The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

Lots of hockey players get limbered up for a game by kicking a soccer ball in the back of the arena. If one were to twist his ankle doing that, would you be all over him as well?

Come on.
I haven't exactly been all over Rory, just said I wouldn't be playing soccer during major season. And while I know it said kickaround, I bet he was playing a spirited game. I just don't think that is smart during your biggest couple months of the year.

It just sucks we aren't going to get to see him play St Andrews. I hope he is back by the PGA .

We are talking about real sports here Canadan. :alien:
I kid I kid...But there is definitely two sides to it.

Contracts are written all over the sports world about outside sports causing injury. In this instance, he has no team to answer to, just himself so its a bit different. However if its two weeks before a major and I am defending champion and its being played on the course that I have always dreamed of winning it on, I am being a bit more cautious.

I guess it depends on how the injury occurred and what kind of activity it was. He said kickaround and I read somewhere already here that claimed it was just casual. If that's the case, and he just turned the wrong well, I totally get it. Injuries are impossible and easy.

Beats playing with fireworks or riding dirtbikes off big jumps.

We are talking about real sports here Canadan. :alien:
I kid I kid...But there is definitely two sides to it.

Contracts are written all over the sports world about outside sports causing injury. In this instance, he has no team to answer to, just himself so its a bit different. However if its two weeks before a major and I am defending champion and its being played on the course that I have always dreamed of winning it on, I am being a bit more cautious.

If he was just running on the grass and caught a spot or soft ground and blew a tendon, that's not the same as a full out soccer game with slide tackles and diving headers.

Would this story be different if he hurt with training? Out for a trail run and pop? What if he tripped over his dog? Reality is, sometimes sh!t happens.

I haven't exactly been all over Rory, just said I wouldn't be playing soccer during major season. And while I know it said kickaround, I bet he was playing a spirited game. I just don't think that is smart during your biggest couple months of the year.

It just sucks we aren't going to get to see him play St Andrews. I hope he is back by the PGA .

We lose out sure, but he was hardly in contention at the US Open... Who's to say he was even going to play well at the Open? We're still going to watch great golf, and he has effectively screwed himself out of being 100% for that tournament and maybe the next year+ of his playing career.

It sucks for Rory, but he did it to himself. I don't think he's an idiot for it, I just think it sucks.

Injuries happen, heck he could have injured himself carrying his suitcase or just walking out to his car.

Not sure why some feel the need to criticize someone for enjoying their life with their friends. Yes it sucks we don't get to see him defend his title, but life goes on. He's young and has plenty of years of golf ahead of him.

If he was just running on the grass and caught a spot or soft ground and blew a tendon, that's not the same as a full out soccer game with slide tackles and diving headers.

Would this story be different if he hurt with training? Out for a trail run and pop? What if he tripped over his dog? Reality is, sometimes sh!t happens.

Im not bashing the guy. Nor do I think its a bit deal or care all that much. Just that stuff happens and people get blasted in all of the other sports for doing this very thing. We both know that if Aaron Rodgers blew out his knee surfing casually, you would be ALL OVER HIM in the NFL thread. **** happens and I am sure this is just a small accident. Just saying that if I was in his shoes in this exact same situation, I would have shied away from kicking the ball around at this exact time of year (this year with it at St Andrews).

Injuries happen, heck he could have injured himself carrying his suitcase or just walking out to his car.

Not sure why some feel the need to criticize someone for enjoying their life with their friends. Yes it sucks we don't get to see him defend his title, but life goes on. He's young and has plenty of years of golf ahead of him.

"He is rich enough to pay somebody to carry his luggage for him. He can also afford a bodyguard to carry him around Ariana Grande style!"

-Random internet blowhard.

Im not bashing the guy. Nor do I think its a bit deal or care all that much. Just that stuff happens and people get blasted in all of the other sports for doing this very thing. We both know that if Aaron Rodgers blew out his knee surfing casually, you would be ALL OVER HIM in the NFL thread. **** happens and I am sure this is just a small accident. Just saying that if I was in his shoes in this exact same situation, I would have shied away from kicking the ball around at this exact time of year (this year with it at St Andrews).

