do you utse alignment sticks for practice

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I think they are a must. I also think its pretty amazing how far "out of line" we may gradually grow. Without ever noticing we can move more and more. And it can get to the point where as it feels odd and uncomfy when you do put down these sticks and see just how far off we are. It can actually feel like being straight is crooked.

I been using them somewhat religiously since my lesson package late winter. But then (because I had wooden dowels I ended up breaking one in my trunk, than another and the other warped and so I didn't use them at the range for a number of sessions through a few weeks. Well the other day I finally went and bought new (fiberglass) ones. When I got the range I was amazed just how much I had drifted in just a fairly short time without their use.

I already new of their importance , but Im glad this happened to me because it reminded me just how important to me they really are.

I usually begin most every range session with them. I remove them eventually and sometimes put them back down again in the same session. You do have to spend some time without them so as to get use to addressing the ball without them of course. But all in all imo they do wonders and I was surprised at how much I drifted.

On another note I had to go through about 100 of them (orange curb marker sticks for winter snows) before I found a few nice straight ones at the Home center (lowes). But at least they wont warp or break on me.lol

Sometimes. Just depends what I'm working on.

I had once or twice last year, thats been it

Nope I just put a club down instead.

Very rarely - I tend to use video or a club.

Only if I'm working on or feel like my alignment is off. My pro had me start my range sessions this year with them in the beginning as I was lining up to far left for the shot shape I wanted. Since then I only use them periodically

I have 2 extra driver shafts I keep in my bag. Alignment is tricky for me, and my playing partners can't even figure out which way I am aiming. I set up weird with shoulders on target line but feet are set to my desired swing path, so it usually looks like I am aiming 25 yards right of where I actually am.

I have 2 extra driver shafts I keep in my bag. Alignment is tricky for me, and my playing partners can't even figure out which way I am aiming. I set up weird with shoulders on target line but feet are set to my desired swing path, so it usually looks like I am aiming 25 yards right of where I actually am.

then you should use a giant pretzel as a guide :)

Fwiw before ive even had this past years lessons I was so off and twisted all kinds of ways. Its amazing I was even able to address the ball without falling down .lol but years of self made corrections just had me every which way but straight..lol

I don't go to the range very often, not like I used to. When I do I always use my alignment sticks.

Now if I only new what an "UTSE" means.lol

Ahh what can ya do? it happens.

I use them every session, it just engrains good habits. I think more people should use them and they'd play better golf. So simple and build muscle memory.

I utse them occasionally depending what I'm working on. I do keep two of them in the trunk and sometimes in the bag.

every weekend when I'm on the range I throw one down.
my shoulders and club head are typically square to the target but my front foot is positioned a little bit more forward than my back foot, i like to draw the ball..

The past couple time I have done it, it has helped a lot.

I do mine in a cross though. Tape on the horizontal stick for foot placement, and i use the vertical (assume north south) for ball position.

I use them at every range session, with all clubs, driver to wedges.

Sometimes. Just depends what I'm working on.

Same for me. I have. It just depends. No sticks for me. I just use my longest iron.

Pretty much every range session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just started using these recently, and really think they're beneficial. A great tool for training my swing path to be coming ever so slightly from the inside.

Yep. The most needed/used practice tool I own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they are one of the simplest, yet most effective tools out there.

I use them every session, it just engrains good habits. I think more people should use them and they'd play better golf. So simple and build muscle memory.
Had a lesson this weekend where the pro pretty much said this exact thing. Now that I know how to use them properly, I play on putting them in my bag and using them in every range session.

fwiw I will also change targets with them as im practicing. I may go right side target, middle, then left and back. Funny how (for me) I find just changing targets can throw me off.

I try "not" to use the square mat and line up targets intentionally on an angle from it. Imo too many tee boxes can have us facing at an angle different from fairways and also I may often find myself on the edge of a turning fairway. Heck, even lawn mower lines can throw things off or having to aim at a green from an angle offset to the fairways or whtever lines we might find on the course. I try to make it so I can comfortably ignore lines near the place of address and depend only on a target line.
That's not imo so easy to do when we tend to get use to using nearby lines as a guide. I think that's a habit many us players do. But those lines we tend to use are often not aligned with our target so they are not always dependable at all. That habit imo can work to be a bad one.

I use an old fairway shaft each time at the range

Back