When should you replace your irons?

DawgPownd

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been wrestling with the idea of replacing my irons. I hit nearly 20 year old Titleist DCIs that I bought in 1997 while i was in high school. I love the clubs, but wonder if the technology in irons have really improved that much over the past 20 years. I know it has in woods and drivers, but I am not completely sold there has been the same kind of improvement made in irons. But, that is why I am asking. I haven't hit that many new irons and I know many of you have.

A little about me. I love to play but only get to about twice a year or so. I recently completed my MBA, so in theory, I should now have more time to play. In high school and college, I was about a 7 or 8 handicapper. Putting has always been my nemesis. Not iron play. Today, I usually shoot in the mid 80's.

Also, when I do play, it is usually with rather affluent individuals in the Dallas area and I wonder what they think about me swinging 20 year old clubs. Or, if they even realize it or care.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If it's peer pressure that is driving you to switch clubs, that's a battle that will never end. Plus, if you are beating those guys using your equipment, you'll just be proving it's the Indian, not the arrow. If you were able to game a single digit HC with them then, it's still possible. Save your iron money and spend it on more rounds/year!

If it's about your game, go do some comparison of your irons vs new at a demo day. I played the 981 irons myself and was falling into the same "trap", figuring technology would make a big difference. If I hadn't won the irons I'm playing, I would still be playing my Titleists. I haven't gotten rid of them, they are just too good.

I don't replace my irons until I find a set that performs better for me.

If you don't think new irons will help your game, don't bother. If you do, then you have come to the right place.

Play what makes you happy and is within your budget. It's that simple

If it's peer pressure that is driving you to switch clubs, that's a battle that will never end. Plus, if you are beating those guys using your equipment, you'll just be proving it's the Indian, not the arrow. If you were able to game a single digit HC with them then, it's still possible. Save your iron money and spend it on more rounds/year!

If it's about your game, go do some comparison of your irons vs new at a demo day. I played the 981 irons myself and was falling into the same "trap", figuring technology would make a big difference. If I hadn't won the irons I'm playing, I would still be playing my Titleists. I haven't gotten rid of them, they are just too good.

Could not agree more.

Play what makes you happy and is within your budget. It's that simple

^^^this is my thought. in my experience most people don't care what others are playing.

If you are happy with your irons keep them! Golf should never be about what others think.

Go have some fun! Hit some new ones and see what you find.

The rich guys at the club almost certainly don't care what you hit as long as you are good company and buy your round. If they do - change partners.:blob:

I have the 2008 titleist ap1 irons and my buddies keep telling me its time for a new set but im too comfortable with them. i have the distances dialed in pretty well. A new set may give me more distance but i also noticed a lot of those lofts are just lower. I have friends who buy new sets every year and honestly i rarely notice unless they comment on it. Only club i ever notice are peoples drivers. On that note, i do plan on buying a new set but more as a gift to myself once theres a set that is worth drooling over.

Replace them when they a worn out or when you are worn out playing/looking at them.

Great comments everyone and I appreciate the input.

I think the main question I should have asked is if you all think a good set of irons today are head and shoulders better than a good set from the late 90s?

I think the main question I should have asked is if you all think a good set of irons today are head and shoulders better than a good set from the late 90s?

my answer would be "yes" in pretty much every aspect possible. there's nothing I can think of that would be from "yesteryear's" irons that is better than and cannot be found in today's equipment. and don't listen to anyone who saws lofts are jacked up and that's a problem; a 7i still launches like a 7i, only modern tech helps it go farther. and that's bad because...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiny...

I switched out some mid-90s Cobras last year and got fitted with some Mizuno JPX-850 forged. Moved the old irons to a second bag I keep at another location. Just replaced them in the second bag with more Mizunos. They are head and shoulders better.

Are the irons you have now fitted to you? I ask because I recently switched from a set of 6 year old burner 2.0 irons which I loved.

I "Bit the bullet" and was custom fitted into my Callaway Apex irons and hit them much more consistently than my old irons if anything. Also they are far more forgiving which has helped me shoot better scores for sure.

When you know your wife will be out of town when the shipment arrives on your doorstep.

I had not 1, but 2 sets of used irons arrive on my door over the last 2 days (after buying my first set of irons this past November).
Daddy in the doghouse.
And no, I don't know why I bought 2 sets of irons.

I recently went from an old set of Ping i3 O-size irons to a fitted set of Srixon Z545 irons and even though I am still adjusting to them I am already shooting the scores I was shooting with my old irons (which were not fitted)

I would say that the technology in the newer irons will make a difference to what you are seeing - I have said it before, but I don't think you would possibly see the same gains if you were coming from irons that were maybe a year or two old, but from irons as old as yours I think you would see gains. Obviously the lofts are completely different these days, but I saw a gain of 20 yards over my old clubs which means I am now using a much shorter iron into the green and this can only be a benefit in my eyes

At the end of the day, go hit some new irons and compare them to your current ones and make a decision based on what you see/want and ignore what other people think

Good advice

I don't hit enough shots with irons for it to matter too much. Spend time finding comfortable wedges and your score will improve.

I don't hit enough shots with irons for it to matter too much. Spend time finding comfortable wedges and your score will improve.

Most of your second shots are done with wedges?

(1) When they are damage or they look very old and tired , I will change them.

(2) I haven't change with newer iron set yet because I already have identical back up set. I have OCD habits to find the right one : once I find the right one, I usually aim for another one or two .

Back