Newbie's Review of Woodcrest Country Club, Cherry Hill, NJ

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
First off, let me say that I am not a well traveled Golfer. I've only played a handful of 18 hole courses in my lifetime, but also enjoy nice locales to look at and can appreciate a nicely maintained place.

Woodcrest Country Club (WCC) used to be all private, but due to declining interest in Golf in the area, many of the old guard passing on, and the difficulty in NJ for middle class families to own a home and also "splurge" on things like Golf Course Memberships, the Club eventually had to go semi-private. My family and I have a "Social Membership" which includes all the amenities (pool, clubhouse, restaurant, tennis courts) and also greens fees for four rounds of Golf, it is quite a steal in our area where "Swim Clubs" charge double for just the privilege of using their pool. For us, it's an amazing deal.

There are also locker rooms to shower including all the amenities and very good food at multiple places to eat on the grounds.

Now to the course. It is truly immaculate. The grounds looks incredible. There are constantly grounds keepers priming and maintaining the course throughout the day. It was very hot today, but the fairways weren't overly dry, the greens were firm and fast, there are a couple of water stations to hydrate, and the tee areas were also well maintained.

The course itself is way over my head. Narrow fairways with not much room until you are in the woods. There is also water at 12 of the 18 holes (I think) and it is strategically placed so you really have to think about where your next shot is going or will end up. A few doglegs to blind greens, so if you aren't with someone who know the course, it is certainly much more challenging.

Many of the tees are elevated or you are hitting to an elevated or sunken fairway. And the are steep. Not really gradual elevation changes. Some of the hole are on elevated greens and many are very well protected by bunkers. One of the par 3s really got my attention as it is an elevated tee to an even more elevated green on a steep hill, surrounded by bunkers and trees.

The pace is quick. Most people who play there are regulars and are quite good compared to me, so pacing is very important. They don't push you, but there is definitely the need to make sure you aren't holding things up. Even on a relatively quiet day like they had today.

All in all, I really had a blast. I picked up a good bit to not slow my group down, but they were super nice and really cheered me on when I got a good ball here and there.

If you live in the area, I would say to give it a try. It is a little pricey for a semi-private course, but it isn't out of this world for our area's prices.

I'd love to hear from someone more experienced than me on how they felt about the difficulty of the course. I usually place at Indian Springs locally, which is basically very flat, very wide, but not nearly as well maintained. Much easier for a newbie!

First off, let me say that I am not a well traveled Golfer. I've only played a handful of 18 hole courses in my lifetime, but also enjoy nice locales to look at and can appreciate a nicely maintained place.

Woodcrest Country Club (WCC) used to be all private, but due to declining interest in Golf in the area, many of the old guard passing on, and the difficulty in NJ for middle class families to own a home and also "splurge" on things like Golf Course Memberships, the Club eventually had to go semi-private. My family and I have a "Social Membership" which includes all the amenities (pool, clubhouse, restaurant, tennis courts) and also greens fees for four rounds of Golf, it is quite a steal in our area where "Swim Clubs" charge double for just the privilege of using their pool. For us, it's an amazing deal.

There are also locker rooms to shower including all the amenities and very good food at multiple places to eat on the grounds.

Now to the course. It is truly immaculate. The grounds looks incredible. There are constantly grounds keepers priming and maintaining the course throughout the day. It was very hot today, but the fairways weren't overly dry, the greens were firm and fast, there are a couple of water stations to hydrate, and the tee areas were also well maintained.

The course itself is way over my head. Narrow fairways with not much room until you are in the woods. There is also water at 12 of the 18 holes (I think) and it is strategically placed so you really have to think about where your next shot is going or will end up. A few doglegs to blind greens, so if you aren't with someone who know the course, it is certainly much more challenging.

Many of the tees are elevated or you are hitting to an elevated or sunken fairway. And the are steep. Not really gradual elevation changes. Some of the hole are on elevated greens and many are very well protected by bunkers. One of the par 3s really got my attention as it is an elevated tee to an even more elevated green on a steep hill, surrounded by bunkers and trees.

The pace is quick. Most people who play there are regulars and are quite good compared to me, so pacing is very important. They don't push you, but there is definitely the need to make sure you aren't holding things up. Even on a relatively quiet day like they had today.

All in all, I really had a blast. I picked up a good bit to not slow my group down, but they were super nice and really cheered me on when I got a good ball here and there.

If you live in the area, I would say to give it a try. It is a little pricey for a semi-private course, but it isn't out of this world for our area's prices.

I'd love to hear from someone more experienced than me on how they felt about the difficulty of the course. I usually place at Indian Springs locally, which is basically very flat, very wide, but not nearly as well maintained. Much easier for a newbie!

Thanks for the review, when I was a kid Woodcrest was private and restricted. After I agreed to a Bah Mitzvah I was allowed to play! Woodcrest was a fine track always in nice shape. I played out of Little Mill CC back in those days. Had similar topography. Indian Springs is a much different round of golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good review!

I have a buddy who I'm pretty sure is still a member there, but I haven't been down there yet. If you run into Mike Huber, he's a good guy and enjoys NASCAR if you're into that (I met him at Twisted Dune one day and went to a couple Dover races with him and a couple other guys). Tell him that Brian isn't happy about Dale Jr retiring this year!

Back