Let's Talk Alignment

JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The side discussion on alignment that popped up in the ball position thread has raised some questions for me regarding alignment. Among them:

Given the number of body parts involved, how do I know I'm aligned correctly to the target, say the flag for the purpose of the discussion?

Is there a quick way for me to verify correct alignment when standing over the ball, like laying the club shaft across the hips to dads where it points?

Are three any other visual or feel cures I can use to verify proper alignment?

How can I determine if a poorly placed shot is due to a bad swing vs improper alignment?

Is there a quick way for me to verify correct alignment when standing over the ball, like laying the club shaft across the hips to dads where it points?

I see people doing this, also across the chest. I have no idea how this helps. I never see anyone really adjust after they do this, and if they think they are squared up before they do it, how does cocking your head and looking down the line do anything?

It may in fact work. I have tried it and I don't get it.

I kind of asked this question the other day and the solution i came up with the intermediate target line and trusting that what you picked out. So far after one round, it works.

I struggle with alignment off the tee box & usually I'll check my feet and shoulders. Typically I'm off and I'll shut my shoulders closed to my target and while I think I'm closed, it actually lines me up perfect.

I typically pick out a line about 5ft or so in front of me and concentrate to start my ball on that line.

alignment sticks can help as well. Put one on the ground for your target, one in your belt loops and one across your chest this will help determine if your hips, shoulders and feet are aligned.

The side discussion on alignment that popped up in the ball position thread has raised some questions for me regarding alignment. Among them:

Given the number of body parts involved, how do I know I'm aligned correctly to the target, say the flag for the purpose of the discussion?

How can I determine if a poorly placed shot is due to a bad swing vs improper alignment?

Practice swing. I take two before I fully address the ball. Not taking a huge divot, but I pay close attention to the mark I'm leaving in the grass. This lets me know if I'm swinging on the correct line. Also, always pick a spot just in front of the ball, about 4 to 5 feet for me as my aim point. It is hard to aim at something 250 or whatever yards away. Pick a spot in front of the ball in line with your target from behind the ball.

Practice swing. I take two before I fully address the ball. Not taking a huge divot, but I pay close attention to the mark I'm leaving in the grass. This lets me know if I'm swinging on the correct line. Also, always pick a spot just in front of the ball, about 4 to 5 feet for me as my aim point. It is hard to aim at something 250 or whatever yards away. Pick a spot in front of the ball in line with your target from behind the ball.
Do you aim slighlty right of your divot?

One thing I have been doing, and it is very interesting, is using the line on the ball off the tee like some do for putts. It was just amazing to me how different it looks when you line it up from behind, then see how it looks from the side. I really had to trust the line was correct, ( at first even had some playing partners confirm the line I took ) because over the ball it looked off - but it wasn't. Off the turf I pick a spot in the distance, then find a spot 3-4' in front of my ball on that line

I think the club across the shoulder / hip thing is a great tool when practicing with someone else. My son was hitting a lot of pushes, etc and getting really frustrated. I had him tell me his target was and then watched him set up. I put the club across his shoulder and he couldn't believe where it was lined up to. Told him to remember the club is going to swing along the shoulder line.

For me it's easier if I pick a spot a few yards ahead of me on a line with my target and align to that.

I aim my club face to that and make sure my body lines up to that. Works when I swing well.

Use alignment rods at the range every time. Ingrain the correct alignment there (visual/feel) and it will transfer to the course. I used to have horrible alignment, and it still sometimes gets out of wack, but using alignment rods or something like a club along the ground helps tremendously and it's way better for me than it used to be. Once you learn how it looks in the correct position, it's easier to replicate it on course.

There is no sure fire way to check your alignment. It's get better the more you practice it but is it an exact science, no.
On the course, if you find an intermediate target between your ball and your intended target, this will help. If you physically look down at your knees, hips and shoulders, it will help. If you look down your lead shoulder line before you swing, this will help.

If you're aligned to the best of your ability and miss hit the ball, you'll know why. Or you'll be able to tell someone what you saw and they can tell you the reason. Being aligned properly takes away one part of the equation. It's not something you have to look too if a bad shot occurs. The more you practice being aligned the more second nature it will become.

One thing I have been doing, and it is very interesting, is using the line on the ball off the tee like some do for putts. It was just amazing to me how different it looks when you line it up from behind, then see how it looks from the side. I really had to trust the line was correct, ( at first even had some playing partners confirm the line I took ) because over the ball it looked off - but it wasn't. Off the turf I pick a spot in the distance, then find a spot 3-4' in front of my ball on that line

Same thing that I do on every tee shot. I figure that I get 18 shots a round to use the line on my ball to get the alignment right and tee it up too, why not do it?

I struggle with alignment, with me normally being lined up more right than what I think I am.

I struggle with alignment, with me normally being lined up more right than what I think I am.

One thing you can do is set the club behind the ball aligned with your target with your right hand and then build your stance. This allows you to be facing more forward while aligning the club rather than looking over your shoulder. If you want, you can also pick an aiming point a few yards in front of the ball.

For me it's easier if I pick a spot a few yards ahead of me on a line with my target and align to that.

I aim my club face to that and make sure my body lines up to that. Works when I swing well.

^^This^^

I stand behind the ball and look at a line to the target. I then pick a spot a few feet in front of the ball that is on the target line and aim my club face on that line. I then adjust feet and body. Has worked well for me.

I've never quite understood the pick a point 5 feet in front of you thing. If your spot is off 2 inches at two yards on a 150 yard shot that's 12 feet off the target.

I do sort of get the aim just left of your target (for righthanders) since your eyes are a couple feet off the ball and assuming a parallel line between the ball and pin and your eyes and aim point this makes sense.

My swing is too inconsistent to worry about that. I think using aim sticks in practice is a solid approach. It will help train your eyes to setup square to the target. I find myself getting sloppy in my setup and keeping my right foot back a touch, probably to aid my backswing. If I notice one go further right than normal I usual kick myself and am sure that my toes, knees and shoulders are all squared up.

I go behind the ball and use the shaft of whatever club I am hitting as a straight edge from the middle of the ball to any little mark I can find 8, 10 or 12 inches in front of it that is on my intended starting line (much like Justin Rose). Then I set the club behind the ball pointing at the mark and then setup my body to the club. For some, it's easier to take their grip beforehand and align the whole thing to the ball/target line. Using the second technique, the trick is to make sure that you don't cheat a little and just twist the club face with the hands to point down the line.

Another key for me is that, once setup, I try to rotate my head around the spinal axis (do not lift it up) as I look down my intended line to make sure I'm lined up where I want to be.

Justin Rose club shaft alignment..

https://youtu.be/r_8wtvXIUaU?t=35m25s

And finally, don't be afraid to adjust your alignment if it doesn't seem right. 9 times out of 10, when I get lazy and think that I can just make some minor correction during my swing to compensate for feeling slightly misaligned, I end up completely screwing up the shot.

Last edited:
Back