Branson June 26th through 28th unofficial THP gathering

did I read mention of doing it again in the fall?

ok

BZZZ! BZZZ!! BZZZ!!!
It was 5am on Thursday (a.k.a. TooF%#$ingEarly) and I had to be at EWR for a 7am takeoff. Thankfully, I had packed my clothes and my clubs the night before. I had only traveled with clubs once before and I shipped them to Florida so flying with them will be a new adventure. I should have taken my bag back to work to put on the scale to make sure that it was under 50lbs, but it was too late to get into the building once I actually had everything packed.

My Southwest flight wasn't full and I checked in early enough to get boarding position B1 so I grabbed a window seat and snoozed most of the way to STL. My clubs were almost first onto the conveyor belt for pickup and it was a short stroll to the rental car shuttle. The guy at Dollar tried to upsell me to some sports car, but I was awake enough to shut that down and get the Corolla that I had reserved.

I had booked a time at Stonewolf in Fairview Heights, IL (state #12!) and hopped across the river.

arch%20long%20distance_zpsqdlayhjv.jpg

stl%20bridge_zpsjfoqlq0q.jpg

stonewolf_zpsb5oymtdm.jpg

I was early for my 10:36a time so they sent me out as a single. I grabbed a cart and stopped by the putting green to roll a few balls. I noticed two pretty hot girls on the range (one was with somebody) and dawdled a bit to see if they would head towards the first tee. Unfortunately, they didn't so I rolled along. I waited on a 2some to clear the fairway and a 2some pulled up behind me as I was debating what to hit. I invited them to join me and met one of the nicest pair that I've ever been randomly paired with.

Shannon and Joe were such a treat to play with. She said that she has been playing for about six years and Joe has been giving her lessons, even though he has Parkinson's. He teed off on each hole, but didn't play past there. He said that he had played in some state tournaments in the past and placed pretty highly and I could see that from his swing. I played the blues (par 71/69.6/130/6155) and enjoyed the ups and downs and few blind shots. My ball marker clumsily disappeared on #4 and Shannon was sweet enough to give me a Cardinals marker to remember them and my trip by on the back side. I was losing balls left and right and had some of the usual issues (keep your head down on the ball), but scuffled around for a 93 with a double and triple on each side. All but one of the par 5s were reachable from the blues, but I only reached the greenside bunkers.

They invited me for lunch, but I knew that I had a 4.5 hour drive to SW Missouri, so I said goodbye and trucked off back across the river. I stopped at a little stand along the way for a brisket sandwich (which was delicious), some fries, and some Mountain Dew to keep me going for the rest of the drive. Along the way, I notice some road signs with lettered highways. I know that this was my first trip to middle 'Merica, but really?

alphabet%20highways_zpsoharxpd6.jpg

I stopped to give my leg a rest and then continued the rest of the way to the condo. I checked in on the thread and found that I had just missed Bulldog and that everybody else was at the Landing. It would have been prudent for me to figure out where everybody else was when I made that last stop, but my brain doesn't work sometimes. I was able to stop for beer on the way to the condo and I headed off to the landing. Shane asked if I knew where I was going and I said that GPS would get me there (I'm from a different time zone, you goof). I made it to the general area and then had no idea so I parked in the garage and asked directions to the cantina.

A pleasant security guard pointed me towards the restaurant and I set off in search of five people who looked like golfers. I strolled through the outdoor seating area and recognized Shane, Ron, and Kang. Time to sit and relax with them, a margarita, Bulldog, and HarveyBirdmanDan. Sitting there was almost more comfortable than being at home. I had briefly met Ron in Pittsburgh and had gathered that Shane and Kang were awesome dudes online. I hadn't really interacted much with Bulldog and Dan online, but quickly found out that they were also great guys.

Fast forward to the great condos that Ryan was able to procure for us. We brought our gear inside and kinda hemmed and hawed as to who was going to sleep where. I'm generally one of the younger guys when I go on a trip so I'm fine with a couch or the floor and I was the new guy here as well. I shared the living room with Bulldog; he took a couch and I got the Murphy bed. I had never seen one in person, but it worked just like it does on TV. We eventually moved the party to the balcony where Dan had some moonshine and the corncob pipe. We talked clubs for a while and I was just amazed to hear that Kang has tried pretty much everything that doesn't have a hickory shaft (and maybe even some of those too). I knew that he had the biggest inventory this side of Golfsmith, but it was still pretty impressive.

