2015 THP Invitational at Prairie Highlands - Kansas City Area

They have a big metal pit behind the counter where they smoke the meat.

Since you have such a strong opinion of the place, I presumed you would remember that.

If the sauce wasn't so vinegary (new word) I think I would like it. No doubt their meat is extremely good.

All this BBQ talk has me excited for what used to be OK joes next Saturday. No idea what the menu is, but they don't have a bad thing on their menu and JB seems to have some great taste when it comes to picking a menu. Dangot, now I'm hungry!

I have been to a lot of BBQ places and never had any KC BBQ cooked on gas grills. Always wood smoked.

OK now I am going t have to smoke something this weekend with all this BBQ talk:D.

Looking forward to the golf with THP'ers more though!!

Yea, my 4th of July menu just got a little bit bigger I'm afraid.

I have been to a lot of BBQ places and never had any KC BBQ cooked on gas grills. Always wood smoked.

Must be just the sugar that is used more so than area areas I guess.

Must be just the sugar that is used more so than area areas I guess.

To me KC is much more Smokehouse than many places. Their sauce is sweeter, although I find it smililar to a lot of places nowadays. Vinegar would be closer to Carolina style. KC for years has been the slow and low capital of the world. The lower the temp and longer the cooking the better in the KC world. The sauce is a tomato based that is sweet (from mollases & brown sugar to a lesser extent), compared to the lighter vinegar sauces found elsewhere.

KC is the bridge between Memphis and Texas (and the best of both worlds to many). Texas is beef, Memphis is pork and KC is both.

Josh explained it 100X better than I could have haha.

Low and slow. Great pulled pork, great brisket, amazing burnt ends.

Josh explained it 100X better than I could have haha.

Low and slow. Great pulled pork, great brisket, amazing burnt ends.

One thing that is unique, that you touched on is that Arthur Bryants, is not really KC BBQ. Not in a traditional sense anyway. Its closer to Carolina in terms of sauce than anything else.

One thing that is unique, that you touched on is that Arthur Bryants, is not really KC BBQ. Not in a traditional sense anyway. Its closer to Carolina in terms of sauce than anything else.
I never care for AB bbq and always found it overrated.

What is all this sauce talk? Good smoked meat does not need sauce

In-A-Tub...said my peace?

The lies are more clean, more propped up with less grass between ball and club so I would imagine you will spin it more as well

I might spin it off the green at that rate :)

Guess you will find out Saturday. The greens won't be near as receptive as those you played on in Branson

Guess you will find out Saturday. The greens won't be near as receptive as those you played on in Branson

Maybe they will spin some but not as much as Branson. Those greens were very soft.

D&B, Golf, Joes BBQ & THPers. One Week!

Lets keep this going with Hole #2

Hol01-02.jpg

Usually plays into a favorable wind. It is about 375 from the blue tees where I imagine we will be playing. The fairway is pretty wide, but don't let that lull you into a sense of confidence because a miss right and you find some nasty tall fescue and your ball is going to be difficult to find, and if found even more difficult to hit out of. Favor the left side as there is much more room to miss along the cart path, but too far left and again in fescue. Hit an approach to the correct tier and have a pretty straight forward putt. Don't miss your approach shot left near that bunker as that is also surrounded by nasty fescue where you will be lucky to get your ball out and into the bunker there.

Lets keep this going with Hole #2

Hol01-02.jpg

Usually plays into a favorable wind. It is about 375 from the blue tees where I imagine we will be playing. The fairway is pretty wide, but don't let that lull you into a sense of confidence because a miss right and you find some nasty tall fescue and your ball is going to be difficult to find, and if found even more difficult to hit out of. Favor the left side as there is much more room to miss along the cart path, but too far left and again in fescue. Hit an approach to the correct tier and have a pretty straight forward putt. Don't miss your approach shot left near that bunker as that is also surrounded by nasty fescue where you will be lucky to get your ball out and into the bunker there.

What's the bunker carry on the right?

What's the bunker carry on the right?

I couldn't tell you for certain, but carryable even for a decent hitter of the ball provided wind isn't howling in your face. Off of that with a draw for a righty would be perfect.

Back