What does it take to win your club championship?

Alan4014

Reaction score
Handicap
Our course had its club championship last weekend and the winner shot 67-70, -7.
Now, I'm no where close to that level, but I thought that was pretty impressive. I've been a member there for three years now and I'm pretty sure the winning score has been under par all three years. Also, of everyone entered, I would say 75% of them shot in the 70s both days.
FWIW, It's a smaller, less fancy club slightly outside of a city that has several very nice, higher priced clubs.
So I know there are many variables, but what does it take to win the club championship at your course?

Winner is usually -8 to -10 for the tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year winner shot -16 over two days at my course. Just insane

Typically around even par over 2 days wins it at my club.

That's impressive at that course.

For a small public course we have A TON of really good golfers. The top 3 right now all play D1 golf. Never mind the old guys who can break 75 on their with their eyes closed. My buds dad won it for like 10 years in a row and during that stretch he was a +2 flirting with a +3 handicap. It's bonkers

What does it take to win your club championship?

That's impressive at that course.

Same guy has shot a 28 on the front once.

Last edited:
I can't even comprehend that.

Me neither. And after he did, he went to work hahaha. Owns his own business. Chose not to play the back. Unreal

We've had the same winner for five straight years. He just graduated high school. Probably around -10 for two days.

Usually right around Even par wins ours. 54 holes of stroke play with the course set up as hard as possible.

They put the pins in tough spots for ours and the winner is normally 3-6 under for the 36 holes. The guy who won it last year won the N. California Senior Amateur Championship last year and is qualified for the 2017 British Senior Amateur.

Cheating?

Last year our winner was 3 under. He shot 68-73 for 2 days. That's the norm for us. When we changed our greens to bermuda, it was 3 over par due to them being so hard.

My home course doesn't have a typical club championship since it is a city run course but has a course championship and also the top 10 or so depending on the entries get a free entry to the 3 day city championship. It takes place in 2 or 3 weeks. Last year the winner was -8 (66-70 = 136) I think the lowest ever was -11 (63-70). The cut to make the city finals is normally 149 or 150.

I guess in my mind I was thinking something close to even par would be closer to the norm, but I guess a few under a day is more like it. Dang.

We've got a good number of ex D1 players and plus handicaps at our course. For the championship they'll stretch our hilly par 71 course to 7,000 yards and and tuck the pins on our tricky Donald Ross greens and make even par a pretty sporty number. Every once in a while someone will get hot and end up a few under but that's pretty rare.

Generally in the -3 to -7 range for the two days. Different course each day makes it really interesting.

My city course just had its Championship over the weekend. The winner was -11. One dude shot an -8 on the first day with a 28 on the back. Mind boggling really.

We've had the same winner for five straight years. He just graduated high school. Probably around -10 for two days.

That's silly. Hope he's going somewhere to play in college.

Our is match play, it typically takes an under par round to move on. I have lost twice while shooting 3 under.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's silly. Hope he's going somewhere to play in college.

He is full ride, D1. He's a good young man. 2nd place probable shoots 1 or 2 over.

Usually 3 or 4 under wins the championship at the three courses near me. Amazingly enough my friends dad has one each championship for the past 3 years. Last week he started the trifecta again by winning another going 68-69.

In that time he's also made the senior U.S. open and finished runner up twice in the GC am tour championship.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Same guy has shot a 28 on the front once.

That's nuts.

This will be my first year. I believe they break them everyone into flights I'm sure -5 wouldn't be unheard of for the Champ Flight

Back