Fun recap so far Brian.
Really enjoyed meeting you and hope we can tee it up together next time.

Reading all this makes me smile again, was an amazing weekend

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reading all this makes me smile again, was an amazing weekend

I have right about it every day. Definitely created some lasting memories this weekend.

Me asking Brian if he knew where the landing was.......Bill engvale says here's your sign

Our tee times at Millwood were around 2:30p so none of us were looking forward to getting up early. I woke up and heard that CJ and Tyler were coming by. Stupendous..let me brush my teeth and pretend to be presentable! I had met CJ in Pittsburgh as well and he had threatened me not to take his seat on the couch when we were at the after-party in O'Carroll's room. I somewhat groggily greeted 2/3 of the MI crew (Rob decided to fly..lolz) and may have taken a shower before we drove to IHOP for pancakes, eggs, and COFFEE. And rain...we got soaked on the way out. Thankfully, we had time to go back to the condos to find dry shirts.

There were a lot more people in the parking lot at the club when we pulled in. I went around and introduced myself (I'm Brian, brianmk24, with the Beaker avatar) and we eventually made our way inside for lunch. It was nice mingling for a while with everybody, including Brian, Trey, and Frank. It's inevitable that somebody asks me if I'm married when I meet new golfers and I say no and I hear "Smart man."

After waiting for and scarfing down a pretty good hot Italian sandwich, I hustled outside and then ran back inside to check in at the pro shop. I asked if the course was walkable since I was scheduled for the first threesome to go off. The guy said yes so I carried my bag to the first tee. Shane looked at me like I was crazy and I hopped on a cart with Rick since we rearranged the groupings. We went off with Jim and DaddioDan. Rick hit his drive into the pile of range balls at the bottom of the hill, although we found his and I didn't find mine that I hit down the right side of the fairway/creek (a common theme for me). I dropped, hit my third between the bunkers by the green, and got up and down for bogey.

It kind of went downhill from there and I'm never happy with 100, but I had a really good time with my group. We played cart better ball on the back for a beer. I pounded two drives on #10 into somebody's yard and then into the fescue, but I think I helped a little bit after that, even though I turned a great drive on #12 into a 6. I told Shane after the round that my next book was going to be titled "How to Turn a Great Drive into Six."

millwood%20card_zpskqpwe6d4.jpg

I left my clubs at the bag drop since I rode with Bulldog all weekend and went to the gathering area downstairs and had a beer while we checked out the Senior US Open coverage. Eventually, it started to rain so I grabbed the keys to the car and dashed outside to throw my bag in the back of the car. I knew I was out of shape, but that just confirmed it as I huffed and puffed once I got back inside! Shane set up a great spread of wings and nachos with a couple TVs with golf and Women's World Cup action. There was a game room to the side, but I don't think anybody went over there. I wanted to go throw some darts, but didn't want to ditch out on the camaraderie and didn't feel like interviewing for darts partners either.

I paid off my greenie bet (Dan, you should send me your address and I'll send you a $1 with a much better signature) and we all headed back to the condos around 9:15. More hilarity and nonsense ensued and a not-so-early bedtime, even with 7am tee times looming in our future...

Me asking Brian if he knew where the landing was.......Bill engvale says here's your sign

I didn't have anything handy to write down directions if you were going to try to give them to me so I figured GPS would get me close enough. I'm letting you off the hook for the fact that I'm from a different time zone. :act-up:

Last edited:
Oh crap, it's early on Saturday morning...

I had carried my bag upstairs to the condo Friday night so that I could dry off whatever I could after it got a little damp at the bag drop so I tossed a couple beers in the pocket before we left. We stopped at a gas station/convenience store on the way to Ledgestone and I got coffee and a 24oz Coors Light and got props from Taylor for starting early. I always carry a flask and I wasn't planning on getting after it early, but you have to be prepared!

