So who else gets freze head easily when eating ices, frozen treats, etc. OOh the pain

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I really hate this and I just got one siting here eating a frozen treat that I had to write.
I use to get the freeze head thing but for some reason I now get it in the esophagus and my entire chest and mid section gets so freaking painful.

True story....last year was in Disney with the fam and bought a frozen chocolate covered banana treat. I took a few bites cause I'm a pig. anyway I got the worst freeze ever. It was so very bad the pain in my mid section that my legs git weak and I went down. So there I am in the middle of a street (walking street) unable to move and going down to the ground. And my wife and 2 kids were viewing me from afar like I was some kind of weirdo almost as to imply "who is that guy"
Was quite funny only afterwards.

But the pain from the freeze was incredible. never experienced that badly before. My legs actually gave way from it. Normal to be that bad? I don't know. how about you all?

Never got it to the point that it's put me down. I do get it on occasion when enjoying a frozen treat, but I am always able to push my tongue to the top of my mouth and get relief.

Never got it to the point that it's put me down. I do get it on occasion when enjoying a frozen treat, but I am always able to push my tongue to the top of my mouth and get relief.

doesn't worj for the type that hits the esophagus. Its like your whole chest is frozen. Just terrible.

doesn't worj for the type that hits the esophagus. Its like your whole chest is frozen. Just terrible.
Yeah never experienced it to that point, where it hits the esophagus and into the chest. I can candidly say I've never heard of it getting to that point.

From Gizmodo:

Everyone's experienced that sharp, shooting headache as a result of stuffing their face with ice cream. Previously, scientists have suggested it's just a result of the rapid cooling and rewarming of blood vessels in the sinuses—but a new study shows that the cause is actually buried much deeper.

The research, carried out in part by Harvard Medical School, used trans-cranial Doppler imaging to study blood flow in the brains of patients while they had ice cream headaches—sometimes referred to as brain freeze—induced using iced water. They also performed the experiment with normal water as a control.

The results, which are being presented at the Experimental Biology 2012 conference, show that brain freeze is accompanied by a rapid dilation of the anterior cerebral artery, which floods the brain with blood and in turn causes pain. When the vessel constricts, patients report that the pain disappears. The researchers speculate that it's a form of self-defense for the brain:

"The brain is one of the relatively important organs in the body, and it needs to be working all the time,... It's fairly sensitive to temperature, so vasodilation might be moving warm blood inside tissue to make sure the brain stays warm."
They also explain that, because the skull is rigid, an increase in blood volume in the brain causes an increase in pressure, which is what induces the pain.

While it's neat to get a better understanding of what causes those nasty ice cream headaches, the findings could prove far more useful than that. The researchers point out that similar blood flow alterations could be behind migraines and other types of headaches. If that's the case, targeting headaches with drugs that can specifically affect dilation of blood vessels could bring a lot of relief to an awful lot of people.

And I hate when that happens.

Brain freeze is real... be careful around slurpees

I remember the George Carlin routine that went something like this: "You ever eat ice cream, and eat it so fast your forehead freezes? So you have to stop until it thaws out. Then what do you do? EAT MORE ICE CREAM! What are we, effing stupid?"

I remember the George Carlin routine that went something like this: "You ever eat ice cream, and eat it so fast your forehead freezes? So you have to stop until it thaws out. Then what do you do? EAT MORE ICE CREAM! What are we, effing stupid?"

Carlin was America's second greatest 20th century philosopher, after Yogi Berra.

Not only do I get it, but so does my boxer Buddy:

fadca1b8b021fb053d095086cff225d1.jpg

887a243ede56e6ece7e9f37767e21d23.jpg

1482da12c1ce348ae0222f3a9adbbc31.jpg

So who else gets freze head easily when eating ices, frozen treats, etc. OOh the pain

Just with a slurpee, everything else I'm fine and I probably haven't had a slurpee in at least 7 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still crying from that clip, I'm laughing so hard.

Yeah never experienced it to that point, where it hits the esophagus and into the chest. I can candidly say I've never heard of it getting to that point.

yea, you can search it up as chest or esophagus freeze (if you were interested). Wont find much useful info about it but will find plenty people telling of experiencing it. And most (similar to what I mentioned) find it very painful and much worse than brain freeze. It even makes it hard to breathe and to be honest it also is scary cause you don't know what the heck is happening in your chest. All I can say is "PAIN" and a terrible one. As said that one time was so bad my legs actually got weak and I was bent over like i was having a friggin heart attack and couldn't move. Worst part it felt like forever before subsiding.

Never with ice cream.

Every single time with Slurpees. Not a good thing when you are driving and have to pull over because of them.

Never with ice cream.

Every single time with Slurpees. Not a good thing when you are driving and have to pull over because of them.

yea never with ice cream but needs to be more icelike stuff. frozen pops that I eat instead of suck on. Or Italian ices, frozen drink, or in that one case when I thought I was dying from chest pain , a frozen chocolate covered banana from the deep freezer cart at the Disney park..lol

Back