What prompts you to buy new wedges?

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
I started considering buying some new wedges. I'm not sure why, other than I haven't bought a wedge in a while. Made me think, what motivates you to seek out a new wedge?

I started considering buying some new wedges. I'm not sure why, other than I haven't bought a wedge in a while. Made me think, what motivates you to seek out a new wedge?
When they stop spinning back on the greens is time for me to buy new ones.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I replaced my J40s after 3 years because they were completely beat. I replaced my W/S TC wedges because of a THP Event where I won some other ones. I replaced my 60 TK15 for a W/S PMP due to a better sole grind for me in that loft.

Basically for me the reasons vary.

I don't practice a ton so I can get away with new ones every other year. Will probably just buy new heads next year and re use the shafts 1 time. Letting go of one in to a lake would cause me to change that plan.

What prompts you to buy new wedges?

Grooves are worn and it's been a few years and something new really jumps out at me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reduced action around the greens will drive me nuts. I depend on some heavy check-up with my greenside shots. I may also be tempted if I swap irons, to match up my wedges.

I like new things. I buy them often

I rarely do. It usually corresponds with an iron set change and then me simply wanting the lofts to flow better.

Or I get bored with the set makeup and I decide to change them out. I have a set of Hopkins in a 55° and 60° that I swap out with an RTX3 52° paired with a PM Grind 58° every now and again depending upon how many clubs I'm bringing to the course any particular day.

I need a new 54* like yesterday, the grooves on it are so worn down. BUT... I am so comfortable with it I'm delaying replacing it. I definitely need a new one for more spin around the greens... and I need all the help I can get there.

Do any of you guys have multiple wedges that you can switch out depending on turf conditions?

Do any of you guys have multiple wedges that you can switch out depending on turf conditions?

Nope. I play standard grinds/bounces for the most part and they work for me in the mid-Atlantic, northeast, Florida and Texas

I have gotten into a rhythm of replacing my wedges every 2 years. I practice with them quite a bit and have found that every 2 years is a pretty good pattern for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I probably buy more wedges than any other club. I'm always looking in the used sections of PGASS and grabbing up deals. When I find a previous version of a wedge in great shape under $50, I usually snag it.

I have a 60/10 PM Grind and a 60/07 SM5 that I might change into if it's really firm.

Urge.

I've literally never retired a wedge due to wearing it out. Combination of giving into urge and the fact that only 20 or so rounds/year was fairly normal. Urge may have taken a couple of years to hit me back then but I'd swap long before my wedges useful life was expended.

This season I'm playing much more, just over 60 rounds already. So I'll need to pay attention as to wear because I love my MD PM wedges. Zero urge to try anything else.

For now. ?

Shiny stuff makes me happy

In the past I bought new ones just to give them a try, new and shiny is fun. Now that I've found exactly what I like I'll replace them as they get worn.

I replace them about once a year, or occasionally a little more often if I change up my irons. Hopefully that is more often than I change my driver... but that hasn't been the case the last 2 years.

Time. Every few years I like to replace them.

Usually once a year and when I change irons. I'm trying to hold out longer this time, but I haven't been impressed with the durability of my Mizuno T7 wedges. I'll expect to swap them at the one year mark.

I practice 4 times a week and 80% only on wedges I carry 5. Naturally, I'll be replacing them annually to keep up the performance. May be sooner I buy them preowned.

When the robins arrive and the flowers bloom in the spring it's time for new wedges.

I gamed the j40s and j15s for years. Nothing was even close for me in performance. Then after 5 years the RTX3 came out and I switched. Something would have to be better for me to switch.

Back