Ledgestone presented a few picture opportunities:

Waterfall by the putting green with 18 green to the right
ledgestone%20practice%20green_zps4nny0kji.jpg

Taking a picture of Mike G taking a picture (with Eddie and Chris and my bag with Scooby Doo in the background)

mike%20g%20taking%20pictures_zpshkwsdhfi.jpg

After a little time at the range and messing around in the practice bunker, Ron and I headed up to the first tee to watch/heckle people going off. Cace, you were off first and I think you left before I got done. Hope you played well and I'll see you next time!

I left my drive on #1 out to the right and was on the severe hill and tried to get it out of the thick stuff without tumbling backwards onto my head. Thankfully, Ron, Alex, and Darin didn't laugh at me as I took a triple on the first. Not the way to start! I trundled around the front in 45 after that and didn't fall in the water on #6.

ledgestone%205_zpsm1jjd1il.jpg

#7 (who put that tree there?)

ledgestone%207_zpskyotmcfn.jpg

I have horrible distance judgement and almost asked how far the tree and the bunker were and then realized that it was pretty far and I was just going to sound like a Richard so I kept my mouth shut and just hit the ball. Here's Ron bombing it (out to the right):

ron%20ledgestone%207_zpspytryqi3.jpg

I loved this course and was doing fine (bogeys on the par 4s and a double on #13) until we pulled up on #15 tee

ledgestone%2015_zpscba1zfhm.jpg

We have a hole like this in north Jersey (Crystal Springs #11) which is built off a 100ft drop into a quarry and it's a two club difference. I'm loath to express playing opinions on a golf course when I'm not playing expertly, but I knew I had this. I left it just off the green to the left and had to chip over a bowl on the green. Two putt bogey for four and off to #16. Of course I par the hardest hole on the course. Drive, leave my approach short, and then a creative up and down for par.

Then there's #17. 210ish par 3 with all carry over the water. Did I mention that the breeze (read: wind) was in our face? I was stubborn and hit 3h when I should have switched to 3W. I planned on leaving it out to the right, chipping up, and two-putting for bogey.

And the best-laid plans never get you laid. I honked the tee shot into the trees on the tee box before the water so I had to re-tee. My third was in the water. My fifth from the drop zone was also in the water (I apparently forgot how to make a proper golf swing and now my heart was just racing because I'm an idiot). My seventh (7th!?!?) rolled out and stayed on the green by about six inches. Hey, guess what..it was still my turn! 3-putt for 10..I won that hole and shook my head. My tee shot on #18 was all out of sorts, but I doubled the last for 97. Ron saved double from the putting green (I'm impressed) and we headed in for some lunch. Ron and I passed a short blonde on the way in and debated whether she was legal. We came to the conclusion that she was and Shane confirmed it when she walked by again. I enjoyed CJ talking up Steve the waitress as Ron got our sandwiches to go since we had 18 more godblessedforsakenholestogo in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Oh crap, it's early on Saturday morning...

I had carried my bag upstairs to the condo Friday night so that I could dry off whatever I could after it got a little damp at the bag drop so I tossed a couple beers in the pocket before we left. We stopped at a gas station/convenience store on the way to Ledgestone and I got coffee and a 24oz Coors Light and got props from Taylor for starting early. I always carry a flask and I wasn't planning on getting after it early, but you have to be prepared!

Ledgestone presented a few picture opportunities:

Waterfall by the putting green with 18 green to the right
ledgestone%20practice%20green_zps4nny0kji.jpg

Taking a picture of Mike G taking a picture (with Eddie and Chris and my bag with Scooby Doo in the background)

mike%20g%20taking%20pictures_zpshkwsdhfi.jpg

After a little time at the range and messing around in the practice bunker, Ron and I headed up to the first tee to watch/heckle people going off. Cace, you were off first and I think you left before I got done. Hope you played well and I'll see you next time!

