Northerner

Reaction score
I'm a 37 year old from St. Paul, MN., who recently lost his swing.

I mean it is literally gone. I couldn't even hit one swing on any of my clubs on their screws a couple weeks ago - it's gotten better the last week (I think).

I've been in love with golf for almost 20 years now - after high school back in the late 90s I started to play golf religiously; I grew up playing hockey (started when I was 4 years old here in the Mecca of American hockey, St. Paul's East Side) and I've never had a golf lesson in my life.

Honestly losing my swing this off season has been devastating, as golf was going to be my refuge now that I have come to terms with my issues with alcohol and how that can't be a part of my life anymore henceforth.

I was an ok golfer - I've never kept a handicap but back in the mid 2000s I would shoot in the 70s regular. My best round ever was a +1 71 (par 70) on the fairly tame muni course I grew up on; arguably the best round I have ever was probably a 75 (+3 on a par 72) from the tips on Keller Golf Course here not far from where I grew which used to host a PGA and LPGA event.

It's just been nothing short of devastating (as I alluded to) to lose my swing at this point of my life.

I do hope I get it back soon! Thank you for this forum (the other forum had a moderator with a Superman avatar that had it out for me for various overzealous reasons...done with their site now with their Gestapo like moderators!)..

:bashful:

Glad to be here - maybe if someone here can look at my swing I can get some video of it to upload to get to the bottom of my conundrum regarding my now trainwreck of a swing that I posses now. :D

Welcome. Post a video in the swimg tips section and Freddie will take a look at your swing

Welcome.

I am sympa with you, having retooled my swing several times in 23 yrs of golf. Don't let it get to you. Other events in life are ... more imp't. Have someone look at you. Take a vid and have Tadashi70 (Freddie) look at it. Find a decent local instructor - which is tough to do.

Thank you gentlemen.

A few significant things have went on in my life in the last...probably 6 months to a year?

- started more physically demanding job
- broke up with girlfriend
- got sober
- started chewing (tobacco) again, which I've stopped within the last week as I thought it was having some serious physical and psychological impact on me
- lost 25 pounds in the last two months

And I'm sure there's another thing or two I'm leaving out which could be impacting my golf swing.

Honestly my swing felt so foreign to me a few weeks ago I thought it was gone for good. It felt like I had never swung a golf club before in my life or like I was swinging left handed. My nervy-ness feels like it could be related to chewing tobacco more regularly, and a cheaper (maybe nastier?) brand of chew. I don't know if that has thrown my nerves so out of whack as to have effected my swing so profoundly but it got so bad I felt like I should at least try quitting that nasty habit and see if that didn't at least play a little role in my loss of golf swing.

I used to be able to go on a range and just hammer away at balls and (mostly) not hit too many shanks.

Anyways...glad to be here. I have always loved the game and will always love the game, even if I never hit another on-the-screws shot again in my life!

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard

Thank you gentlemen.

A few significant things have went on in my life in the last...probably 6 months to a year?

- started more physically demanding job
- broke up with girlfriend
- got sober
- started chewing (tobacco) again, which I've stopped within the last week as I thought it was having some serious physical and psychological impact on me
- lost 25 pounds in the last two months

And I'm sure there's another thing or two I'm leaving out which could be impacting my golf swing.

Honestly my swing felt so foreign to me a few weeks ago I thought it was gone for good. It felt like I had never swung a golf club before in my life or like I was swinging left handed. My nervy-ness feels like it could be related to chewing tobacco more regularly, and a cheaper (maybe nastier?) brand of chew. I don't know if that has thrown my nerves so out of whack as to have effected my swing so profoundly but it got so bad I felt like I should at least try quitting that nasty habit and see if that didn't at least play a little role in my loss of golf swing.

I used to be able to go on a range and just hammer away at balls and (mostly) not hit too many shanks.

Anyways...glad to be here. I have always loved the game and will always love the game, even if I never hit another on-the-screws shot again in my life!

Lots of changes --- stay disciplined and relaxed.

Chew -- about 5 yrs ago, a client retained me in OK, and I went into my first conference room meeting, and almost every guy of a dozen, chewed. So many cups and spit during meetings ... I'm from Dallas, and you just don't see that much chew. Fast forward 3 years later, and only 1 or 2 of those original dozen guys still chew. They all went in on a pact to stop, having seen what it does to their body after years of use. Good luck!

As to golf, so many changes --- the swing will come back - get a vid together.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!!

Lots of changes --- stay disciplined and relaxed.

Chew -- about 5 yrs ago, a client retained me in OK, and I went into my first conference room meeting, and almost every guy of a dozen, chewed. So many cups and spit during meetings ... I'm from Dallas, and you just don't see that much chew. Fast forward 3 years later, and only 1 or 2 of those original dozen guys still chew. They all went in on a pact to stop, having seen what it does to their body after years of use. Good luck!

As to golf, so many changes --- the swing will come back - get a vid together.

Real chewers "gut" (swallow) it. My friend does. I do/did from time to time - it helped with "going" (to the bathroom) as well.

I think this last week - with all the physical weakness I was feeling - I think I might be done with it for good. I honestly thought I was having early ALS symptoms. It was pretty scary.

I just hope my swing will come back...!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

:welcome:

Welcome!!!

Back