New poster, here, and I think I'm screwed.

robrandalgz

2023 Budget Championship #CanyonCowboys
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, for a little background, I've been away from the game for about 5 years. Got the bug a couple of weeks ago and hit the driving range a couple of times. As you can probably guess, the game has it's claws tightly back into me.

Well, with my love rekindled, I began to add some things to my watch list on ebay. One of the things on that list was a set of Callaway Apex forged irons. Now, I'm not a low handicap player. The look of the Apex Irons certainly appealed to me. Unbeknownst to me, these irons (from what I gather) are geared toward a lower handicap player (which I certainly am not). No big deal, I figured, I'll just keep looking. Well, surprise, surprise, it appears that my wife took it upon herself to get into the auction action and actually won these clubs for me (she's been on me for a month for a Father's Day gist idea).

For a little insight into my "game", I was playing (and still own/hit) the first iteration of the Callaway Fusion (not the FT models) irons and I would break 100 maybe once out of every 5 outings (I was one of the few in the group of guys I played with that actually counted ALL of his strokes).

So here's my question: Are these clubs actually more forgiving than those old Fusions or am I going to be taking a step backwards with this Apex Iron set. Thanks in advance to all responses

On a side note: Any old Ham and Egg posters on this site? It's been a while since I've visited any golf forums.

Welcome to THP!

I have never played the Apex or Fusion irons but a lot of THPers rave about the forgiveness of the Apex irons.

Welcome to THP!

I have never played the Apex or Fusion irons but a lot of THPers rave about the forgiveness of the Apex irons.

Thanks for the welcome and reply, my friend.

:welcome:

There is a lot of love for the Apex irons around here and I think it's from a range of handicaps (I haven't hit either the Apex or Fusion irons so I'm no help here). We all score close to or over 100 by different ways too! Do you have a particular miss with your irons?

Try them out and maybe take a few lessons if you're worried about your iron game.

Welcome to THP! I'd say it'll be tough to tell whether or not those irons can maximize your potential without having a better idea on how you arrived at those 100 strokes :). If you're going to dive in headfirst, and fall in love with the game all over again, these may be just perfect, and prevent the need to swap out irons next year when you would have maybe been otherwise looking for something along these lines.

:welcome:

There is a lot of love for the Apex irons around here and I think it's from a range of handicaps (I haven't hit either the Apex or Fusion irons so I'm no help here). We all score close to or over 100 by different ways too! Do you have a particular miss with your irons?

Try them out and maybe take a few lessons if you're worried about your iron game.

I guess if I had to say I have a particular miss it would be a toe shot. The other day at the range I actually had a really good day puring a good percentage of my iron shots once I slowed down the transition from my backswing to a nice deliberate pace. Once I had a decent groove going the biggest percentage of my mis-hits were certainly off the toe when I tried to speed everything up too much and started to get a little steep.

Thanks for the reply, my friend.

Welcome to THP! I'd say it'll be tough to tell whether or not those irons can maximize your potential without having a better idea on how you arrived at those 100 strokes :). If you're going to dive in headfirst, and fall in love with the game all over again, these may be just perfect, and prevent the need to swap out irons next year when you would have maybe been otherwise looking for something along these lines.
That's what I was thinking, also. Admittedly, I'm a Callaway fanboi. I bought my first set of real irons off of a forum just like this one back in 2000. I had been playing a cheap Wal Mart All in one set and bought my first set of Cally X-12s off of a forum poster. I fell in love after trying to play with those Wal Mart turds.

After the X-12s I got caught up in the Tiger/Nike hype and bought a set of Slingshots. Decent clubs for a hack like me but I never could get over the sound of them (the sound of golf is one of my favorite aspects of the game). So, I shelved those after a couple of seasons and bought the set of Fusions used on ebay and have played them ever since (sans my current 5 year hiatus, of course).

As to the path to my 100+ rounds a good amount of those strokes is coming from the tee box. I struggle with the driver more than any golfer I know. I can spend hours at the range and groove some beautiful 5-10 yard draws all day long. Hit the first tee, and it's all gone. I can't explain it but it has plagued me ever since I started playing golf. And, of course, I'm no less of a victim to the short game than anyone else. My chip and pitch game has always been a weak spot but I can putt like a mutha-watchyomouth.

For some reason, it's not letting me thank your post but "Thank You" for the reply and advice.

