Tennessee travel tips?

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all!
Short version below.

So a full solar eclipse is occurring August 21st and I'm visiting my dad near Niagara Falls the weekend before. I jokingly asked him if he wanted to go to Nashville to see it (the path of totality peaks near enough to there) and he got all excited. So now I might actually be going to Tennessee (live near Ottawa and never been in CONUS except Chi/Buf/NYC). If we do go it'll be a few days in Smashville and a few in Memphis. My dads a huge Elvis fan so have to do Graceland and the studios he recorded at. I have no interest in country music of any kind so need some recommendations on things to do (though likely do Grand Ole Opry just to say I did). My short list from a quick search is (Nash) Shakespeare in the park, Parthenon in park, Andrew Jackson Hermitage, and (Mem) Zoo, Civil Rights Museum, Beale St, and Gibson Guitar factory. Yay or nay on list? Unlikely we'll have room for golf clubs, but if so, good inexpensive courses?

Any my tips for things to do in Nashville or Memphis?

To save costs were going to tent camp; any suggestions on campgrounds near there?

Bump for Tennessee people

Tours of the Ryman or Grand Ole Opry. Going to a concert at the Ryman or the Grand Ole Opry.

Country Music Hall of Fame. Nashville sightseeing bus (to have them point out the studios on Music Row).

Songwriter night at the Bluebird cafe (have to arrive very early).

Cheap golf: Greystone in Dixon (45 minutes outside downtown) or Forrest Crossing (20 minutes outside downtown) in Franklin. Hermitage golf course or Gaylord Springs are closer options, but they're in the $80 range. There's also quite a few municipal courses, but I don't play those much, so I would hesitate to recommend one.

I've been told Ryman tour is meh. The songwriter night seems great. I know it's Country Music Mecca, but any clubs tailored for rock or alternative music? Or even better punk?

Back