5 hybrids, who uses them?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As I am looking to upgrade my hybrids to match my Epic irons, I've started debating on going to a 5h instead of a 5i since I generally struggle to hit it consistently. That would give me a Driver, 3w, heavenwood, 4h and 5h in the bag.

I'm considering the Epic hybrids to match my woods but they are backordered. Also looking at the Ping G for the hybrid spots. Being LH makes it hard since some companies only make a 3h and 4h in LH but Callaway, Cobra, and Ping seem to be friendly to higher lh hybrids. I definitely want something forgiving but I don't think I want a massive OS head either.

I'm not a long hitter at all so any help with distance on longer clubs would help. For those who use a 5h, is there anything you feel like you are missing by not using a 5i?

Ive had a 5 for years and recently a 6 now and then. If you use them enough the accuracy is just fine. With my slow swing speed it helps getting height and just easier to hit. The only issue for me is a gap that creates. The 5 hybrid is about a club longer than the 5 iron. So thats about 20 between the 6 iron and 5 hybo so if I keep both 5's it messes with how many wedges to stay at 14 clubs. The same issue just slides down if I add the six. Constant give and take. I vote for a rule change to 15:D

I think of it this way: the longer clubs, in my bag, are there for the sole purpose of bringing my shorter clubs into play. Until I get to the putter; any one of them might get the call. In other words: it matters not how one gets there. If a 5 hybrid is more useful to you than a 5 iron (and you cannot carry both) by all means carry the 5 hybrid. All you give up, if I am reading your post correctly, is a less useful and perhaps less reliable club.

I have bagged a Callaway Apex 5 hybrid for about a year. I do sometimes throw a 5 iron in place of the 5 hybrid for the heck of it, but for any tournament rounds the 5 hybrid is in the bag. Just easier for me to hit consistently well. Other than full shots, the most useful thing about have a 5 iron for me is I can hit a longer low shot out of trees than with a 6 iron. The solution to that is staying out of the trees! haha

I'm in the process of replacing my 5i with a 5Hy as well. I love the apex hybrid and will buy that once I find one on CPO. I resisted for a long time but I'm really not that accurate with a 5i and once I found how awesome the apex hybo is I made the decision to go that route.

I use a Steelhead 5h and its great. Lot of distance and loft off the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am left handed as well and play Callaway Steelhead XR 5 hybrid and it is one of my favorite clubs in the bag

I gamed a 5 hybrid for a brief period of time, I went back to a 5 iron for more accuracy.

I'm gaming the Epic 5 hybrid. Had the steelhead XR, but the face was muted compared to the Epic. For me at least, I know I can hit my 5 hybrid consistently versus a 5 iron where I'd have to toss a coin on what the result would be. Also with the Epic being adjustable, you should be able to dial in your gaps. My 2 cents.

Me. No since in carrying any iron longer than a 6-iron unless you're a really good golfer (and maybe not even then). Hybrids were designed to be easier, so why not take advantage?

I have both a Cally BB 5h and the Cobra F7 5i and have more recently been using the 5i more because I've been hitting it more consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I play an Apex 5h and it's a staple in the bag. It's versatile and a club I'm able to adjust how far I want to hit.

I play 3/4/5 hybrids. Would Game a 6h if they made one in my line of hybrids.

I have a 3,4,5, and 6 Hybrid. The cobra baffler DWS. I think about getting some newer ones but I hit them as good as my wedges. Also the yardage gaps are a perfect 10 yard on each one. If I have consistency why bother upgrading. Now if only I would stop hitting out of my shoes with my driver. When I try to swing hard it goes nowhere. When I swing slow it goes.

I swapped to a 5 hybrid about 3 months ago. I could I was ok off the tee with a 5 iron, but not particularly great off the deck. One of the best decisions I've made. Ended up with the M2 17 hybrid. It's fantastic. Super easy to hit and I can now hit high soft landing shots into the green from about 180 away. The only issue may be I have a bit of a gap between the 6 iron and 5 hybrid.

When I buy my next set of irons it will be 6-UW and then fill in gaps with hybrids. Its a smart choice if you hit them well. Don't care how you got your score, just how many.

For those with the steelhead 5h, how big of a distance gap is there between that and your 5i?

I've used one for the past year and love it! I hit it way more consistently than I did my 5 iron.

I really should have a 3W in the bag, but I don't. I'm a Driver, 3H & 5H guy.

I've played one for years (currently Apex 5h). I don't feel I'm missing anything....maybe the occasional punch out where I would prefer a lower lofted iron but the benefits far outweigh that one occasional need.

I gamed a 5 hybrid for a brief period of time, I went back to a 5 iron for more accuracy.

Thank goodness that I'm not losing my mind. I use to carry a 5 hybrid (I think it was the Nike CPR) and i hated that thing compared to my 5 iron. I don't know if I had so much confidence in the clubhead size that I would swing harder and thus more inaccurately but after giving it an honest 10-12 rounds I couldn't get that thing out of my bag quick enough and replaced with my 5 iron. Being a lefty, of course I could never find anyone to sell it to. I think I still have it stuffed in a closet somewhere.

I love my titleist hybrids, see signature.

I have used a 5H for several years now and swear by them. I can hit my 5I but hit the hybrid more consistently and accurately. I agree with another comment here in that whatever helps you enjoy the game and gets the ball to the green. My hybrids inspire confidence in my game which keeps me enjoying the game. Good luck in your search.

I game 4,5,6 in the old xr hybrids. I would not switch back to irons

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I only play a 6 iron up and have both 4 and 5 epic hybrids to match the rest of my epic woods. The epic hybrids look so good and are so easy to hit and feel great and launch the ball high. Best hybrids i have hit in years.

Back