I left my drive on #1 out to the right and was on the severe hill and tried to get it out of the thick stuff without tumbling backwards onto my head. Thankfully, Ron, Alex, and Darin didn't laugh at me as I took a triple on the first. Not the way to start! I trundled around the front in 45 after that and didn't fall in the water on #6.

ledgestone%205_zpsm1jjd1il.jpg

#7 (who put that tree there?)

ledgestone%207_zpskyotmcfn.jpg

I have horrible distance judgement and almost asked how far the tree and the bunker were and then realized that it was pretty far and I was just going to sound like a Richard so I kept my mouth shut and just hit the ball. Here's Ron bombing it (out to the right):

ron%20ledgestone%207_zpspytryqi3.jpg

I loved this course and was doing fine (bogeys on the par 4s and a double on #13) until we pulled up on #15 tee

ledgestone%2015_zpscba1zfhm.jpg

We have a hole like this in north Jersey (Crystal Springs #11) which is built off a 100ft drop into a quarry and it's a two club difference. I'm loath to express playing opinions on a golf course when I'm not playing expertly, but I knew I had this. I left it just off the green to the left and had to chip over a bowl on the green. Two putt bogey for four and off to #16. Of course I par the hardest hole on the course. Drive, leave my approach short, and then a creative up and down for par.

Then there's #17. 210ish par 3 with all carry over the water. Did I mention that the breeze (read: wind) was in our face? I was stubborn and hit 3h when I should have switched to 3W. I planned on leaving it out to the right, chipping up, and two-putting for bogey.

And the best-laid plans never get you laid. I honked the tee shot into the trees on the tee box before the water so I had to re-tee. My third was in the water. My fifth from the drop zone was also in the water (I apparently forgot how to make a proper golf swing and now my heart was just racing because I'm an idiot). My seventh (7th!?!?) rolled out and stayed on the green by about six inches. Hey, guess what..it was still my turn! 3-putt for 10..I won that hole and shook my head. My tee shot on #18 was all out of sorts, but I doubled the last for 97. Ron saved double from the putting green (I'm impressed) and we headed in for some lunch. Ron and I passed a short blonde on the way in and debated whether she was legal. We came to the conclusion that she was and Shane confirmed it when she walked by again. I enjoyed CJ talking up Steve the waitress as Ron got our sandwiches to go since we had 18 more godblessedforsakenholestogo in the afternoon.

Legal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog took a bit of a scenic route on the way to Buffalo Ridge (it was just to give the Yankee a tour of the area!) and we pulled into the lot after the entrance. I got to the range and practically inhaled the wrap that I ordered at Ledgestone (I eat slowly so it was like somebody else ate normally). I watched a few people hit balls (Taylor was facing the wrong way and hitting lefthanded, but if that's what he wants to do, I wasn't going to change it). I met up with Chris at the short game area where he showed me that above the hole was no place to be. We headed to the putting green to roll a few and got comfortable before going to the first tee to join the festivities.

Where's my phone? No, seriously..where's my phone? Ffffuuuuuuuuu.......I checked every pocket in my bag a few times and jogged back to the clubhouse. Nothing...down to the range. Nothing...back up to the starter/marshals. Nothing..back into the clubhouse where at least the girl behind the counter is cute. Nothing until one of the other guys walked in holding my phone. I thanked him profusely and sprinted back to the first tee to find buffalo on the left and Neb(?) and Kang on the tee.

buffalo_zpssceurhmy.jpg

neb%20buffalo%20ridge%201_zpsil1cazyd.jpg

kang%20buffalo%20ridge%201_zpsil9pnb8u.jpg

Our turn!

Phil, Chris, CJ, and I teed off. The wind was blowing left to right and in our face so we pretty much made a straight line across the hole.

cj%20chris%20phil%20buffalo%20ridge%201_zpst7uckv0q.jpg

Phil thought that he had the advantage of the high ground, but that didn't work out at all. We made it through the first and found a nice waterfall on the way to #2.

buffalo%20ridge%20waterfall_zpszhumtf7k.jpg

The cart path only rule started my demise on #2. I blocked my drive right into the tall grass and ended up with 7 after chatting with the cart girl for a bit. #Tradeoff

