energy at all. My current macros are 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% net carbs which at my current calorie count is 115 g of protein, 102 g fat and 25 g net carbs

T
I'm not sure I'd call what I do IF, but I've been training myself not to eat until ~noon and I usually eat a 2nd time around 1900, then again before bed around 2330 albeit a smaller meal/large snack. Is 12/12 considered IF?

Yes it is. I do the same thing but on a different timeline

Sounds like Whole 30. That is insane strict. We did that for a bit as well, its much more difficult.

Close. Whole 30 is crazy strict. A friend of mine is very high risk for heart attack and was put on Whole 30 to try to get levels in order. Find out in a couple of months if it has helped.

The diet/lifestyle I have started is more inline with flexatarian. Much simpler to follow.

Wait a minute.....

You mean there's a diet where I can eat nothing but bacon? I think I can do that.

I have heard that both Whole 30 and a ketogenic diet work wonders for a number of illnesses/disease. From bringing down blood pressure to eliminating the need for certain medications etc. Im sure your friends will have a good report when the time comes.

Wait a minute.....

You mean there's a diet where I can eat nothing but bacon? I think I can do that.

Haha, I saw that as well

My wife has been diagnosed as pre-diabetic so we were reading up on some of the diet changes that are recommended to try and control it - which is going to be difficult as she alreadys eats very healthily and the changes on the information she was given are useless

I saw 'The Bacon Experiment' and am going to investigate it a bit more, even if it is just to kickstart the weight loss I want to move (down 4lb in a month but a quick hit would be nice, although not always sensible) and do it for a week or so

Haha, I saw that as well

My wife has been diagnosed as pre-diabetic so we were reading up on some of the diet changes that are recommended to try and control it - which is going to be difficult as she alreadys eats very healthily and the changes on the information she was given are useless

I saw 'The Bacon Experiment' and am going to investigate it a bit more, even if it is just to kickstart the weight loss I want to move (down 4lb in a month but a quick hit would be nice, although not always sensible) and do it for a week or so

You really have to be careful when just starting Keto to try an extreme such as that. If you try it I would not stray far from a toilet! Another one I see on of the FB pages that people do is Burger and Butter Fast where you eat nothing but hamburger and butter for 3-5 days. I see some that lose 5-6 lbs in a 3 days doing that. I have no desire to try either....

You really have to be careful when just starting Keto to try an extreme such as that. If you try it I would not stray far from a toilet! Another one I see on of the FB pages that people do is Burger and Butter Fast where you eat nothing but hamburger and butter for 3-5 days. I see some that lose 5-6 lbs in a 3 days doing that. I have no desire to try either....

I certainly wouldn't just start without finding as much as I can about it, besides, I would want to check with my GP how it would react with the medication I already take on a daily basis

I have read some things around spikes in certain blood markers, so having had a TIA and taking medication for raised BP, I wouldn't blindly jump in to any type of diet

Man I used to be so fit when doing keto, but have been off any clean eating lifestyle for a few years now.. I try and fail everytime haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It starts as a diet and then becomes a life choice essentially. My wife started it in October of last year, lost around 30 lbs within the first 2 months and really has been able to maintain that weight for a prolonged period of time.

Outside of weight loss she has more energy, sleeps better, wakes up without that “fog” and generally feels much better than before. I did it for a month or so and lost about 18lbs, I weight 170. You can combine it with exercise as well as there are keto protein supplements.

Plenty of recipes out there, we certainly have our favorites. Also if coffee is a go to for you there are multiple “bulletproof” keto coffee options.

Any other questions let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off I want to thank everyone and their response's. I have not started yet, I had a sick kiddo for 3 days, then my wife got hand foot and mouth....holy shnickies...I never want to contract that. So anyways it is hard to start a diet and try to take care of two sicko's and all that goes with it.

Are their any books to recommend? I have been reading up on the diet doctor and healthline.com I feel like I am getting good info to prepare. Just need another source I feel like.

Back