Trying To Break 90 Club

If Tiger can find his swing again. So can we. I guess we have to find a Dufner-esque slump buster too.
I need to find something quick :)

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

After 2 back to back rounds in the 80's my next two went backwards. 92 at a course I played for the first time (not bad) but shot an even 100 yesterday. Played the blues which was 6100yds but it's a tight unforgiving course.

The Positives:
1) Only lost 2 balls the entire round.
2) I got out of the sand in 1.
3) I was getting on in a decent number of strokes, if not in regulation it was usually one stroke more.
4) I had a chip in from about 20'. The ball checked nicely, released and trickled in.

The killers:
1) 2 triples and 1 quad. Inexcusable, just didn't execute.
2) Putting. I couldn't adjust to the speed (again) and the greens got way faster the later into the day it got. Everything ran by a good 4-5ft, very few tap in's. So many 3 putts which littered my card with doubles and other big numbers. Pars and bogeys were hard to come by.

I'm upset, I need to fix my putting ASAP.

Shot another 84 today...a few mistakes and it prevented me from breaking 80

I finally broke 90!

Played 4 times while on holiday this week, and shot 91, 90, 90 and 88, all on tricky courses! As my personal best was 91, it's safe to say my game was doing pretty well for my standard this week. On my last round I was playing a new course (par 71), on my own. Was in a good state of mind, and the course was just beautiful.

The first 9 holes were just awful. While I had some good shots, I missed a lot of fairways, incurred some penalties because of non-floating balls, and even sliced an iron out of bounds... So I finished the front 9 in 48 shots. A bit disappointed in my game, I ate a sandwich at the clubhouse and continued towards the last 9 holes. I don't know what was in that sandwich, but man, I've never played better! Didn't hit as much fairways as I should have hit, but the misses were playable, short game was off the charts, and the putts were just solid. I ended up shooting a 40 (5 pars, 4 bogeys), and there still was some room for improvement.

So the total number of strokes was 88 (48-40, +17). I'm really hoping I can keep this up now I'm back home.

Congrats Mash!!!

I was flirting with breaking 90 this year ... 94/94/91 ... then today a setback of 99 ... go figure. I am getting close, and feel better about the swing this year than previous years.

After 2 back to back rounds in the 80's my next two went backwards. 92 at a course I played for the first time (not bad) but shot an even 100 yesterday. Played the blues which was 6100yds but it's a tight unforgiving course.

The Positives:
1) Only lost 2 balls the entire round.
2) I got out of the sand in 1.
3) I was getting on in a decent number of strokes, if not in regulation it was usually one stroke more.
4) I had a chip in from about 20'. The ball checked nicely, released and trickled in.

The killers:
1) 2 triples and 1 quad. Inexcusable, just didn't execute.
2) Putting. I couldn't adjust to the speed (again) and the greens got way faster the later into the day it got. Everything ran by a good 4-5ft, very few tap in's. So many 3 putts which littered my card with doubles and other big numbers. Pars and bogeys were hard to come by.

I'm upset, I need to fix my putting ASAP.
Nice sand save and chip in, Bog33y! Your front nine (and really through 13) in that 92 round was very impressive. Keep at it and you'll be back in the 80's for sure.

Trying To Break 90 Club

Had a setback... 53/52 - 105. I made a few adjustments with my coach this week that had some positive results (hitting the driver 250-260 instead of 220, hitting all my irons 10-15 yards further) but I didn't spend the time on the range this week dialing in distances and it bit me out on the course. My chipping and pitching were also poor. Back to the range!

45/41 for an 86. 5 pars on the back 9.. 3 bogeys and a double.

Front 9 was a little ugly.. One birdie, two pars and 5 doubles.

Overall very pleased today. Had 3 putts lip out on the back 9. And the double should've been a par. Going to try to get out again in the morning.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice sand save and chip in, Bog33y! Your front nine (and really through 13) in that 92 round was very impressive. Keep at it and you'll be back in the 80's for sure.

Thanks Ron! I had a bounce back round today, shot a 91 with 2 botched gimmies so there's my 80's right there. My friends don't give them and I should have drained them, but all in all a solid round for sure. +12 on the front and +7 including a +4 on my only blow up hole.

I try to take something away from each round to learn from.

1) Take nothing for granted. Those gimmies I missed I didn't execute. Pulled one and pushed the other.

2) 38 putts total with 6 3 putts. Need to shave those down too.

3) Ball matters. I got a bunch of B-Stone 330's... Mostly RX's and a few RX-S's. Both check nicely on pitches and greenside chips. The biggest difference for me is on approaches with anything 8i and below. On those approach shots the RX's land nicely but I can't suck them back like RX-S's. I like knowing I can suck it back and be more aggressive when need be.

