Lamkin UTx Grips Review

I think I still have an unopened pack from when they first came out. I don't know why but cleaning my grips is something I never think of.
I only have to maybe once a season

I love these grips. I was always gold pride guy in the past, but I am a convert now

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give those Gripes a try. The grips felt great at first, but between my oily hands, the humid weather, and all the time I've spent practicing I guess they just got gunked up really fast.

I've noticed that the UTx on my 6i has gotten slick. Like, my coach picked it up and went "eew, this needs a new grip" slick. It may just need a cleaning, but I just put those grips on a couple months ago. They start out super tacky, but that tackiness goes away pretty quickly.

Lamkin Gripes

What he said ^

I clean my grips about once per month, although as much as I've been playing, I should probably just go ahead and change to once every 2-3 weeks. Gripes are truly amazing.

~Rock

JMan had recommended them to me on a totally different thread when I was describing my "perfect" grip. I didn't think it'd been built so I was writing what I'd want out of a grip. JMan said it had and that I should try the UTX wraps. I trust JMan, so I decided to take the plunge.

The regulars (non-wrap) were on a BOGO a few months back, so I bought those and put them on a couple of clubs. Wow is all I can say.

I'm a range rat. I live in a warm climate. I walk 80% of my rounds. I'm a fat, sweaty man. They're tacky. They work when you're sweating or in the rain. They feel soft and hard at the same time, if that makes any sense.

They work so well that I can wear them with 2 gloves, without gloves or with one glove. In fact, they work so well that I've been able for the first time since returning to golf, I've not worn a glove on my right hand. I've had horrible issues with blistering due to improper grip pressure that I have had since the very first time I picked up a golf club 25 years ago. It was so bad that my hands would literally be bleeding mid round if I weren't wearing two gloves. Going to the UTX has given me the trust to lighten the grip pressure. That in turn has allowed me to drop the gloves. What I'm going to save with golf gloves are worth the price in changing alone. I also think it's better for my hands and the ability to play this game longer.

In short, all the clubs outside of the putter are going to UTXs or UTX Wraps. This will be my grip moving forwards.

I love these grips as well. I just can not get over the blue cap for every color option. For some reason (I know it shouldn't), if my club is a different color, I can't use them with the blue cap. Lamkin, give more color options please!!!

Last edited:
I am into my second season with my UTx on all my clubs playing at least two rounds per week (damn work) and I do not see any reason to replace them any time soon. I give them a good scrub with Lamkin Gripes about every 10-15 rounds and they seem to be as good as new. I will replace them with the same when these finally wear out.

Looking to get 2 of these to throw on my other wedges. I have one on my 56 and absolutely love it

I love these grips as well. I just can not get over the blue cap for every color option. For some reason (I know it shouldn't), if my club is a different color, I can't use them with the blue cap. Lamkin, give more color options please!!!

I must admit that the blue cap kind of bothers me as well. I'd like them better with black caps.

I just picked up some of the UTX wraps. The seams on them are actually kind of poor. I'm going to have to trim them up. I didn't see this issue on the regulars.

I've had this on my driver for a couple months and think I am going to go back to either the tour velvet or ndmc. Not that I think this is bad or anything I just like the feel of the others more.

I've had this on my driver for a couple months and think I am going to go back to either the tour velvet or ndmc. Not that I think this is bad or anything I just like the feel of the others more.

Try the UTx Black ... it seems tackier, or does not appear to have as much cord material. It has a different feel than the red or blue.

Edit: The grips are the same - when comparing, I had one club with two wraps, and the black had one wrap - so it felt softer. The difference is the extra wrap.

Last edited:
Try the UTx Black ... it seems tackier, or does not appear to have as much cord material. It has a different feel than the red or blue.
They're honestly the same. But the brain is a powerful thing I know, no wrong in that.

I bought 13 of the solid blue UTX and put them on my current irons, and still have a original black on on my driver...and I too feel like they feel different, but also know i have to be making it up in my head. I mean...it's the exact same material, just different coloring, isn't it?

