Ball Testing: Short Game Edition

Puffin

Reaction score
Handicap
Had a shoot out between my normal gamer ( Prov1) the new TaylorMade TP5.

10 rounds of chip and put from a nasty uphill lie to a short side hole. Had to flight the ball up to the green then drop it to roll out near the hole ten-twelve feet from the fringe in order to get up and down with a putt.

Got up and down with the Titleist four times and only once with the Taylormade.

Not sure if this is scientific proof of ball superiority or just an inditement of my poor chipping.
Will stay with the ProV1 and also spend thirty minutes chipping tonight in prep for my round tomorrow.

How do y'uns test balls?

Had a shoot out between my normal gamer ( Prov1) the new TaylorMade TP5.

10 rounds of chip and put from a nasty uphill lie to a short side hole. Had to flight the ball up to the green then drop it to roll out near the hole ten-twelve feet from the fringe in order to get up and down with a putt.

Got up and down with the Titleist four times and only once with the Taylormade.

Not sure if this is scientific proof of ball superiority or just an inditement of my poor chipping.
Will stay with the ProV1 and also spend thirty minutes chipping tonight in prep for my round tomorrow.

So did the ProV1 start and the tp5 finish? You got up me down 5 out of 20 times. How was the spacing between up and downs. What was your average distance with the ProV1 and the same with the tp5.

I think if anything, you figured that your short game needs work regardless of what ball you use.

So did the ProV1 start and the tp5 finish? You got up me down 5 out of 20 times. How was the spacing between up and downs. What was your average distance with the ProV1 and the same with the tp5.

I think if anything, you figured that your short game needs work regardless of what ball you use.

yes, exactly! I need to work on chipping the most in my game. Putting is not as bad. When I missed the 1st putt I'd always make the 2nd.

I don't find myself chipping that much when I play as I am usually missing greens short and approaching with a pitch to the green.

I would alternate each ball per round so it was evenly distributed.

Typically the Prov1 would be closer to the hole and the Taylormade would roll the past and not stop and be like 8 foot or more -- but some of the misses with the Titleist had a tendency to just stop close to the fringe, but think that was when I put more of pitch swing on it and not a chip.

Last edited:
yes, exactly! I need to work on chipping the most in my game. Putting is not as bad. When I missed the 1st putt I'd always make the 2nd.

I don't find myself chipping that much when I play as I am usually missing greens short and approaching with a pitch to the green.

I would alternate each ball per round so it was evenly distributed.

Typically the Prov1 would be closer to the hole and the Taylormade would roll the past and not stop and be like 8 foot or more -- but some of the misses with the Titleist had a tendency to just stop close to the fringe, but think that was when I put more of pitch swing on it and not a chip.

What is the difference between a chip and pitch?

ok this feels like a test.

Chip ball spends a short time in the air and rolls more - shorter swing more like a putt maintain the triangle

Pitch ball spends more time in the air, lands and rolls less or stops - higher trajectory- longer swing and you hinge.

Sorry for asking questions, just trying to get a sense of your test.

When I test balls I just take 2 or 3 balls that I'm interested in and try them from a variety of different lies around the green, and then some 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots. I'm not necessarily looking for the spinniest ball or the lowest spinning ball - just whatever ball seems to react in the way I'm expecting it to.

No problem with questions. It's been interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ball Testing: Short Game Edition

When I test balls I just take 2 or 3 balls that I'm interested in and try them from a variety of different lies around the green, and then some 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots. I'm not necessarily looking for the spinniest ball or the lowest spinning ball - just whatever ball seems to react in the way I'm expecting it to.

That seems to be a solid process. I like the idea of focusing on feel and the ball doing what you are visualizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back