Got a junior tournament tomorrow. Any tips?

claycribbs

Fear the Dolphin Swag!
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a junior tournament tomorrow. Any tips?????? I'm nervous, excited, and anxious at the same time....

Play your game, not your competitor.

Once you start getting in a pissing contest with someone better than you, it's all over.

Only swing pointer to give:
Keep a soft right elbow, tightness in that area will cause shots to fly everywhere.

Play your game, not your competitor.

Once you start getting in a pissing contest with someone better than you, it's all over.

Only swing pointer to give:
Keep a soft right elbow, tightness in that area will cause shots to fly everywhere.

Care to elaborate on that? Really don't get what your saying

Dont worry about all that is around you and just have fun.

I have a junior tournament tomorrow. Any tips?????? I'm nervous, excited, and anxious at the same time....

I don't know how much experience you have, but focus on what you're doing, not what others are doing. My daughter did quite well in some smaller events and par three tournaments last summer. When she stepped up to play two bigger events, she freaked out just watching some of the boys hit balls on the range before she even teed off. Even though what boys could do had nothing to do with her flight as she was a twelve year old girl.

Get there early, hit some balls, especially wedges. Get the feel of the scoring clubs in your hands before you tee off. You score with your short irons.

Most importantly, have a GREAT time. That's what's important. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Kevin

Care to elaborate on that? Really don't get what your saying

When you start getting to mechanical with your swing, you don't let your right elbow stay "soft" while turning. You will make an all arms backswing, and be very rigid.

If you have a soft elbow at address (tension free), it will naturally bend as you start your backswing, set pointing perpendicular to the ground at the top, and then start a nice downswing.

Just keep your arms tension free; DON'T BE NERVOUS. If you are relaxed at address, you will make a decent swing, regardless of fundamentals.

But like what others say, do not look at others on the range, and start psyching yourself out. I've played in tons of tournaments, and those who go out on the range and showoff, tend to be the ones who choke on the course. Just go out there, hit it, and chase it. One shot at a time.

Thanks guys... I know with THP gang behind me, I'll have to do well.:banana:

Like others have said, play your game. Don't even look at what others are doing.

Stay positive. Thinking about bad things = visualizing bad things = doing bad things.

It's too late to be working on anything new related to your swing. Don't try to make any changes. Don't even think about your swing unless it's something you and your pro/coach have worked on previously. Just warm up, and when it's time, think about the shot you want to hit.

One.Shot.At.A.Time. The last one doesn't matter because it's done. The next one isn't important because you don't know what it will be yet.

Note: I am still working on all of these things. And usually failing. But that doesn't stop me from still trying every time I go out.

Came back and read this thread again.... Another tourney tomorrow.... Short course.... PAPAS GOT A CHANCE TO SCORE WELL!

Relax, have fun and enjoy yourself. If you try to do more than that, you just put too much pressure on yourself. It's just golf. :golf2:

Play your game and have fun, remember to look around enjoy the beautiful course.

All I can do is wish you luck Clay.

In my one attempt at playing a local junior tournament back in the day, I withdrew after four holes because I had better things to do than embarass myself that badly (had to pick out a locker for High School :act-up:).

Came back and read this thread again.... Another tourney tomorrow.... Short course.... PAPAS GOT A CHANCE TO SCORE WELL!

Good luck tomorrow. Have fun with it.

Tournaments focus your game like nothing else. Have fun and look at every shot's result as a new chance to figure out the puzzle.

How did it go, Junior?

Kevin

shot a 48..... played decent; was slicing everything..... I was unlucky and a ball landed in the mud and it got stuck in there and I couldn't find it.... So lost strokes there. I went on the range after and one of my friend's dad and we worked on working my swing to the inside and I was hitting it a ton straighter. I went out and played today I shot a record low 37.Had an eagle from the fairway. I have another tournament tomorrow and I have a lot of confidence going in. So I can't wait!

I went out and played today I shot a record low 37.Had an eagle from the fairway. I have another tournament tomorrow and I have a lot of confidence going in. So I can't wait!

Awesome, keep it up man. Confidence is key.

shot a 48..... played decent; was slicing everything..... I was unlucky and a ball landed in the mud and it got stuck in there and I couldn't find it.... So lost strokes there. I went on the range after and one of my friend's dad and we worked on working my swing to the inside and I was hitting it a ton straighter. I went out and played today I shot a record low 37.Had an eagle from the fairway. I have another tournament tomorrow and I have a lot of confidence going in. So I can't wait!

You have a great attitude. Good luck tomorrow.

Kevin

You have a great attitude. Good luck tomorrow.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! I know I'm only going to get out of it what I put in it. I knew I had no shot to shoot low if I didn't fix that cut.....and look at me now. With a record low. When I drive the ball like I did today I know I can shoot low scores.

Thanks Kevin! I know I'm only going to get out of it what I put in it. I knew I had no shot to shoot low if I didn't fix that cut.....and look at me now. With a record low. When I drive the ball like I did today I know I can shoot low scores.

I fought a terrible slice as a kid. The left handed banana. You would have sworn I was hitting a small white boomerang that might bend all the way back to me. Couldn't hit it a lick, either, but I could putt and chip like nobody's business. Keep it in the fairway and always work a ton on your short game. How old are you? Are these high school events, or are you playing as an individual?

Kevin

I fought a terrible slice as a kid. The left handed banana. You would have sworn I was hitting a small white boomerang that might bend all the way back to me. Couldn't hit it a lick, either, but I could putt and chip like nobody's business. Keep it in the fairway and always work a ton on your short game. How old are you? Are these high school events, or are you playing as an individual?

Kevin

I'll be 14 Thursday. It is middle school events.

I'll be 14 Thursday. It is middle school events.

Nice to have that in middle school. My daughter is in 7th grade and she has to wait for high school for team events. The school board is talking about cutting freshman and JV golf in our district. My wife just went to a meeting and told them they were idiots, but in a nice way.

So she'll have to make varsity as a freshman just to be sure. Keep at it, Junior. It's fun, isn't it?

Kevin

yeah middle school events in my city would be nice i have to wait till next year and tryout for varsity golf

Good luck Clay!

Please remember that everyone else is just as nervous, though they might not look it. Trust yourself, trust your swing. :)

Back