Can you really trust launch monitors ?

lanoxrehab

Reaction score
Handicap
Went into local golf shop to kill some time and shop for the next must-have club. Started hitting some clubs off the monitor they have and could not hit worth shite. I was hitting the Heavenwood way right and it went 133 - 148 yards.

I don't believe those numbers are accurate. What do you all think of launch monitor numbers ?

Launch monitors are trustworthy.

Simulators are not trustworthy.

This very well could be the shortest thread question/answer THP has ever had. Answer doesn't get any better than this!

Even the CG2 launch monitor that most shops use for fittings can be way off. Their older software would really inflate the distance on low spin clubs.
Most of the time I won't consider a club unless I see outdoor ball flight.

Even the CG2 launch monitor that most shops use for fittings can be way off. Their older software would really inflate the distance on low spin clubs.
Most of the time I won't consider a club unless I see outdoor ball flight.

I'm glad you posted this because you are correct here. Whatever algorithm the older Foresight launch monitor uses completely inflates distance on low spin shots, but I believe they have corrected that now.

I'm glad you posted this because you are correct here. Whatever algorithm the older Foresight launch monitor uses completely inflates distance on low spin shots, but I believe they have corrected that now.

They have for years. All someone had to do was update or send in for service.
FWIW, FlightScope and Trackman had the same issue with different numbers. We saw average strikes showing 1.51-1.56 smash factor. Fortunately they have corrected that (for the most part).

I agree, but it depends on who is running the machine.............

Both of my local golf stores are Dicks Sporting Goods, just in different directions. They both have GC2 and very different results. I can hit an Apex 4H 140yds on the one closest to me, and 200yds on the the other. The 200yds is much more accurate for range and course distances. I've always found this to be really odd. Glad others have noticed some variances.

If the underlying question is can you trust the numbers in a closed environment when comparing 2 clubs against each other, then I agree with the comments above. But if the real question is can you expect the same numbers on the course, my experience says no, particularly with iron carry distances.

If you're afraid the LM is going to be inaccurate just take your current stick in as a baseline to validate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really good thread and great answers!

Fortunately my local shop allows you to check out demo and used clubs for free to test on the course or range. Let's just say this has saved me a lot of dough and clubs I thought would work but didn't pan out.

I generally trust the launch monitor, but I'm usually wary of the guy running it. Just because you got a job at Golf Galaxy, doesn't really mean you know how to optimize clubs. The cookie cutter formula doesn't work for all golfers. Whenever I'm getting fit, I try to do a lot of research and find the best fitter available.

I know that in the Sim at the DICK'S that Eliterate and I work at, iron distance tends to be over stated that what you would get on a range or course, and in turn the driver & woods distance tends to be under what you will see on the course or range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back