Keeping Your Golf Game 'Fresh'

vaj18psu

Reaction score
Handicap
18.3 Grint
I recently graduated with my Master's and have some time before I start working so I've been playing a decent amount of golf over the last month or so (~10 rounds). My last three rounds have been 91-89-90 which is pretty good for me.

Unfortunately, I'm moving back home as we speak and my golf clubs will be on the moving truck for the next week, and then I head on vacation for two weeks and won't be able to play golf for the next three weeks or so.

I don't want to lose the roll I've been on and the confidence I've gained. What do you do to keep fresh when you're forced to take a break?

So many things you can do off the course to improve your game.

If you already broke 90 on your own, you have the ability and skills to break 80. You just don't have mature enough course management plan to do it. You can assess your game and skill. Read up on smart course management, make a plan and stick with it.

Mine is pretty simple.

Keep the ball in play-even if it means I hit short irons of the tee.

Don't hit 2 bad shots in a row-hit a bad drive? Don't try to follow with a heroic recovery shot, only follow bad ones with shots you can pull off successfully 80% of the time. Even if it's a side way 10 yards chip. Get it back in play.

Hit to the back of the every greens-avg golfers hit their approach shot short. Short of the pin and short of the greens. Hit to the back ensure that at worst you'd end up short but still be in the middle or front of the green putting.

Work on the swing at the range when you are out in the course just play don't work on the swing with busy swing thoughts, clear your mind and go on autopilot.

I for one can easily work on swing practicing without a club and right in your own home/living space. My insrtucter has my swing broken into small pieces that of course all add up to make one full swing. Im always practicing the little portions of the swing separately. You can hold just about anything in your hands to do this. Its a way to ingrain repeatability.
Things like only th beginning of the take away portion. Then the upper portion. Then the transition portion, etc, etc. I do them repeatedly little sections at a time. Then you put two together making the sections into larger sections , then more, then a full swing. He tought me how to do this stuff. In fact he originally gave me (almost homework like) assignments. No ball (and even club not totally necessary) but its helped (or still in process of helping) ingrain repeatability. Of course the steps need to be correct ones for your swing. But our swing and building a good repeatable automatic one is what its all about is his advice to me and as well as many here would also mention so if one is searching for something to do? Id say regardless of ability practicing the swing any way we can is a good thing.

I grew up in Michigan. The idea that I am, somehow, going to forget how to play golf...or skate for that matter...during the "off" season is foreign to me. Skills do not evaporate quite so quickly. Also...not being able to play helps keep games and other activities in perspective. I have found, throughout my 60+ years, that an enforced time away usually results in me being more appreciative of life, in general, and less concerned with the sort of minutia that accumulates from intense focus. Time off, in short, can be a good thing.

I recently graduated with my Master's and have some time before I start working so I've been playing a decent amount of golf over the last month or so (~10 rounds). My last three rounds have been 91-89-90 which is pretty good for me.

Unfortunately, I'm moving back home as we speak and my golf clubs will be on the moving truck for the next week, and then I head on vacation for two weeks and won't be able to play golf for the next three weeks or so.

I don't want to lose the roll I've been on and the confidence I've gained. What do you do to keep fresh when you're forced to take a break?

Honestly, brother, enjoy your vacation. As stated above, you're not going to just forget how to play golf. As far as the roll you're on, it's tough to just "give it up" for a couple of weeks. Hell, I have a hard time just walking off the course when I playing well, let alone any lengthy hiatus, but it is what it is. As far as confidence? Brother, you've already got it. You're game is on fire and your (obviously) posting some decent scores. The confidence will only leave you if you let it. Step onto that first tee when you return and turn it loose, man. You got this.

Thanks for the responses, fellas.

It's not so much that I am going to forget HOW to play golf, but I always find that after a break, some key swing thoughts that were working for me take a few holes to come back to mind, but I realize that is golf and for the most part, inevitable.

Will do some reading up on course management, maybe jot down the swing thoughts that have been working for me to re-read before my next round, and enjoy life and the vacation.

Hit 'em straight while I'm gone!

So many things you can do off the course to improve your game.

If you already broke 90 on your own, you have the ability and skills to break 80. You just don't have mature enough course management plan to do it. You can assess your game and skill. Read up on smart course management, make a plan and stick with it.

Mine is pretty simple.

Keep the ball in play-even if it means I hit short irons of the tee.

Don't hit 2 bad shots in a row-hit a bad drive? Don't try to follow with a heroic recovery shot, only follow bad ones with shots you can pull off successfully 80% of the time. Even if it's a side way 10 yards chip. Get it back in play.

Hit to the back of the every greens-avg golfers hit their approach shot short. Short of the pin and short of the greens. Hit to the back ensure that at worst you'd end up short but still be in the middle or front of the green putting.

Work on the swing at the range when you are out in the course just play don't work on the swing with busy swing thoughts, clear your mind and go on autopilot.

This is so good, I copied it to my notes on my phone. Thanks!

This is so good, I copied it to my notes on my phone. Thanks!

Ha ha, thanks. I used to have similar things laminated and hang on my golf bag. It's a written contract between me and the old man par. If you stick with the plan you'd be,shooting low(er) score soon. I guarantee it.

Back