It's the UTx that comes with the R15, not sure which model that is but the cap is red.

I think it is the texture. It seems like it would be really good in wet conditions, which I almost never have to deal with.

They're honestly the same. But the brain is a powerful thing I know, no wrong in that.

(face palm)

They are the same (of course). Just looked at the two clubs.

I have two wraps on one club with the red, and one wrap on an iron with the black UTx -- the difference is the extra wrap gives it a slightly different feel.

Never mind my post above. (embarrassed)

I still love the UTx grip.

i think there are some differences in batches of these too. maybe its in my head as well. i have them on my hybrids and driver and the blue on my driver definitely has more cord than the red ones on my hybrids. also of note, i have been contemplating putting these on my irons but my RELs wont wear out. i have picked these up in the store at least a dozen times and some are grayer than others while some have more color (im not talking about the newer solid blue and red, but the original blue/gray and red/gray ones). i assumed that is the different materials that are joined, but there are def some that have more color and some with more gray in them.

i think there are some differences in batches of these too. maybe its in my head as well. i have them on my hybrids and driver and the blue on my driver definitely has more cord than the red ones on my hybrids. also of note, i have been contemplating putting these on my irons but my RELs wont wear out. i have picked these up in the store at least a dozen times and some are grayer than others while some have more color (im not talking about the newer solid blue and red, but the original blue/gray and red/gray ones). i assumed that is the different materials that are joined, but there are def some that have more color and some with more gray in them.

I've had the same experience and it bugged me so much I reached out to the online content guy at Lamkin about it and told him that I felt the blue grips were the thickest of the three while the black were the thinnest feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

240cc26b94609dfbfa975b9af900b43e.jpg

Maybe these are the same but they obviously look different. Just an example of what I was referring to.

Lamkin UTx Grips Review

I played a borrowed driver that had this grip on it yesterday. It was interesting. Just holding clubs over the weekend I wasn't 100% in love with these grips, they felt a tiny bit rough and I missed the extra squishiness of my 3GENS and I-Lines. Coincidentally, I battled slippery hands all weekend - had that feeling that my grips and/or gloves had just reached the point of needing to be replaced (as an example, I rotated between two gloves during each round, trying to let them dry out during the round). As I think back on it, I realize I never had any trouble with slippage on the borrowed UTx grip.

I played a borrowed driver that had this grip on it yesterday. It was interesting. Just holding clubs over the weekend I wasn't 100% in love with these grips, they felt a tiny bit rough and I missed the extra squishiness of my 3GENS and I-Lines. Coincidentally, I battled slippery hands all weekend - had that feeling that my grips and/or gloves had just reached the point of needing to be replaced (as an example, I rotated between two gloves during each round, trying to let them dry out during the round). As I think back on it, I realize I never had any trouble with slippage on the borrowed UTx grip.

FWIW, one of my drivers has a new Iomic Grip on it; the other has the UTX grip. When hands or glove were moist, I almost lost the driver with the New Iomic - had to hold on to it for dear life in the follow-throu.

No problems with the UTx grips.

The Iomic is coming off today.

240cc26b94609dfbfa975b9af900b43e.jpg

Maybe these are the same but they obviously look different. Just an example of what I was referring to.

I am not sure what material the gray color represents but I have seen A bunch like this before, blue and red.

I'm sold on this grip 100%. It's simply great at everything in every condition.

It's tough on gloves for me, but at the performance it offers I don't really care.

It's tough on gloves for me, but at the performance it offers I don't really care.

Yep yep, I won't game another grip full time. I simply won't.

I knew I liked you guys. Agree 100%. Best grip I've ever used, bar none.
Yep yep, I won't game another grip full time. I simply won't.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm ready to switch back to these grips. I had them on my old irons and still have them on driver/woods/60*. Got new irons in the spring and they didn't have UTx so I settled for NDMC… I've had UTx on my 60* for 10 months now and can't believe how tacky it still is. Just love the softer feel and how it doesn't tear my hands up as bad as the NDMC.

Back