Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 vs 130

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
Anyone hit both of these and able to compare them? I've read a lot of good things and would like to give them a try, but don't really have the ability to hit them locally.

In the past I was fit into DG S300s (and liked them) and the KBS shaft recommendation engine puts me into KBS Tour S+. Just trying to figure out which set to order.

120 might be the smoothest i've ever played. love them. 130 didn't fit me very well. too heavy and a little too stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

120 might be the smoothest i've ever played. love them. 130 didn't fit me very well. too heavy and a little too stout.

Do you still play the 120? I've heard some mixed review about is playing softer and to go up a flex. Curious your thoughts

Do you still play the 120? I've heard some mixed review about is playing softer and to go up a flex. Curious your thoughts

soft is not bad for me. i have a smooth transition but like a little more weight.

i play the 105 only because it came in the irons i bought and i'm trying to make it work. it feels a little firmer than i recall the 120 feeling and launches lower, but the head designs are different so not apples to apples. my fitter talked me out of switching to the 120 and so far i think that was the right call. my miss has been more varied on the face than with my last set that had the 120 fwiw.

it's tough because to me the lines feel different, and you really do need to try to figure out what works best for you.

I have been a long time DG S300 player and I recently tested the Nippon 105 S and 120 S shafts. The shafts were going in a set of Mizuno JPX 900F. The 105 was a little low launching and spinning for me on each of the 3 occasions I tested it. The 120 was a nice high launching and mid-low spinning shaft for me. Of the Nippon shafts, it is probably as close to DG S300 as you get but at a lighter weight. Dispersion and distance consistency was better with the 120. The feel of the shafts was awesomely smooth however the soft butt section of the 120 felt just a fraction smoother overall. Truth be told, I was tempted by the 105 simply because it was a few yards longer than the 120. I conversed with several of the fitters I have dealt with over the years and I was told to stay with the 120's. At times I want the long ball when I should be more concerned about a 6 iron flying consistently 170 yards straight at the target like was the case with the 120's. The long stiff tip on the 120's seems to give me more control of trajectory than with other shafts I have tried.

I briefly tried the 130 S. It is a different animal. It launched a bit flatter but had a higher overall flight with less spin than the 105's. This took the shaft off the table for me.

In the end, I could have made either the 105 or 120 work. I went with the 120's because I believe my ability to attack the pin is enhanced.

I've read some people say the Nippon 125 is like a hybrid between Dynamic Gold and KBS Tour.

DG S400 like playability with KBS feel.

To me the 120 launched slightly lower and felt "smoother". I can get after it sometimes and having gamed X flex shafts, in the 130's I think I could have gone with just an S flex. I do think they are stout but are SMOOTH non the less. But I think that's more of a Nippon characteristic than a weight profile specific feeling. The 130's to me launched and flew similar to PX but with a flatter overall flight.

Back