#4 (scenic view from the tee, not to the green..that was out of frame on the right)
buffalo%20ridge%204_zpsmpadtfj3.jpg

buffalo%20ridge%205_zpsnnjujjja.jpg

buffalo%20ridge%208_zpsfomdrr7o.jpg

HarveyBirdmanDan gave me crap for waiting on my second shot on #8. I admitted that I wasn't going to make the uphill green, but I didn't want to be rude and get too close (#InternetGolfer) since I knew that we'd be waiting on the next tee anyway. I was short, but almost pitched in and made the birdie putt so

1342761537_dx-suck-it-vip-blog-com-554147589119392_small.jpg

I fell apart on the back when cart path only golf caught up to me. I hit my drive on #12 through the fairway and OB and then shanked my approach OB (CJ told me that it hadn't rolled as far as I thought, but I was trying to keep up at that point and deserved the penalty anyway). CPO really got me on #14 when I bombed it into the hazard off the tee and then dumped into the hazard near the green (another quad FTW).

#15 Tee
buffalo%20ridge%2015_zpsptfglkfv.jpg

I hit my tee ball by the tree near the waterfall and even though everyone said we could play that as a lateral hazard, it didn't really cross much land so I just teed another up and banged it out to the middle of the fairway. The guys said that JB would get on me for pace of play, but I know that I'd have to hit another one in the tourneys at my club. I'd have dropped if my third was in the water.

We Periscoped the tee shots on #16 and I got away with a kick-in par. Two tired shanks off #17 tee led to some tight feelings on #18 tee. Phil and I hit it out there and my second didn't go too far. My third ended up on the back of the green and I should have two-putted, but I wimped out on the second putt. We hooked up with the group behind us on the way to the clubhouse and found out that there was pizza on the way to the condos. Yummm.....

Last edited:
There was talk of burgers and dogs on the grill on Saturday night, but pizza in the adjoining condo worked out just as well. I grabbed my box and parked it next to Taylor and Tyler at the bar and claimed a Shiner Bock since I had never had it before. The exhaustion really started to hit me and I think I only had one other drink during the night. Some Fireball 2015 shirts came out and we witnessed CJ stretching into a smedium. Somebody tossed me a large and I hustled off to shower because I felt gross after a day out in the sun.

Frank said that he was glad that I came back and I flopped onto the cooler behind the couch and the corner of the floor for a while before ending up in the kitchen with Frank and Rob for a bit. I was trying to hydrate while talking to them and also paying attention to a friend of mine who kept texting me (she was the same one who kept me busy for a while at the Pittsburgh after-party).

Most of us seemed to be pretty wiped out and headed to bed at a reasonable hour for a change. Sunday morning would arrive soon enough...

I was halfway happy that we only had one more round to go after our CPO tribulations on Saturday afternoon, but upset that there was only one more round to go. I wanted to be able to play with everybody! We cleaned up around the condo and headed out to Payne Stewart/Branson Hills. I drove since I was heading back to STL after the round and was fourth in the convoy.

foggy%20caravan%201_zpskku2ecmh.jpg

foggy%20caravan%202_zpsez4dxq7u.jpg

foggy%20caravan%203_zpsrsy7otb7.jpg

There was a suspect U-turn at a gas station (you really have to try harder than that to ditch the guy from Jersey..we drive like complete idiots most of the time around these parts) and then we made it to the course. I was physically okay after having some coffee, but was still mentally out of it (moreso than usual). I rode around with Taylor and we hit the range for a few minutes before we were on the first tee. I knew that I was leaving right after we finished so I tried to say goodbye to everyone at the range (apologies if I didn't).

#1 tee
payne%20stewart%201_zpsw1a8u5rl.jpg

I hung my drive way out right and claimed a breakfast ball. My second first drive was in the right rough. I took 3h and smushed it just left of the green. Up and down for par. I've started a round off like a toll-free telephone number before (8-7-7), but never made it far enough to make a poker hand (4-5-6-7-8 straight). I kinda checked out there after that mess and things started to pick up. I was in the middle of #9 fairway where we saw the hole tucked way left with a drop off into a hazard. I went for it because..what was the worst that could happen?

payne%20stewart%209_zps3vrh6ly6.jpg

(ball mark to the right of the frame..2-putt par and 50 going out)

