JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I am considering changing some outlets in my office to the USB outlets. My question is two fold.

1. Has anybody done this and found certain ones work better than others (taking amps out of the equation)
2. Should I be concerned about USB-C becoming the norm making these obsolete in the future

I've only seen one power outlet with USB C (and one USB A) port. Honestly, I couldn't justify spending $35 on replacing a single outlet. For now I bought a couple power strips with multiple USB A ports that went on sale for under $15.

If I were considering desktop use, I'd have gotten one of those multiport charging blocks. Usually $20 or less depending on numbers of ports. I suspect we'll be seeing the mixed USB A/C multiport charging blocks soon if they aren't already out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the USB-C concern, but I have a few of these strategically spread out in the house and they work really well. They charge pretty quick and I've not had any issues at all.

TOPGREENER TU21548A Smart Dual USB Charger Outlet 4.8A-24W Ultra-High-Speed/2 Receptacles 15A, 3 Face Covers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BTC5I5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7lBpzb1XEV2WE

I'm not sure about the USB-C concern, but I have a few of these strategically spread out in the house and they work really well. They charge pretty quick and I've not had any issues at all.

TOPGREENER TU21548A Smart Dual USB Charger Outlet 4.8A-24W Ultra-High-Speed/2 Receptacles 15A, 3 Face Covers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BTC5I5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7lBpzb1XEV2WE
I think that's the same company that makes the outlet with one A and one C port. I was just too lazy to look it up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quite an interesting question. I don't think they will be obsolete any time soon.

I'd be more worried about USB 2.0 becoming obsolete but that could be a few years away. USB 3.0 (or3.1, depends on manufacturer) is a fantastic technology that won't disappear for a little while.

USB-C easily trumps them all right now for what it can do. As you know, even Apple killed off their proprietary crap for USB-C.

I think USB-C will become the norm MUCH faster than people think. It is a giant leap and we have already seen some adoption. Plus it makes financial sense for all the companies to push the upgrade sooner rather than later

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Admin
I think USB-C will become the norm MUCH faster than people think. It is a giant leap and we have already seen some adoption. Plus it makes financial sense for all the companies to push the upgrade sooner rather than later

This is my fear. While the cost is not prohibitive to redo, the hassle and waste to do so, only to have to do them again in a couple of years sounds terrible.

I am considering changing some outlets in my office to the USB outlets. My question is two fold.

1. Has anybody done this and found certain ones work better than others (taking amps out of the equation)
2. Should I be concerned about USB-C becoming the norm making these obsolete in the future

I changed the outlet by my nightstand and am going to put one in by my new desk. I like it and they were easy to wire.

We got this about 6 months ago for $14 on Amazon. Works great. Less of a permanent change.
d6f4a5ec8ddb795b1f8d2dbe2dadf4c0.png

I got a six pack of Amazon for I think about $80. Very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

USB C won't make them obsolete because you can still plug a usb c cord into a standard usb charger and it will work. Only downside is that you won't be able to use the quick charge feature which is super handy.

I would personally recommend a power strip with a USB option like this one since you can still use the standard outlets but can also use the USB's.
https://www.anker.com/products/A2764121

I just don't see the point in changing the outlet completely when you can buy an attachment like that plus it's easier to upgrade

USB C won't make them obsolete because you can still plug a usb c cord into a standard usb charger and it will work. Only downside is that you won't be able to use the quick charge feature which is super handy.

I would personally recommend a power strip with a USB option like this one since you can still use the standard outlets but can also use the USB's.
https://www.anker.com/products/A2764121

I just don't see the point in changing the outlet completely when you can buy an attachment like that plus it's easier to upgrade

The reason is because of the way it looks in a home. In some areas a power strip or something bulky is not preferrred.

This is my thought too. Apple has gone all in and you're starting to see the other laptop manufacturers loading their devices up with USB-C. I think in a couple of years USB-C is likely to be the norm.

I changed an outlet in my home office to USB and couldn't be happier. Becoming obsolete was not a factor prior to purchase.

I've been debating hard on switching a couple in my house. Mainly the ones beside the nightstands and one in the kitchen. It would be so much easier. Right now we have 3-4 usb bricks plugged into the wall on the kitchen counter and it looks terrible.

We added a couple of these outlets to the house, specifically in our kitchen area and they have been extremely convenient. I'll be honest in that I haven't paid enough attention to USB-C, but if it becomes the norm, it won't take long for me to flip the outlets and update them.

Thanks for starting this thread! I haven't thought about installing one of these previously, but I will now...

Back