When is it too hot to golf?

I have played in AZ in July and August always a cart in the summer in AZ. I haven't found the too hot threshold yet as long as there's plenty of water available

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Never.

Frequently play 72 hole weekends in Orlando in mid-July, albeit riding. I much prefer hot, humid rounds to rounds in the 50s during the fall.

Put me in the dry heat camp ... I have golf in 115+, but less that 10% humidity ... I also have golfed in 90+ with 90+ humidity and just died ... being raised on the gulf coast of Texas, I just can not stand humidity any longer.

85F + high humidity.

We get some crazy humidity here and it just beats you up.

Never if in a cart. If walking, 95 is pushing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a fantastic question. A few years ago ddec, Scarnici, bmik, and I played Bethpage Black when the heat index was 105°. I decided to carry my bag; the other three pushed. Standing in the middle of the second hole, I really thought that I would not make it through the round. I made a concerted effort to walk efficiently, spend the majority of the time in the shade, and constantly hydrate.

We all made it, and that was a pretty special day, but that was probably TOO HOT.

90 and I'll still play, but 95 and high humidity, I'm staying in!

I will play in just about any heat in Las Vegas (highest was 117), but heat + humidity is killer. I played Wolf Creek in Mesquite a few years ago right after a monsoon had blown through town. It was about 105 with high humidity and I barely made it through. One of the guys in our group was physically ill because of it.

Never really seen too hot when riding, but it can definitely get too hot to walk the course.

When I went on my golf vacations in Arizona, it was always in July and August and we just made early tee times and were always in the pool drinking beer by noon.

Played in 111 in south Texas/north Mexico a couple of weeks ago and while it wasn't terrible as long as the cooler had ice & water, I wouldn't want to do it often.

I will play in any temp but will not walk if temps are in the 90s with high humidity.

For me I know the limit is about 113-115ish. I golfed a few weeks ago and it was 114 I believe, and the last 5 holes were a struggle. I was by myself, so I did 18 in two hours. If I was with a 4 some I would have bowed out after nine.

It doesn't get that hot here in the lower Midwest region. We may dip our toes into the 100's and the humidity is crazy but I'll just ride instead of walk and have plenty to drink. Cold is another story, low 40's and I'm out...

As others have said it depends on humidity. I've played and walked in around 100F in Salt Lake City before and been reasonably comfortable, but it was also about 20% humidity. On the flip side, I've walked in 90F with like a 75F dew point and it's absolutely horrendous.

So in general, over 100 in dry climates I'm either not playing or I'm riding, and in tropical climates probably over 85 or 90 with really high humidity I'll skip or ride. Somewhere in between when the humidity is somewhere in between.

June through October in South Florida...:whew:

Never if in a cart. If walking, 95 is pushing it.

I can recall some rounds from Pecan and Meadow where that 95* threshold for walking has been tested a bit...definitely by late in the round. Like you, I'll play in just about any temp provided I have a cart and water / Gatorade. I will only walk if the round is played early in the morning and it's not going to be humid...and in DFW, its almost always pretty humid...so my walking days from May to September are extremely rare.

I thought about going to Palm Springs yesterday to play golf. I looked at the weather forecast, and it was supposed to be 114*. That... is too hot for golf. :D

When is it too hot? Only when it is unhealthy.

I played in 105* heat a few weeks ago in Nevada.
Lots of high SPF sunscreen, lots of water and gatorade and yes...beer.
Find shade when you can.

I played in 30-35C heat this past weekend. Any hotter and I need to take some precautions.

I thought about going to Palm Springs yesterday to play golf. I looked at the weather forecast, and it was supposed to be 114*. That... is too hot for golf. :D

I'm heading to Palm Springs today. Hoping my 6:30am tee times tomorrow and Friday are the first ones of the day...and will be able to play right on through before it actually hits 114 lol.

I'll play mid summer over in NY when it's 90's and humid....but I usually get out early before the heat really picks ups. Just drink plenty of fluids and seek shade whenever possible. I think when I get back home I'm going to finally invest in a clicgear umbrella to go along with my pushcart.

It's never too hot to golf.. Here in the summer afternoons at SoTex, we hit 100 degree days plus high humidity. Just gotta stay hydrated during the round and drink plenty of pickle juice afterwards.

Looking forward to a 3rd Annual Golf Day from Hell on August 12th in Miamisburg. The 1st we did at The Legends south of Indy the day after 4" of rain and the course was cart path only. The 3rd 9 holes was closed due to flooding. It got to the upper 80's that day and the humidity was pretty brutal.

Last year we did two separate courses here in Clinton County and it was 75 at 8am when we started and got up to 92 degrees that afternoon. Humidity wasn't excessive but it wasn't hot enough. It becomes a battle of attrition at some point and I think I lost my shoes before the end of the round.

This year we have Pipestone and Jamaica Run scheduled. The host has a new pool and I was there a few weekends ago working on the deck around it. Sweat equity indeed...

I've never bailed because it was too hot but have had some rounds that had me questioning my sanity when done. 3-4 years ago I played 36 at Badlands in Vegas and it felt hot but there was a slight breeze which made it bearable most of the day. I drank 3 waters per 9 holes but never had to relieve myself. Started feeling it on last 9 coming in. Sitting outside waiting for cab to take me back to the hotel I checked my phone and it was 114* out. This was at 5:30pm.

Anything above 90 with extreme humidity can break a man or this man. Today and Saturday it was 95+ with high humidity. The back 9s were unbearable.
Sums me up. I suffer terribly, more than most with humidity. I don't say that to be dramatic, just comparing my level of profuse sweating vs the average person... for a pretty fit guy, I absolutely melt out there.

Back