Somehow I managed to top that and eke out a 51 on the back while almost driving the ball downhill on #13 into the bunker that we all didn't think that I would reach. I birdied #14 after dumping my tee shot short and left. 3h to 92 yards and then 50* to 6 feet. Taylor said "Wow, that was awesome that it one-hopped and stopped like that"..yes, I meant to do that (although I can't blame you for thinking that after having to watch me scuffle around the course all morning)! :clap:

We made it to 18..and what the $#!&, Archer!

archer.png

payne%20stewart%2018_zpstydzxqdz.jpg

I grab my phone and take a couple pics of Rick and Taylor.

rick%20drive%201_zps3bskecbp.jpg

rick%20drive%202_zpsjdrba1sh.jpg

rick%20drive%203_zpszmr0k5hg.jpg

taylor%20drive%201_zpsscb0jpzz.jpg

taylor%20drive%202_zpsqhp0zrdc.jpg

taylor%20drive%203_zps5sjpiqba.jpg

And then Taylor got a bunch of me on the tee box (feel free to heckle).

brian%20drive%201_zpsmqh6jyro.jpg

brian%20drive%202_zpse9mvxsnc.jpg

brian%20drive%203_zps6xwuq9ur.jpg

brian%20drive%204_zpsji8lmc7q.jpg

I couldn't even see the flag on my second shot so I bonked it fat and hit my third up short of the green. Up and down from there for bogey for 101 and an end to the best golf trip that I have ever had. It was nice to have a second round with Rick and to play with Taylor (I'd like to do it again when we aren't both gassed..and he played multiple softball games that night after he got home..crazy kids!).

I went back to the pro shop and got a hat and asked nicely if I could shower in the member's locker room. That was no big deal and Brian and Trey joined me (in the locker room, not in the shower) before I repacked my travel bag in the parking lot and headed on the road to STL. I stopped numerous times on the road for food and to stay awake since there was more traffic on Sunday than on Thursday afternoon.

My 6:10 flight was delayed until 6:40, but we made it out of STL before the tornado showed up and we arrived at EWR on another not-so-full flight. I got to my apartment around 11:30 after a slight detour out of the parking lot and through some neighborhood. I was wide awake after sleeping on the plane and didn't fall asleep until 2:30a. Obviously, I was ambitious and scheduled a 9am therapy session, but that didn't happen. I showed up around 9:45 instead and took a nap once I got home after that. I drove to my former boss's house and checked on their cat and took another nap once I got home again and made it to work on time on Tuesday for a nice two day work week. :D

I'm glad that I took off on Monday and only had to work two days this week or else I would have been even more of a useless wreck than I already was. Thanks to Shane and Ryan for coordinating everything (courses, condos, food, wrong turns). This trip wouldn't have happened without your hard work and everyone of us appreciates every phone call, text, and email. Thanks to my cartmates and playing partners for putting up with my game, whether it showed up and disappeared or just stayed in the condo that day. Thanks to Bulldog for driving throughout the weekend. Thanks to everybody else that was able to make it for any and all part of the weekend. It really is true that it's the more, the merrier. I hope that I got to meet everyone for at least a little while, but I'd definitely like to spend more time and play with the DFW/TX crew at some point (Eddie, MikeG, Cookie, Trey, Brian).

I was thinking about you crazy fools today as I was playing so you can all take a little piece of that 76!

Great recaps beaker Brian. Was great meeting you, but I'd love to get a round in together next time. I loved your sentiments on 18 at Payne Stewart. That hole isn't cool at all!

Great recaps beaker Brian. Was great meeting you, but I'd love to get a round in together next time. I loved your sentiments on 18 at Payne Stewart. That hole isn't cool at all!

I liked that hole... Routine par...

It looked like it...

Playing it again might not be so bad, but I'm not a big fan of blind approach shots. Or huge uphill shots.

I think I made par also...

Tee shot left me 167 out, 6 iron just over the bunker and onto the green, leaving a LONG putt to the back right hole location.
Tyler gave me the par after lagging to 2.5 feet.

We are staying at ledgestone this weekend and guess what, I got us lost coming down.

Back