Playing golf in Scotland

Photon Guy

Reaction score
Handicap
From what I know modern golf originated in Scotland and that's where the sport is played the most. I was wondering if American golfers ever go to Scotland to play and to be coached. Golf in Scotland must be like Baseball in the USA in terms of popularity.

From what I know modern golf originated in Scotland and that's where the sport is played the most. I was wondering if American golfers ever go to Scotland to play and to be coached. Golf in Scotland must be like Baseball in the USA in terms of popularity.

I'm not going to be coached but we're planning a trip for next summer for 5-7 days of golf. Kind of a bucket list trip for me but you're only young once, better enjoy it. Plus I have the rest of my days to pay the credit card off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family and I did a trip to Scotland in 2013. My uncle lives over there, so we had a hookup. One of the caddies we met, runs a website that sets up trips for people at golf courses where it is typically challenging to get a tee time at: https://www.caddiegolftours.com/.

We played St Andrews (Old and New courses), Kingsbarn, Carinouste, Royal Dornoch, Gleneagles, Narn, and a couple others. It was a 10 day trip, and if you are a golf fan - try and do a trip there. The type of golf played over there is completely different, and everyone we met loved the game and the people were great.

We didn't really get coached, as the rest of my family are all scratch golfers (I am not) but it was definitely worth the trip!

I'm not going to be coached but we're planning a trip for next summer for 5-7 days of golf. Kind of a bucket list trip for me but you're only young once, better enjoy it. Plus I have the rest of my days to pay the credit card off.

The trip will be one of a lifetime! Definitely do it! If you can pick specific courses, try and play Royal Dornoch and Kingsbarn while you are there, Royal Dornoch is the greatest golf course I've ever played, and it's in a town with about 5500 people.

The trip will be one of a lifetime! Definitely do it! If you can pick specific courses, try and play Royal Dornoch and Kingsbarn while you are there, Royal Dornoch is the greatest golf course I've ever played, and it's in a town with about 5500 people.

I'm setting the Old Course, New Course, Kingsbarn, Prestwick & Troon. Probably a few more thrown in for good measure. Plus whiskey.

Try and play dornoch, if you can get there, the whiskey is wonderful

Right on! Heading out there in August for the big 4-0 trip. Playing Turnberry, Gleneagles, Carnoustie, Carnoustie Burnside, The Old Course and The Castle Course. Only live once so what the hell.

I think the thread left the OP's original question. Is Scotland a place that is a good training ground for junior golfers (and coaches) looking to compete professionally? My guess is no. That distinction seems to be held by Florida and Arizona.....

Such a great trip. I last did it in 2011 and was supposed to go this year but my back can't hold up to 18 rounds in 10 days. We have 20 guys who who do 2 trips a year and Scotland was on the rotation for this year. A really diverse group, a former 2 term US Senator and Presidential candidate, 2 brand name CEO's, a few serial entrepreneurs and normal schlubs like me.

Back