Don't you dare make me face the 5 Stages of Loss and Grief over a hypothetical!

Lots of hockey players get limbered up for a game by kicking a soccer ball in the back of the arena. If one were to twist his ankle doing that, would you be all over him as well?

Come on.
Great point Dan!

Considering how much torque and weight he puts on that ankle when he swings - I hope he lets this fully heal and not let it linger all season.

Said the exact same thing this morning

I feel bad for Ror's. Especially so close to the Open. We're all humans we all wanna have fun. Just a misfortune on his part is all.

While we here are not pleased at his missing out on the tournament, let's not forget, he's probably pretty peeved as well. I think his expression in the picture says it all.

Pretty interesting that he would be playing soccer this close to The Open. I understand having outside interest but this is a pretty aggressive injury that may have been avoided.

Saw a story recently where Jordan Spieth's brother was lamenting the fact that Jordan won't play him in basketball anymore for this very reason. Seems kind of sad to me, but with the amount of money on the line for these guys I get it. A real bummer for Rory and golf in general.

Pretty interesting that he would be playing soccer this close to The Open. I understand having outside interest but this is a pretty aggressive injury that may have been avoided.

it could have happened when he went for a run too as part of his normal workout routine. from what i heard, other than running during this outing with is boys he was not performing a soccer move when the injury occurred.

i don't fault the guy for doing this right before The Open or at anytime. Its just a freak accident that could have happened at anytime.

There are a lot stories of professional athletes getting hurt doing everyday simple things. Life happens I don't agree that these guys need to isolate themselves. Accidents happen.

I believe it was Tom Browning (pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds) that cut his hand on a steak knife unloading the dishwasher at home and missed a few starts. Sh*t happens.

Sucks for Rory. When I first read the headline, I thought (hoped for his sake) he did it on the course. Definitely has to hurt him more that it happened off the course than on it.

Some people are good at living inside a bubble, some people aren't. You could have a piano fall on you on your walk home from work ... so I don't fault Rory for playing soccer with friends. I lost my junior year of cross country after landing awkwardly while playing basketball in my driveway during the summer which resulted in an LCL injury (fortunately didn't tear the ACL). I stopped playing bball after that (and my scholarship forbade me from skiing) but you never know when your number is going to get called and trying to prevent X, Y and Z only to succumb to A, B or C is something you just can't predict.

it could have happened when he went for a run too as part of his normal workout routine. from what i heard, other than running during this outing with is boys he was not performing a soccer move when the injury occurred.

i don't fault the guy for doing this right before The Open or at anytime. Its just a freak accident that could have happened at anytime.

Yep. With the amount of working out and how hard he works out, he risks pulling or tearing something every single day. This didn't sound like he was out getting slide tackled or anything, just sounded like it he was just kicking a ball around and unfortunately something went wrong.

Luckily golf in this instance is a singular sport and he puts no one out but himself competition wise. Sucks for him, but there's no fault here. I see nothing wrong with what he was doing.

I feel bad for Rory - an unfortunate accident while he was having some fun.

Wouldn't be surprised if Nike tweaks his contract after this though - "no activities expect those related to the golf swing and the betterment of his swing"

As others have mentioned, take a page out of Tigers book and let it heal properly instead of having it become a lingering issue...

He is in a controlled environment while working out. He has yet to injure himslef while working out but ruptures his ankle kicking the football around. Hainv played soccer half my life I have sustained more injuries then I ever have lifting very heavy for a period of three years.

I do not fault him for doing what he wants, but sometimes you need to just sit back and relax. I see your points that anything can happen at anytime. But if you take precautions sometimes it works out in your favor and you're ready to defend you title. I think this sidelines him for a good bit. It usually takes week for an ankle sprain to heal. This guy makes a living on his feet and needs then both strong to compete at the highest level. I think this will be an issue with the media if he plays poorly in the coming weeks.
Yep. With the amount of working out and how hard he works out, he risks pulling or tearing something every single day. This didn't sound like he was out getting slide tackled or anything, just sounded like it he was just kicking a ball around and unfortunately something went wrong.

