Wedge shafts and Hosel Depth

awtryau89

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there as something I already knew but was recently reminded of. Its really simple but some on here may need to take this into consideration. I'll speak to my preferred wedge shaft but it is applicable to all shafts and all clubs really. This is specially more interesting to me in wedges as they are the most important in the feel category to me.

I've always preferred Dynamic Gold in my wedges. I have played S200s, S300s and S400s with varying degrees of success. The important things I have found when moving between these 3 DG shafts is hosel depth. I had a set of Vokeys with S200s. They felt perfect for my swing. So I decided I wanted the same feel in my Ping wedges. I got some S200s and dropped them in. They were too soft. After I looked deeper into the reasons, I found Vokey has almost .5" deeper hosel insertion depth than my Pings. I dropped subsequently dropped the S400s in the Pings and now they feel the same as the S200s in the Vokeys. Mizuno is another club that has a deeper insertion depth. Not sure about Callaway but I do know Taylormade has a very shallow insertion depth in most of their clubs.

Ultimately just throwing this out there to consider as anyone looking to get the right shaft in wedges or any irons. Make sure if you are switching brands to consider this. The same shafts will play stiffer or softer going from brand to brand depending on hosel length and insertion depth.

Back