That's what I was thinking, also. Admittedly, I'm a Callaway fanboi. I bought my first set of real irons off of a forum just like this one back in 2000. I had been playing a cheap Wal Mart All in one set and bought my first set of Cally X-12s off of a forum poster. I fell in love after trying to play with those Wal Mart turds.

After the X-12s I got caught up in the Tiger/Nike hype and bought a set of Slingshots. Decent clubs for a hack like me but I never could get over the sound of them (the sound of golf is one of my favorite aspects of the game). So, I shelved those after a couple of seasons and bought the set of Fusions used on ebay and have played them ever since (sans my current 5 year hiatus, of course).

As to the path to my 100+ rounds a good amount of those strokes is coming from the tee box. I struggle with the driver more than any golfer I know. I can spend hours at the range and groove some beautiful 5-10 yard draws all day long. Hit the first tee, and it's all gone. I can't explain it but it has plagued me ever since I started playing golf. And, of course, I'm no less of a victim to the short game than anyone else. My chip and pitch game has always been a weak spot but I can put like a mutha-watchyomouth.

For some reason, it's not letting me thank your post but "Thank You" for the reply and advice.

No Problem! If you're Tee game and short game are the primary drivers of extra strokes, I think you'd be fine. Its not like the apex's are blades, there's plenty of forgiveness built into them. I think you'll enjoy the sound and feel. I hope you get a chance to get some rounds in with fellow THPers, some of my favorite rounds.

The Apex CF16 are actually decently forgiving, particularly low on the face particularly from the size of the heads. They are not small heads, but not oversized heads like the Callaway Big Bertha Oversize or the King F7 Oversize.

I played them for 18 months as a 14-16 handicap with a pretty awful swing. I don't think they would be a bad option for someone who is planning to start playing more golf and work on their game. There are other options that are very good as well that could be had for cheaper if that is a concern as well, especially from Callaway. The Steelhead XR are larger and more forgiving than the Apex CF16 but not massively so.

So, for a little background, I've been away from the game for about 5 years. Got the bug a couple of weeks ago and hit the driving range a couple of times. As you can probably guess, the game has it's claws tightly back into me.

Well, with my love rekindled, I began to add some things to my watch list on ebay. One of the things on that list was a set of Callaway Apex forged irons. Now, I'm not a low handicap player. The look of the Apex Irons certainly appealed to me. Unbeknownst to me, these irons (from what I gather) are geared toward a lower handicap player (which I certainly am not). No big deal, I figured, I'll just keep looking. Well, surprise, surprise, it appears that my wife took it upon herself to get into the auction action and actually won these clubs for me (she's been on me for a month for a Father's Day gist idea).

For a little insight into my "game", I was playing (and still own/hit) the first iteration of the Callaway Fusion (not the FT models) irons and I would break 100 maybe once out of every 5 outings (I was one of the few in the group of guys I played with that actually counted ALL of his strokes).

So here's my question: Are these clubs actually more forgiving than those old Fusions or am I going to be taking a step backwards with this Apex Iron set. Thanks in advance to all responses

On a side note: Any old Ham and Egg posters on this site? It's been a while since I've visited any golf forums.
Well my advice was going to be to go hit a few sets before making a decision until I kept reading. Now I'm just so happy for you that your wife bought you a set of irons for Father's day.

I am willing to bet you'll be beyond happy with them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Take them and run with them! Practice your form, practice striking the ball in the middle of the face, practice tempo, and have fun ! Too many people look for a magic arrow instead of a good swing. Enjoy the new clubs and perfect the swing then you can hit any club that any manufacturer offers! Cheers!

My first real set of irons were the X-14s with graphite shafts after I saw them in the bag of a guy who I played with pretty often. I've played Callaway irons ever since.

The Apex CF16 are actually decently forgiving, particularly low on the face particularly from the size of the heads. They are not small heads, but not oversized heads like the Callaway Big Bertha Oversize or the King F7 Oversize.

I played them for 18 months as a 14-16 handicap with a pretty awful swing. I don't think they would be a bad option for someone who is planning to start playing more golf and work on their game. There are other options that are very good as well that could be had for cheaper if that is a concern as well, especially from Callaway. The Steelhead XR are larger and more forgiving than the Apex CF16 but not massively so.