Luckily golf in this instance is a singular sport and he puts no one out but himself competition wise. Sucks for him, but there's no fault here. I see nothing wrong with what he was doing.

He is in a controlled environment while working out. He has yet to injure himslef while working out but ruptures his ankle kicking the football around. Hainv played soccer half my life I have sustained more injuries then I ever have lifting very heavy for a period of three years.

I do not fault him for doing what he wants, but sometimes you need to just sit back and relax. I see your points that anything can happen at anytime. But if you take precautions sometimes it works out in your favor and you're ready to defend you title. I think this sidelines him for a good bit. It usually takes week for an ankle sprain to heal. This guy makes a living on his feet and needs then both strong to compete at the highest level. I think this will be an issue with the media if he plays poorly in the coming weeks.

I understand where you're coming from, I just will personally never see the problem with this situation. I tore a tendon on my hip off in high school playing a pick up lacrosse game which caused me to miss my fall sport and effected my movement a little 6 months later the following lacrosse season...but I would never tell someone else to watch out and not play a pick up game, because I honestly don't personally know a single other person that has had that injury haha. I still played pick up lacrosse the following off season as well. I wasn't going to stop just because a weird freak accident happened before. It just came from over use that year, which I feel is part of the problem with this injury to Rory. I think it's just over use and how much strain he puts on his ankle in his swing. It's not like he was bungie jumping or rock climbing, he was doing something he probably does all the time and probably has his entire life.

I understand where you're coming from, I just will personally never see the problem with this situation. I tore a tendon on my hip off in high school playing a pick up lacrosse game which caused me to miss my fall sport and effected my movement a little 6 months later the following lacrosse season...but I would never tell someone else to watch out and not play a pick up game, because I honestly don't personally know a single other person that has had that injury haha. I still played pick up lacrosse the following off season as well. I wasn't going to stop just because a weird freak accident happened before. It just came from over use that year, which I feel is part of the problem with this injury to Rory. I think it's just over use and how much strain he puts on his ankle in his swing. It's not like he was bungie jumping or rock climbing, he was doing something he probably does all the time and probably has his entire life.

And while I see what you are saying, you were not chasing history (major championships) and did not have millions of dollars on the line from companies backing you. I honestly dont think this is a big deal, but the smart money on this close to the Open Championship, being played on a course you have dreamed winning it on since you were a little kid, is to play it safe.

And while I see what you are saying, you were not chasing history (major championships) and did not have millions of dollars on the line from companies backing you. I honestly dont think this is a big deal, but the smart money on this close to the Open Championship, being played on a course you have dreamed winning it on since you were a little kid, is to play it safe.

This is true. It's a different world that he lives in, and maybe if I was in that as well I would think differently.

You think he has over used his ankle in the golf swing and it was already weak so it ruptured? I have played golf for 30+ years and never had a ankle injury. I also played soccer for the past 5 years, three times a year and I can tell you the muscles used a different. I have twisted my ankle playiong soccer numerous times, stepping on the ball wrong, hit the ground before the ball or turning wrong.

I agree with you not telling people how to live their lives or what activities they are apart of. But professional athletes needs to a bit more careful then the regular guy playing casual sports.

This is true. It's a different world that he lives in, and maybe if I was in that as well I would think differently.

I used the analogy for Blugold of Aaron Rodgers. But lets use Lebron James here as an example assuming you are a Cavs fan. Lets say that right before the NBA finals game 6, he breaks his ankle playing a flag football game.

Most fans would be like "What the hell? Why would you put yourself in that situation before the biggest game of your season?"

Im not saying the fans are right or wrong, or that these players/athletes are right or wrong. Just a different perspective.

Back