Making a switch from 3W to 2H?

Hey THPers,

I just got back from a range session and oh boy was I frustrated. I cannot for whatever reason hit my 3 Wood. Never really could since I bought it and today was just icing on the cake. Anyone ever swapped out their 3 wood for a 2 Hybrid with the same degree loft? I am thinking about looking into making this switch. I love my 3 hybrid and it is probably my 2nd favorite club in my bag (next to my 8 iron). Any suggestions about this? Thanks guys!

Keyz

I haven't made the switch per se, however I am carrying a strong hybrid (set to 18 degrees) and a 3W in the bag now. I have noticed that I'm hitting the hybrid more often than I'm hitting the 3W.

Dax

Hey THPers,

I just got back from a range session and oh boy was I frustrated. I cannot for whatever reason hit my 3 Wood. Never really could since I bought it and today was just icing on the cake. Anyone ever swapped out their 3 wood for a 2 Hybrid with the same degree loft? I am thinking about looking into making this switch. I love my 3 hybrid and it is probably my 2nd favorite club in my bag (next to my 8 iron). Any suggestions about this? Thanks guys!

Keyz

I have, but I've gone back to a 3 wood because of the need to fill the distance gap. If you hit your 3 hybrid good, it might be the right choice.

Couple of quick thoughts. You are not alone having issues with a 3 wood, especially off the ground. The longer shaft and lower lift make it harder. First try everything... Low lifted hybrids and higher lifted woods and also shorter shafts in the woods. I would try a 5 wood as well to replace the 3 wood. Looking at around 18-19 degrees of loft vs 14-15 for most 3 woods. For me 4/5 and 7 woods are better but everyone is different. You would be amazed at how much easier a 5 wood is to hit (at least do for me). Low lofted hybrids (15-18 degree) hit it too low and not enough carry.Also if possible... Outdoor test on real grass and to know for sure launch monitor data.

Last year I replaced my 15* fwy with a 16* X2 Hot hybrid. I'm more consistent off the deck, it has a shorter shaft than the fwy making it easier for me to control, and it goes a mile... I haven't had a single thought of going back.

I dropped my 3 wood for an Adams super s 2 hybrid at 17* at the beginning of this season. I hit it much better than my previous 3 wood but still haven't been completely comfortable with it due to a two way miss that I just don't seem to have with any other club. It's the only club in my bag that I will randomly hit a big hook with that can really mess me up when expecting a straight shot or fade. I now have a x2 hot 4w also at 17 degrees loft that may replace the 2h. The 4w is 2 inches longer and almost 20 yards longer off of the tee. I haven't had the chance to hit it off the turf much yet, but my dispersion seems to be similar.

Im in a similar boat. I recently dropped my 5 wood for 3 hybrid since i couldnt launch it high or hit it straight enough. Great move. I was thinking about switching my 3 wood to a 4 wood or 1/2 hybrid. I figured i rarely ever hit my 3 wood and i rather have another club to hit off the deck. I can hit the 3 wood good off the tee but can never hit it off the deck. Im leaning more towards a hybrid since theyre also great out of the rough.

I changed out my 3 wood last year for the
2 hybrid Amp cell +2.
Have not looked back.

Go to your local golf shop and get fitted / find a 3 wood you can hit. I love my 3 wood as well as my hybrid, but I feel like my 3 wood is necessary, and wouldn't drop it.

Shorter shaft is one thing. But most hybrid heads are smaller than woods. I'm not sure how a smaller hybrid head is more forgiving than a larger 3wood.

I think what he's getting at is that a lot of times shaft length makes something harder to hit than clubhead size for many people. Who cares what the size of the head is if the shaft length makes you uncomfortable and not able to put a good swing on it. So even though the clubhead isn't as forgiving, as you said, the hybrid length might still make it easier for him to put a good swing on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read through the thread and it seems there's some disagreement on what loft constitutes a 2h (or 3h...). I guess that's one reason it is hard to compare "like" clubs across manufacturers. In my bag, the 2H is 16*, 3H 19*, 4H 22* and 5H 25*. My 3 wood is 15*.

