Freddie, your thoughts, please!

v.man

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
W.I.P.
This is in answer to your question in the Regional Rivalry thread.

"Ken, tell me about your misses".

Freddie, my predominate miss with irons is a little left of target. There are two issues in my swing, and I've always struggled with them--1. Weight shift to the left side. I tend to hang back and hit off my back leg, and 2. My swing is a little over the top. I think they are both related, and the reason I'm late with the weight shift is because I've initiated the swing with my right shoulder and arms instead of my lower body. When I wait to initiate the downswing until my lower body is engaged, I don't seem to come OTT and hit crisp, straight shots, and even pick up a little distance. I've been trying to incorporate the move you mentioned in another thread, pressing the right knee down toward the ball, but, haven't been able to get it quite right. I've had a little more success trying to sense my right hip turning a little to the left to start the downswing.

It's hard for me to focus on that one thing, because everything else in the swing then seems to be delayed and it feels like Charles Barkley's swing looks. I get all out of sync. I know there is a sequence to the golf swing, but everything happens in nano seconds and has to happen without a lot of thought. It takes a lot of work to get something new ingrained, so, I'm putting in the work. It's just not coming as fast as I like. Things were complicated in my lesson when he gave me three things to think about during the swing, one of which was a grip change to much stronger. My first words were "Dude, I'm already hitting the ball left, with a stronger grip I'll be hitting it off the golf course!" Yesterday, I tempered the stronger grip just a little, and reverted to an old swing thought that I have used in the past. Simply pause a little at the top and let the body sync up for the down swing. When I do that and feel the weight on the inside of the right knee and push off I get some nice results. That little nano second of a pause seems to help a lot.

I'll keep working on it, but, I would love your thoughts my comments above.

Thanks, and I'm really looking forward to seeing you and the guys next week at Regional Rivalry.

This is a bandaid but how about you aim right and play the left shot. My good friend George aims way right and pulls everything left with his over the top move. The right side never sines into play and he hits a ton of greens. At your age I'd work with the network you have. Try it out and let me know how it works.

This is a bandaid but how about you aim right and play the left shot. My good friend George aims way right and pulls everything left with his over the top move. The right side never sines into play and he hits a ton of greens. At your age I'd work with the network you have. Try it out and let me know how it works.

HaHa. I do that often as well. It surprising, though, how often I will hit a dead straight shot when I'm aiming right to compensate for the pull. :D

Had a pretty decent day today just concentrating on the one swing thought--that little pause at the top to allow the rest of the body to sync up with the down swing. Tempo was better, ball striking was cleaner, and I hit 13 fairways and 8 GIR. The 8 is about double what I've been averaging the past month. It's something to build on, at least.

Thanks, Freddie.

Back