Do you help spot and look for balls for your group?

Do you help spot and look for balls for your group?

• I will go out of my way (within reason)

Votes: 85 69.7%
  • I help when practical for me to do so

Votes: 36 29.5%
  • I only help minimally if its easy enough

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I dont care and rarely help

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I asked this a loooong time ago and thought to bring it up again.
I am one who needs help and I also offer a ton of help. I will (within reason) go out of my way to help. I don't particularly care for those (and they do exist) which could care less about any ones ball but their own. Especially when you head to the somewhat same area and/or its on the way. Most people I find are pretty helpful. Some will go out of their way and some will but only when practical enough, others will help only minimally and just a few don't care at all.

Which one are you? and if you want to discuss it, please share thoghts.

I always help others find their ball as much as possible, whether playing a casual or competitive round.

I'd do that on certain holes and occasional misses. If the golfer(s) hit wild drives on every holes and especially playing from the wrong tee, I wouldn't go out of my way to help him find the ball. Yoyo, you're on your own. Welcome to golf.

Always help look for balls

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I help to look within reason.

I'd do that on certain holes and occasional misses. If the golfer(s) hit wild drives on every holes and especially playing from the wrong tee, I wouldn't go out of my way to help him find the ball. Yoyo, you're on your own. Welcome to golf.

what does the wrong tee have to do with it? I mean... An errant shot is an errant shot. no? I do get when its constant battle it can get to be a pain, but as for wrong tee Im not seeing that one to be any different than being errant from a more forward tee.

I'll absolutely help look, every time.

But I must admit, because it happens fairly often, if after a few holes I see that my effort to locate a person's ball far exceeds that of the person who actually lost the ball, I'll ratchet it back to their level. And the instant they give up, so will I.

I help out as much as I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always watch and help look. It's good etiquette IMO

I try but my vision is getting worse and I hate wearing glasses when I golf so I'm usually the one that needs help spotting my ball.

I seem to have the best eyes of the normal group for watching the ball flight so I try to pay attention.

what does the wrong tee have to do with it? I mean... An errant shot is an errant shot. no? I do get when its constant battle it can get to be a pain, but as for wrong tee Im not seeing that one to be any different than being errant from a more forward tee.

Yeah, I can understand the first few holes of spraying. If they can't get it together off the tee they should change the approach. Change the tee, or change the club to tee off.

I posted this a last month on another forum. I played with 2 guys mid handicap and a single joining me sharing a cart. He's a really nice kid. The 2some were playing from the blue, they are ok long hitters and kept it in the fairway about half the time. This guy top his ball on almost every holes with the driver playing from the blue. We have to spend about 5-almost 10 mins looking for his ball from a knee height rough 20 yards from the tee box.

After a few holes I asked if he wants to join me on the white tee, by that time it was clear I was the better player in the group, the 2some encouraged him but he said, he rather play from the blue with "the guys". After that the rest of our group took a few minutes to look for his ball then declared it lost, drop another man. This is not about ego, it's about playing the tee that suits you. I'd feel better if he at least tried to play from a more forward tee and not holding anyone up.

I'm a 2 who can shoot my handicap from white or blue, I choose to play from the white at public course. If you are 18+ you should be playing from more forward tees so you can occasionally hits 5wd, or 7i to keep it in the fairway.

I usually play at my club alone so playing with others is always a welcome treat. I also been around and have pretty think face when our group is slowing others down, but I'm sorry I can't spend 5 mins for every errands drives that drops right in front of the tee box on every holes and arrive at my shot rush. What would you do?

I always help out ,but after 2 minutes no more looking . I suggest dropping

I used to be great at watching tee balls and am pretty good. I will always help search for a ball. I help look even if it's a random pairing.

I have been in the service industry since 2001, I think being helpful is just my normal operation.

My eyes were never great and are getting worse. I need all the help I can get and I appreciate it, so I give as much help as I can. I'm actually pretty good at finding balls lost in deep rough.

If I am riding and know where my ball is I will help for the full time, if I don't know where min is I will help for a mine then go find mine. Walking I will help if my drive is in Fairway but if I hit the ball 8 miles right and you hit 8 miles left and I am walking I just go to my ball.

I certainly always try to help spot for people. I will usually help look if my ball is in the vicinity and safe.

If the location of my own ball is in question I'll try to find my own first. If my ball is on the opposite side of the hole and there's a couple guys already looking for a ball I'll usually opt out.

Our group always walks, and we all will cross the fairway to help look for errant shots regardless of where our ball is. However there have been times I've played with guys that hit balls in the woods on every hole and after the 8th or 9th time I may not be as eager to help look for balls anymore, especially on my course where poison ivy is abundant.

It is a courtesy to who you are playing with to help them.

I do the best I can to help others find their ball. Starts with watching the ball off the tee and then trying follow it in flight. Doesn't always work, but I do the best I can.

I'll at least walk by the area their ball went in and take a look. I won't go deep into the woods or over growth trying to find it though. I don't even do that for my own ball.

Play it as a lateral and move along.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

If two or three people are already looking and I'm on the other side of the fairway I don't bother. I hit while they look otherwise I do.

always help look....you never know when you will need the help...and we will all need the help at one point in time

I always help, but if it isn't reciprocated on another hole then I am done.

always help look....you never know when you will need the help...and we will all need the help at one point in time

Well said teammate. 100% agree.

Back