Goodbye Ping 1-A...Does Tech Really Matter?

Longshanks

Long and Wrong
Reaction score
Handicap
9.4 MSGA
Okay TPHers I've been golfing since I was 6 and have only used one putter, the Ping 1-A (got it for my birthday in 1970). I've always struggled with the putter but believed its my crappy putting style, not the club itself. Friends always want me to try their new tech putters, but as a lefty golfer I don't really get a feel for new tech as I can only try new putters in right hand 99 percent of the time.

So, question: in your opinions, does a 2017 putter have real advantages on the course, or is it all hype and your putter is just your putter. Has tech changes in putters made a difference in your game?

I'd like to know before I drop 300ish buck on a new stick, (have my eye on TM Spider Platinum).

13402954940001.jpg

depends on the putter, and how repeatable your stroke is and if you get yourself lined up correctly. If you have a consistent stroke and hit the same spot on the clubface most of the time, it probably won't make that big of a difference. Might see improved roll due to face milling, but going to a high MOI putter will likely help someone whose contact varies.

Alignment is the other big thing, so really depends on your set up. To me putting is very much about confidence so if you are confident in your current putter I don't see what you would change unless you are looking for something new and shiny (nothing wrong with that at all).

I have a Ping 1-A and it's just a display piece now. I find the ball comes off fast and my distance control with it it terrible.

There is tech in putters but it is probably better to get fit for your stoke than to focus on technology. What you get with newer putters is more control over loft, weight, and other design characteristics that enable you to find the putter that lets you start the ball on your line with the correct speed

my guess is that the advantage of newer putters is 80% to the huge array of options to find the best fit for you, and 20% the actual tech (high moi, insert types, etc....)

Good gracious, you've been using the same putter for 37 years???!! LOL, I don't even know how that's possible!

sort of a bummer on the lefty thing (from a testing standpoint) My wife is a lefty, so i totally understand the frustration in wanting to test equipment and not finding it available.. good luck in your search for a putter. I'd echo cnosil above and say spend the time and $ to get fitted.... given your history in putter ownership, it'll probably be the last one you ever buy! :D

Good luck!!

Back