Golfing alone - boring or fun?

Love playing solo. For me it's very relaxing, and almost therapeutic. If the course is somewhat clear, I'll practice shots from various places and lies, I find that to be so much more beneficial to me getting better than beating balls on the range.

I like playing with a group ... just more fun for me.

If the course is empty I won't mind playing along. I'll normally drop a couple balls and hit a few extra shots and really try to work on my game. But if there's people out on the course I would want to be in a group

I played alone today, the first time Ive played alone in a long time, actually. Id almost forgotten how peaceful and relaxing it can be, not to mention how quickly you can bang out 9 holes by yourself.

Like a lot of you, I like getting out early and playing a quick 9 or 18. Great way to work on your game and still get home to the wife and kids.

Something else I enjoyed doing in the evenings if the course was quiet, was making up new holes. Just stand on a tee and find creative ways to play to other hole's greens.

I find it more difficult. I play better golf when playing with others, whether i know them or not. There has been plenty times i have played alone and played poorly, then as soon as i catch up with someone my game drastically improves. Perhaps I'm just too competitive, or determined not to embarrass myself in front of others!

I've been sneaking in rounds after work, so golfing alone has become common for me. Now that we have longer days I can play a full 18. During the spring/fall I can only get 9.

I find it fun. I split time between two courses, one of which is not in the GHIN system, so that gives me the option of playing handicap and practice rounds (where I may play an extra ball now and again).

I generally enjoy playing alone. It's relaxing, I can work on my game, and sometimes I feel like I can concentrate more. I would never want to do it all the time, but once in a while is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played Black and Blue today. It was great, had the course to myself and played a ball off the black and then the blue. Music was chill on the front nine and Hip hop on the back.

I don't mind playing alone at all. Just put on some music and zone in on my game

Love it - especially when the course is clear in front of me. Makes for a quick round with no waiting.

I play as a single often, but usually get paired with others. I wouldn't mind playing solo, but I prefer to play with others and meeting new people.

You can tell they are online golfers when they drive the ball 325 yards with their three wood!
I hit that with my 5 wood....online. lol

I play by myself probably half the time. My 2 golf buddies can't always play but I like to play at least once a week. So I end up getting out on the 1st tee time about every other week. I enjoy it.

My best scoring round was when I golfed alone. My focus was better since I couldn't rely on anyone, other then myself, to locate my ball. I kept my head down, (my tendency is to look up), and amazingly my ball went were I was aiming

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I prefer to play with friends, but can play alone for training purposes if I do not get a playing partner. On my home course we have a 9 hole par 3 course as well, so if I play alone I tend to play that shorter course. Good way to train approach shots. One problem I have if I am playing a longer course alone is that I tend to loose balls, sometimes I know it should be on the FW but still can´t find it. Always nice with an extra pair of eyes or two to look for balls.

I love playing alone as it allows me to play really fast...finished the last 9 at Wildwood in 52 minutes last week.

However, a warning; today it was just over 100 degrees here in Beaverton, OR. I lifted weights, played 2 hours of competitive racquetball and then went golfing. Starting at 1:30. This was...what is a gentle way to say stupid? For about 12 holes all was well and then the sun really started getting to me. This being a quiet course there was nobody around. By the 17th hole I was literally sitting on the bench for 5 minutes between holes, checking my pulse, checking for signs of sunstroke. It was just fatigue.

Point is, golfing alone is awesome, but think better than I did, because done wrong it can be a bit dangerous. Sure, I had my phone with me, but I think the very fact I played the last 4-5 holes in fatigued condition and having burned through all the water and lemonade I brought indicates I was not thinking clearly.

Please be safer than I was.

Playing alone I shoot the most solid until I round 18 and head into overtime (beers take over). Its peaceful and lets me think about life.

I played 4 round while on holiday last week, all of them alone; 3 because there was no one to play with, and 1 because a member didn't want to play with me.

While I do love the conversations and banter I have when playing with my friends, I loved the peace and serenity I have on the course this week. It gave me time to really enjoy the beauty of the courses, and to reflect on some personal and work related issues I have going on right now. I just felt really relaxed. And it might be a coincidence, but I shot 3 of the 4 rounds below my previous personal best.

However, if I have the option between alone vs. with friends, I'll pick friends any day of the week.

In the 8 years I've been playing golf, I have never once played alone. I'm tempted to snag another dirt cheap ($8) tee time for tomorrow morning, but it'd be by myself.

Pros/Cons? I feel like it'd be really boring out there by myself.

It is for me. I don't care for playing alone. Rather play with a random stranger than alone. The social aspect of golf is essential to me for the compete playing experience. I'd rather go home and mow the lawn than play alone.

I'm a huge fan of playing solo, Mash pretty much summed it up for me. I can play at my own pace and I don't feel obligated to make small talk where it might not be comfortable. Sometimes if you get matched up with a stranger they try to force side conversation, particularly when it's about everything but golf and not "organic", all in all I'd rather just enjoy the environment.

I'm a big cold weather player because the courses tend to be less crowded.. I always find in come spring I need to make an overt adjustment to playing way way slower for another 3 along. That's a bit of a transition challenge for me.

Last edited:
I usually golf by myself 2-3 times a week, and play with friends/co-workers 2-3 times a week.
I enjoy both. I never did golf by myself before last year. Never knew what I was missing.

I enjoy being out on the course alone.

Back