Faiz

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys!

Who else keeps and monitors their statistics?
I recently started doing this on a spreadsheet I made, I know you can do it with apps but internet here is so slow and expensive that it proves difficult to do whilst on the course.

I find that keep ing statistics is genuinely quite surprising!
Holes that you know are easy actually prove to be your stumbling block whilst those that are tough you maybe concentrate more and score well on them.

Here are my stats;

Statistics_zpsldy4i5vu.jpg

You can see some of the figures are pretty dismal.
I've set up the spreadsheet to score against tour averages so that if theyre worse then theyre red and better is green.

I can really see some holes which I need tofocus on and maybe change my strategy.

Anyone else benefit from doing this?

Maybe I missed it, but how many rounds do you have recorded so far?

Also, based on your HCP, I find your Par 3 GIRs to be surprising. I assumed you would be upwards of 60%. Now if they are all 200+ yards, that would make more sense.

Were you surprised to find out you missed that many greens on the Par 3s?

I think it is really cool that you would keep those records. But I am just too lazy. It looks like work! lol

I've just started to keep these stats: FIR, GIR, putts. Just writing them on the scorecard as I go, I have not set up a database like this for analysis. More for just empirical data, I suppose.

I do have a friend who's an OCD math-head who charts everything on databases, and I know he did this for years.

I try to. I have about 50 score cards I need to sit down and input but alas the pile gets larger.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes I was very surprised to see the par 3 results! They've really affected my scoring. So I've focused a lot on how to improve this.
Sometimes playing safe for the middle of the green is much more productive than attacking the pin and making bogey.
One thing it's really helped me with is recognizing my scoring holes and the holes I need to play safe on.
Of course it's easier said than done though.
So far it's 7 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone wants me to send them the spreadsheet please pm me your email address.
It's really simple to use.

Apart from the obvious money involved, why not use GameGolf or Arccos? It keeps your stats for you and does much more in the process. You don't need internet on the course either, just GPS. You do need internet at home though, but seeing you post here makes me believe that base is covered. :)

Have tried keeping stats a couple of times and think they are good for showing weak parts of your game. Both times I've done it I found if GIR is good generally the scores are. GIR is the weakest part of my game so I'm always scrambling, think because short distance off the tee. Decided since I know my weakness just try to avoid three putts and penalties and play, don't think the stats help much now that I know the problem.

I was cleaning out a box of miscellaneous office stuff from our move and came across a notebook with stats that my golf coach wanted me to practice. It was designed for figuring out the weaknesses in your game and working on those areas. He used tour stats as a goal for averages/percentages.

Approach/Short Game Goals

Beginning Point/Finishing Distance

From the fringe - 2'
Less than 10 yards - 3'
10-20 yards - 5'
20-30 yards - 7'
30-50 yards - 8'
50-75 yards - 10'
75-100 yards - 11'

Greenside bunker - 6'

Putting/Made

3-5' 94%
5-10' 63%
10-15' 37%
15-20' 30%
20-25' 21%

There is more in my notebook but practicing this way was helpful for the short time I did it. Too many injuries sidelined me for a while and I never got really serious about it again.

I use US Handicap to keep general stats. I don't keep a HDCP anymore but I like the data that I get from entering my stats after each round.

No wonder play gets slower and slower !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If done while others are hitting there shots and in between holes it adds zero time to your round.

Apart from the obvious money involved, why not use GameGolf or Arccos? It keeps your stats for you and does much more in the process. You don't need internet on the course either, just GPS. You do need internet at home though, but seeing you post here makes me believe that base is covered. :)

+1

I just got GameGolf and only have one round but the stats, filtering and visuals are illuminating. Got to get better at tapping in my (feeble) pre-shot routine. Am certainly looking forward to getting some more rounds into it.

Doesn't add any time to my round. I can recall every score and every ball position from an 18 hole round without even recording it.

Golfpad keeps pretty much all those as well. You can do it free or for nominal charge get the Par 3, 4, and 5 stats for scoring...but since you can scroll through the round anyway, the only reason to get premium is to extend monetary gratitude for the awesome app. I can screenshot my distances, GIR, FIR, percentages for par, birdie, bogey etc. Fantastic app might be helpful for those who prefer a more electronic monitoring of stats

With Arccos you don't need an internet connection at home. Everything can be done on the phone and you never have to get on a computer unless you want to view some great charts for more detailed stats. The only time we have a computer at home is if myself or my wife bring our laptops home from work. That is one of many things I like about Arccos.

Last edited:
Too many injuries for me. I'm probably not keeping stats anymore other than track of score. I'll be lucky to play.

Back