The ones that my wife bid on (and won) aren't the CF16 models. They're these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391811849843?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think they are maybe a 2014 model? I'm not sure, to be honest. I've been perusing this site looking for reviews and feedback on the club and I notice that a lot of posters have Apex Irons ITB (or maybe it's just all the posters that reply to those threads. LOL) but I don't know which models are what and how you distinguish them.

I had a set of the 2014(?) 5-PW Big Berthas being watched also. I'm pretty certain that those would have been PLENTY forgiving but, alas, the deed is done. I'll just have to make the best of it. I'll be super disappointed if these are much less forgiving than my current Fusions, though (I ain't gonna lie!), but these suckers sure are purdy in comparison.

Thanks for the reply, brother.

The ones that my wife bid on (and won) aren't the CF16 models. They're these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391811849843?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think they are maybe a 2014 model? I'm not sure, to be honest. I've been perusing this site looking for reviews and feedback on the club and I notice that a lot of posters have Apex Irons ITB (or maybe it's just all the posters that reply to those threads. LOL) but I don't know which models are what and how you distinguish them.

I had a set of the 2014(?) 5-PW Big Berthas being watched also. I'm pretty certain that those would have been PLENTY forgiving but, alas, the deed is done. I'll just have to make the best of it. I'll be super disappointed if these are much less forgiving than my current Fusions, though (I ain't gonna lie!), but these suckers sure are purdy in comparison.

Thanks for the reply, brother.

I played the original Apex (2014 I think is correct), very similar to the CF16 but slightly less forgiving low on the face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP.

Well my advice was going to be to go hit a few sets before making a decision until I kept reading. Now I'm just so happy for you that your wife bought you a set of irons for Father's day.

I am willing to bet you'll be beyond happy with them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think you're right. I know I'm ready slip my wife the D for her birthday, now. (D would be diamond, BTW :snicker:)

Honestly, it was really, really cool of her to do that.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP.

As someone who has hit both frequently I can honestly say you'll be fine 5-PW with the Apex. They have tungsten weighting in the longer irons to help get the ball up and misses off the toe/heel you'll lose 7-12 yards 1/2" out. As long as the lie angle and length fit you (both can be altered cheap) you should be golden. Callaway makes some of the most forgiving "Pro" irons I have ever hit.

Take them and run with them! Practice your form, practice striking the ball in the middle of the face, practice tempo, and have fun ! Too many people look for a magic arrow instead of a good swing. Enjoy the new clubs and perfect the swing then you can hit any club that any manufacturer offers! Cheers!

Pretty much the perfect response. Thanks for the reply, my friend.

I can't compare to the Fusions as I never hit those, but I got a set of Apex irons about 2 months ago and love them. I was 'worried' about going to a forged set, and one that isn't more of a game improvement iron, as that's what I had before. But honestly, after the first round, I didn't miss my old irons at all. I still mishit them at times, but I don't feel like the clubs punish me any more or less than my old irons would. If I hit one really poorly, it's because I did it, not because this particular iron failed to bail me out.

And when you hit them well......man, these clubs feel good.

Welcome to THP.

As someone who has hit both frequently I can honestly say you'll be fine 5-PW with the Apex. They have tungsten weighting in the longer irons to help get the ball up and misses off the toe/heel you'll lose 7-12 yards 1/2" out. As long as the lie angle and length fit you (both can be altered cheap) you should be golden. Callaway makes some of the most forgiving "Pro" irons I have ever hit.

You, sir, are the man. And, yes, I plan on going down to Phoenix when they get here to get the lie angle and length fitted to me when they arrive. Thanks for the welcome and reply, my friend.

I can't compare to the Fusions as I never hit those, but I got a set of Apex irons about 2 months ago and love them. I was 'worried' about going to a forged set, and one that isn't more of a game improvement iron, as that's what I had before. But honestly, after the first round, I didn't miss my old irons at all. I still mishit them at times, but I don't feel like the clubs punish me any more or less than my old irons would. If I hit one really poorly, it's because I did it, not because this particular iron failed to bail me out.

And when you hit them well......man, these clubs feel good.

See, now you just made it move.

Thanks for the feedback and response, brother. Can't wait for these guys to get here.

Welcome to THP, and these are definitely clubs that can serve you well now, but that you'll also be able to grow into. They'll fit a wide handicap gamut. Enjoy them and welcome again

Back