Driver: Peak Height and LA - Do you know yours?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Playing around on the Foresight GC2 today with a couple different drivers battling for the bag (that thread to come later tonight) and Ddec and I had a little conversation about the numbers I shared with him. What was telling is the peak height vs the launch angle it took to get there.

So in the effort to stir some interesting convo, I hope, I pose these questions THP'ers:

Do you know your driver launch angle and peak height? Additionally, which do you put more weight on? What do you think is the ideal peak height range with driver?

No idea....but know that I typically have to adjust to bring it down to what "looks" to be more ideal.

JB helped me years ago get dialed in but I can't recall the numbers.

My driver launch angle varies between about -2* and 90* with the vast majority of shots being near one of those extremes...that's why I don't use one.

I have no clue what either is for me and could not even venture a guess at what ideal peak height is.

Not sure with current driver to be honest, which is sad since I was hitting with @ddec on the LM last weekend. I ended up getting hyper focused on my ridiculous spin numbers. I'm not sure any one number, can have more weight placed on it then the others, LA is no good if you're ballooning, and peak height doesn't necessarily tell a complete tale either. I think we need to account for both of these, as well as spin, ballspeed, and efficiency if we're going to really get dialed in.

I have no idea of the numbers, but lofting up and teeing the ball a bit lower has produced a higher overall flight and some real nice distance in the zero roll out we have here in Florida's wet soft Courses.

Would be interesting to see what the numbers actually are for sure, I have tried to play the flight lower in the past to try and gain some rollout yards but they are just not there to be gotten most of the time and I think my AOA is pretty steep most times.

I tried hovering the driver the last time out and saw some good centerface contact but the flight was more line drive and 230 was about all I could get out of it. The longest drives are definitely the high flight shots.

I believe my launch angle last time I was on something that measured it was around 14*, and my peak height was around 38y.

I put more weight on peak height I guess, whether that be right or wrong, that seems to be the number I care about. Ideal numbers I believe are determined by your ball speeds, but I'm not sure what they should be for me.

I don't have any idea either. I do know that the ball ends up way too close to the tee, especially after playing with some THPers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

For me it really depends. I've gotten really comfortable hitting a low bullet into a wind, a high cutter going down wind and a mid slight draw/straight (sometimes :D) when it's called for. I really can manipulate height based on how long I'm staying behind the ball.

To go along with your other thread you bumped, last LM session I did showed an average of 34yds peak height. Whether that's ideal or not for me, I dunno. But I like the numbers that were on the monitor. :D

I know launch and spin from the last time I was on gc2, but I can't remember paying any attention to what the peak height was.

Last time I measured, peak height for me was around 26 yards and I believe LA was steady around 12 degrees. I don't put much on either. Tend not to chase any numbers. If it goes far, that's find by me, I'm not consistent enough to focus on them.

I have seen my peak heights right around 35 yards. I usually get there with a 12.5° ish launch angle.

12-13 launch. Peak hovers around 34 yards.

Peak height for me is what I typically pay the most attention to. Mostly because it's something I can see. Launch angle is the delivery method to that peak height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not positive but I think my launch angle is typically around 12.5*-13.5*. The peak height I have no idea about but now you have my interest piqued to find out.

Peak height is between 160-188 feet. Just a touch high.

Launch Angle: 11.5 to 12 degrees. Needs to come up IMO
Peak Height: 31-33y. This could also come up slightly IMO

Fun fact for those who might not know, the tour average for peak height is iirc 32y.

Dug up my last Trackman report:
Launch: 13.3*
Peak Height: 94.9 ft.

I really like the flight I get out of these numbers and would be perfectly happy to keep hitting the ball this way. I find myself keeping up with or even outdriving other players who have faster swing speeds than I do quite often.

I was between 13-14* launch during my driver fitting. I didn't get peak height with my driver fitting but it was pretty close to what I was seeing with my previous fitter driver that was in the 95-100' range

Launch angle 11*
Peak height 100'

I have no idea. At ECPC my launch angle was around 14*, but not sure if it has changed .

One of the things I'm concentrating on with my THCE tester shaft is really paying attention for ball flight and peak height.

Trackman fitting last fall had me launching a little over 13* with an average peak of 86'. My longest shots were usually those that peaked higher.

Driver: Peak Height and LA - Do you know yours?

Launch angle for me Don't know the number as it differs from session to session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Launch angle is 14* to 17*, I don't know peak height and it is not something I look at that often. Concerning driver AOA, launch angle and spin rate are about the only things I look at.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back