I always play the 3W and generally 2, 4, 5 hybrids (occasionally I'll put the 3 in the bag and drop the 2 or 4). I added the 2H (and dropped the 3H) because the gap between 3W and 3H was too big (240 - 210). For me, the 2H can push up to 225 but gripped down plays easily to 210.

Personally, I like hitting both my 3W and 2H and they both occupy unique slots in my bag.

Recently was fit to a 5w instead of a 3w. Because the 5w was that much easier to hit, my carries and total distance were actually much better than the 3w. If recommend you consider that as an option. Also, I'd be wary of fitting clubs based on loft. Lower lofted clubs don't always go further depending on your swing.

I have a 2H that I probably won't get rid of any time soon (Cobra Baffler H 17*) but it was more of a 5W/7W than a 3W. Most 3W are between 42.5-43" while most 2H are going to be 40-41" I would guess.

My recommendation is see if you can pick up an older model for cheap and do some testing to see if you have better luck with it than the 3W. As others have said, might try at a 4W or 5W as well as sometimes those are easier to get airborne than the 3W.

Thanks all for the continued suggestions and thoughts! I really think I need to get fitted/get a 3 wood that suits me better. Like some have mentioned, my 3W shaft just feels long and uncomfortable. I don't think it helps that I am working with a Taylormade Super fast burner 2.0 3W. I heard these already have a longer standard shaft than most to add the extra yardage they advertised.....

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I play a shorter 4w in place of 3w. I have never really had issues with distance and don't need a second club that goes almost as long as my driver. The 4w ie easier to elevate off the deck and gives me a better gap between it and driver if I really want to eliminate going too long and being in trouble. I also play a 7w in place of a 3h and my hybrid is 26 degrees. That loft seems to be a perfect 3/4 iron replacement for me.

I actually dumped my 3w for a 2h 2 years ago, and it has been one of my best golf decisions I've ever made. I don't hit the 2h quite as far as my 3w but I hit it much more consistently, and it fits my yardage gaps better.

I did it once. Worst equipment related decision I've ever made.
I did it once. Best equipment related decision I've ever made.

I was just like you. I hit my hybrids wonderfully. I hit them so good, in fact, that I've got them all the way from a 3H down to a 7H in my Big Bertha's. However, about 2 years ago or so, I decided to take the 3W out of the bag. It just wasn't worth it. For every good, 230 yard shot down the middle I hit with it, I'd hit 3 big hooks or slices with it. I figured if I was over 200-210 yards (max of my 3H) I'd just have to lay up. The hybrids I was hitting at the time were the RAZR XF hybrids (very easy to hit). When Callaway released the XHot line, I tried the hybrids at a demo day and they were great but not any better than my RAZR XFs. However, I thought, "what if I bought a 2H (16 degree) in the XHot line to replace the spot in the bag where my 3W used to be. It shouldn't be any harder to hit than the 3H, right? Well, here's the thing. First of all, the regular XHOT line only had a 3H which was the lowest loft in that line. In order to get the 16 degree 2H, I had to get the XHOT Pro, so I decided to order one online even though I hadn't hit it but figured it should be very similar to the XHOT 3H I hit. Wrong. Much different. At least for me. The lack of offset and lower loft made it much harder to hit than my current 3H (21 degree). I definitely hit it better than the 3W, to be honest, but not enough to trust it. I still had a good 50% chance that I was going to hit some awful shot. It just wasn't worth the benefit of trying to reach a par 5 in two. Maybe you'll have better luck. Mine got sent to Callaway Pre-Owned in a trade in for a BB Alpha 815 driver.

I play the 2011 Taylormade 2 Rescue as a 3W replacement. It is a 16* club with a neutral face. I have the face opened up & that drops the loft to 15*.

I am way more consistent with this club than I've been with any 3W & just as long.

I think the key is a shorter shaft & a hot face.

Shorter shaft is one thing. But most hybrid heads are smaller than woods. I'm not sure how a smaller hybrid head is more forgiving than a larger 3wood.

The other thing is - how much distance are you willing to lose? I would be very surprised if you hit a 2 hybrid as far as a 3 wood. ( typically a longer, lighter shaft ) The main purpose of a 3 wood for me is for those times ( fewer & fewer now! ) when I try to get to a par 5 in 2.

Back