The dreaded "S" word...

EBannermanS

Reaction score
Handicap
The first step is admitting you have a problem... :crying:

I've been encountering some shanks - particularly with my 7 iron down through my wedges. Thankfully, it's only made it onto the course once with a wedge and has mainly been restricted to practice, but it's enough of a concern that I'm reaching out for help. In the link below are videos of two swings in my back yard. Let me know if you're seeing anything that I should be working on in order to create more consistent center-of-face contact. For what it's worth, my typical ball flight is a draw. Thanks in advance!

https://goo.gl/photos/kiqgCpPoGryLoX7K9

95cc8a7f1e5c7c47f8c028e4b63e2f87.png

This is from the 6 sec video.....solid

e0c7fdfbceaf4c472c40e9dd1915b98e.png

From the 3 sec video.....solid

Now to your shanks.....I can see how you might shank a few balls now and again. Look at the still from the 3 sec video. You are up in both toes with a 7iron? In your hand. If that right knee move out toward the ball, the hosel will be making contact first. If you continue to swing the way you do in the video, I don't see any shanks. Your margin for error is very small.

You seem to be creating space on the down swing since you spine angle tends to get a bit strait prior to contact. I think if you move a bit back from the ball in your set up you won't have that shank tendency. I'm talking a half inch and keep working on that swing. It's pretty damn solid.

Thanks so much, Freddie. I'll try backing off the ball a bit and will reach out if I continue to encounter the issue.

Back