Ended this weekend in a positive note, hope to keep this up!!

Had a decent front nine of 45, but the back did me in with a 52 for a 97. Ball contact was decent, had one ball out of bounds from a messed up fairway shot and one penalty from the tee box. Tried out a new sand wedge today and really liked it but picked two sand shots "to clean" and flew them over the green. I also mis hit four shots were I got under the ball on approach shots and left them way short. Between those missed shots and penalties I would have broke 90. Putting was decent with a 35, but I did miss three, that I can remember off the top of my head, that I should have made.

The biggest thing that hurt my score was the last seven holes. I went double, bogey, double, bogey,double, double, quad. I can live with the bogeys, but no pars and a quad were killers. 18th hole was the biggest let down for me. Hit my tee shot right in the middle of the fairway, then hit to much loft on the approach and left it short right in a trap. Hit out of trap all the way across the green into a nasty spot. Chipped back close to the green but in deep rough. Proceeded to hit under the ball again and leave it short again. Chip again and get on, then 2 putt. I hate leaving the course with such a terrible hole.

I had a pretty good rounf yesterday with a 45 45 90, my driver was off though, I was not hiting it well at all but I managed to keep it in play, with only one penalty shot for the round.

I was chipping and putting pretty well, I really need to go and work on my tee game

96 yesterday, going the wrong way , 2 strokes for an OB, 4 x 3 putts (3 were for birdie, got bogie), my putting was horrid yesterday (7 over my avg.), weight issue. On the upside 8 FIR 4 GIR. Everyone in my group did think the green speed was strange, seemed like each green had it's own speed.

96 yesterday, going the wrong way , 2 strokes for an OB, 4 x 3 putts (3 were for birdie, got bogie), my putting was horrid yesterday (7 over my avg.), weight issue. On the upside 8 FIR 4 GIR. Everyone in my group did think the green speed was strange, seemed like each green had it's own speed.

keep working, it'll happen.

the number of putts is not a stat I watch a lot, ti can go up if you hit more GIRs than usual, leaving you with 30+ ft putts instead of scrambling and putting from inside 10 ft.

Looks like I should join this thread. I've been in the low 90's recently and looking at my handicap card, only have one round in the 80's. Of course, I don't have any over 99, so I've been good at eliminating disaster holes, but need to start getting in the 80's. I think more GIR and less 3 putts will do it, so that's what I'm focusing on practice wise.

Hopefully I'll have some good rounds to report soon!

Looks like I should join this thread. I've been in the low 90's recently and looking at my handicap card, only have one round in the 80's. Of course, I don't have any over 99, so I've been good at eliminating disaster holes, but need to start getting in the 80's. I think more GIR and less 3 putts will do it, so that's what I'm focusing on practice wise.

welcome to the group Chris!

Been a while since I crept into the 80s and unfortunately couldn't get it done yesterday either. Had a great chance at it though and was playing a good round. Some bad putting, one blow up hole and two lost balls left me shooting 91.

Feel your pain, there is always one or two holes that ruin it for me. Last good rd started off with first 4 holes with birdie putts. Then a rain storm hit, sat for an hr for it to pass, back on course and fell apart like a house of cards......

This isn't like you, smarten up Philly.

I just checked my handicap sheet, and all my scores that count are between 89 (only once) and 92... I am painfully close to breaking 90 on a consistent basis, it will happen this season

Had an awesome weekend playing with my brother in-laws and my dad. Ended up 1/4 breaking 90; shot 100, 96, 86, 92. I didn't putt particularly well during the stretch, and had way to many three putts due to poor speed. Lines were never an issue as I did make a few long ones. Driving was poor to start but by the last round I had it in a pretty good place. The duck hooks flared back up so I had to battle and figure that out. Ended up driving over 50% of fairways 3/4 rounds which was good.

Best development of the weekend was ball striking with the irons and wedges. I hit a lot of good iron and wedge shots from all different yardages and landed them in good spots. Very pleased with that. I need to spend more time practicing in the bunker and dialing in pitch shots. I have good feel for my lob pitches but the mid flight pitch that runs out a bit still escapes me and I don't get it close as I'd like.

I just checked my handicap sheet, and all my scores that count are between 89 (only once) and 92... I am painfully close to breaking 90 on a consistent basis, it will happen this season

sounds like short game/putting will put you over the hump

sounds like short game/putting will put you over the hump

yeah, that would help for sure, however I really feel like it would help me more if I was not punching my second shot from under the trees 10 times a round....

Back