Alignment question

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
While at the range last night, contemplating my propensity to push shots right, I had a minor epiphany.

I always make sure my feet are square to the target line, hips are square to the target line, my hands are in a proper grip, the face is perpendicular to the target line, BUT I never thought about my shoulders being open.

I had assumed since everything else seemed to be aligned, they would be too.

Well, I tried a small tweak of bringing my right shoulder back a little, and my left shoulder forward a little, and wouldn't you know, the ball started going straight.

Who would have thought?

So, the question: what do you do to make sure your shoulders are square?

super slow motion swings. Like Harvey Penick says if you think you are going too slow, go slower!
Then while on the course I really pay attention to my hip turn. As well as my rear shoulder if I happen to draw/fade a few.

Alignment stick or club across the the knees, hips and shoulders

Alignment stick or club across the the knees, hips and shoulders

OK, I've seen and read about this.

Now, how do you do this when you are in your stance, holding the club and addressing the ball?

I think that's where I was opening up, when in position to hit.

continue doing it and youll probably start drawing the ball!

While at the range last night, contemplating my propensity to push shots right, I had a minor epiphany.

I always make sure my feet are square to the target line, hips are square to the target line, my hands are in a proper grip, the face is perpendicular to the target line, BUT I never thought about my shoulders being open.

Well, I tried a small tweak of bringing my right shoulder back a little, and my left shoulder forward a little, and wouldn't you know, the ball started going straight.

Who would have thought?

A tip I saw that helps with shoulders is to put a ball outside of the ball you are hitting that is centered in your stance. Point your chest at that ball and your shoulders will be more square. Imagine that ball out on the course. Really helps with shots where the ball is more forward of center.

OK, I've seen and read about this.

Now, how do you do this when you are in your stance, holding the club and addressing the ball?

I think that's where I was opening up, when in position to hit.

Start with alignment rod that I stand on for balance and make sure knees are square to that. Alignment rod thru belt loops for the hips and then place rod or club across chest. All three sticks should be aligned

you can also practice address in a mirror at home. You souldnt be able to see your rear arm sticking out from the front one but should be hidden behind it.

Who would have thought?

Aiming is a problem I have never been able to fix. I actually have started hitting shots with a closed stance just so I dont have to worry about my slices. Clubface is pointing to target and shoulders and body are aimed right. I actually did this yesterday and had mixed results. The collection of shots were either straight (with a slight draw), pushes to the right or pulls to the left. All shots were playable though and NO wicked slices. First day I tried this though. I plan on sticking with trying to play with a closed stance for a bit and see if I can get some consistent results this way.

BTW when I say closed I mean pretty closed. My back foot (right) was about 2 inches behind the left, basically at the spot the laces on my left shoe end.

I force myself to feel like my shoulders are VERY closed and then they're pretty much right on line. This is a easy one to miss and I struggle with it too. Glad that you figured that out!

Thanks to Freddie, I do the same thing. He noticed my shoulders were open and told me to pull my right shoulder back once I thought I had everything square.

As you can see in my avatar I am the last person who can give advice on proper alignment

A tip I saw that helps with shoulders is to put a ball outside of the ball you are hitting that is centered in your stance. Point your chest at that ball and your shoulders will be more square. Imagine that ball out on the course. Really helps with shots where the ball is more forward of center.

Thanks, Cap'n! I'll give that a whirl.

Start with alignment rod that I stand on for balance and make sure knees are square to that. Alignment rod thru belt loops for the hips and then place rod or club across chest. All three sticks should be aligned

Thank you, emart! Another tip to work on.

you can also practice address in a mirror at home. You souldnt be able to see your rear arm sticking out from the front one but should be hidden behind it.

I tried this just now. It was hard to tell from my small mirror if I was doing it right. I'll try again tomorrow when I can get to the big mirror.

Aiming is a problem I have never been able to fix. I actually have started hitting shots with a closed stance just so I dont have to worry about my slices. Clubface is pointing to target and shoulders and body are aimed right. I actually did this yesterday and had mixed results. The collection of shots were either straight (with a slight draw), pushes to the right or pulls to the left. All shots were playable though and NO wicked slices. First day I tried this though. I plan on sticking with trying to play with a closed stance for a bit and see if I can get some consistent results this way.

BTW when I say closed I mean pretty closed. My back foot (right) was about 2 inches behind the left, basically at the spot the laces on my left shoe end.

FFOB, when I've tried this, I just seem to block it farther right. But, I'll file it away and try it at the range to see if it works.

I force myself to feel like my shoulders are VERY closed and then they're pretty much right on line. This is a easy one to miss and I struggle with it too. Glad that you figured that out!

That's what my little breakthrough seemed to show. I almost feel like my shoulder line is pointing to the roght of the target line.

Thanks to Freddie, I do the same thing. He noticed my shoulders were open and told me to pull my right shoulder back once I thought I had everything square.

Thanks, Smallville. I'm going to try to get a DTL video one of these days to show Panda.

As you can see in my avatar I am the last person who can give advice on proper alignment

When you smash a ball as far as you do, who needs alignment?

I've never used one, but this could help:

shoulder-align-alt01_1024x1024.jpeg

You could also cut an alignment rod (driveway marker) in half and slip it through your belt loops to get the hips aligned.

super slow motion swings. Like Harvey Penick says if you think you are going too slow, go slower!
Then while on the course I really pay attention to my hip turn. As well as my rear shoulder if I happen to draw/fade a few.

So you do this to make sure your shoulders are square? How does a slow motion swing insure square shoulders?

Since you can't take aids on the course. If you simply look down your lead shoulder, it should be aimed at your target. Line up everything along that line.

Square shoulders always feel slightly closed to me. So as I get set, I consciously acknowledge the somewhat closed feel and swing away.

When results are wonky, I'll check and recheck alignment. Open shoulders are often the culprit, or at least complicit.

Since you can't take aids on the course. If you simply look down your lead shoulder, it should be aimed at your target. Line up everything along that line.

Thanks, Panda. That's the exact sort of quick tip I was looking for. Easy to do on-course.

Shouldn't your lead shoulder be aimed left of your target? It was always my understanding that shoulder line and toe line should be left of target line.

Back